New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS 2015/2016  (Read 208251 times)

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS 2015/2016
« Reply #30 on: Dec 07, 2015, 10:03 PM »
gotta admit Shane....laker fishing that day with you guys was a great time.....not looking too good for Keuka this year  as of right now, but could change at any time....gotta hook up on our lake this year

Omg I remember that day, I was in big pain that day...  That ended up being the most fun on the ice ever, god was that fun over there... I'm afraid we aint fishin there this season, but I'm looking very forward too Oneida freezing up, we'll hook up for sure, I'll make a few trips over too the southshore and we'll walk out together.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2015, 07:26 AM »
  Omg I remember that day, I was in big pain that day...  That ended up being the most fun on the ice ever, god was that fun over there... I'm afraid we aint fishin there this season, but I'm looking very forward too Oneida freezing up, we'll hook up for sure, I'll make a few trips over too the southshore and we'll walk out together.
sounds like a plan.......want to hit the north shore some time with ya......been ice fishing the lake my whole life and have never gone off the north shore other than edgewater.......sounds like a shorter walk to some walleye waters too me.....and, yes you were in alot of pain that day on Keuka.....hope your feeling better bud

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2015, 08:41 AM »
Lol great pic s10!
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline skunkedbywalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • come on baby
« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2015, 06:01 PM »
Snagger....i fished keuka when i went to college there! The skanker fishing is fun once ya learn the local tips! I caught a ton of fish once learning the secrets....a lot like oneida! I have not picked any local minds on oneida since i really dont know anyone that way but i fish it hard every year......keuka is the prettiest finger lake as well. Good luck with the back.... I know your pain

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2015, 06:10 PM »

If you don't mind me asking...have you been to a Dr or been diagnosed? Ive had a bulging disk a few times in my lower back. Talk about crippling...ever try taking a crap with a bad back? NOT FUN! haha...went to physical therapy and they showed me a few things I can do anytime I feel pain. Ever since then I do the stretches and it goes away almost instantly. Might be something to look into
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2015, 08:20 PM »
hello gents! Jason congrats on the new addition to the family!!!

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:54 PM »
Yeah Snagger I am up to 4 bulged discs now after having 2 from a tennis injury 10 years ago. About once a year my back goes out on me and I can't walk straight for about 3 weeks.  Aleve and ice are key for me when I am in pain and physical therapy when I am feeling healthy enough to do the excercises.  Those cold, windy days on the ice can really flare things up.  Hope you're feeling better now and haven't had any trouble with the back since last winter. 
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 14, 2015, 11:00 AM »
millions of buckeyes swimming on the east end right now. Pretty crazy to see so many it looks like rain. No ice

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 15, 2015, 05:24 AM »
The extended forecast shows 60 degrees on Christmas!  :blink: :blink:

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 15, 2015, 06:08 AM »
After being in the deer woods 5 days a week this season a mild winter is just what we need to increase the herd but sure Isn't gonna be good for making ice

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 15, 2015, 06:45 AM »
Hey Snag being our resident metoroligist whats your prediction for fishing on Onieda?

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 15, 2015, 03:11 PM »
After being in the deer woods 5 days a week this season a mild winter is just what we need to increase the herd but sure Isn't gonna be good for making ice

I agree the deer need a break.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 16, 2015, 06:44 AM »
I know about the deer. Area 9N was hit very hard by the last two winters. A mild winter will help that area out a lot. I lucked out on a nice buck during crossbow but have seen very little since.

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 16, 2015, 07:39 PM »
Bowhunted this evening 11 doe one nice 8 pt 30 yards but for some dumb reason if you hunt your ass off all year and pass on tons of deer and u get down to the last week you cant shoot a nice buck......but kill all the does you want even though the population is way down......who decides on these rules

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #44 on: Dec 16, 2015, 08:13 PM »
Bowhunted this evening 11 doe one nice 8 pt 30 yards but for some dumb reason if you hunt your ass off all year and pass on tons of deer and u get down to the last week you cant shoot a nice buck......but kill all the does you want even though the population is way down......who decides on these rules

Ha i couldn't shoot a buck from Oct. 1- Oct 15th and from Dec. 14- 22nd. But in my opinion it is the best thing NY could do to help promote growing mature (3.5 years and older) without an antler restriction (I would like to see that too). This year deer numbers have been down all over the state due to the past winter and the harvest numbers should show that once the DEC collects and releases the data once all the seasons are over. Hopefully they are smart enough to change the amount of doe permits given (we can get 4 DMPs down here in 3M)

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #45 on: Dec 16, 2015, 08:29 PM »

Ha i couldn't shoot a buck from Oct. 1- Oct 15th and from Dec. 14- 22nd. But in my opinion it is the best thing NY could do to help promote growing mature (3.5 years and older) without an antler restriction (I would like to see that too). This year deer numbers have been down all over the state due to the past winter and the harvest numbers should show that once the DEC collects and releases the data once all the seasons are over. Hopefully they are smart enough to change the amount of doe permits given (we can get 4 DMPs down here in 3M)
What makes you think Joe Tile guy... aka me, who hunts 6-8 days a year, would want what you want. I'm content with a crotch horn and 2 does. Why should you or anyone tell me what I can shoot on state land with my tag.... SMH  :nono:

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #46 on: Dec 16, 2015, 10:40 PM »
What makes you think Joe Tile guy... aka me, who hunts 6-8 days a year, would want what you want. I'm content with a crotch horn and 2 does. Why should you or anyone tell me what I can shoot on state land with my tag.... SMH  :nono:

If that's what makes you happy than that's fine... Wasn't telling you what you can or can not shoot.... Me personally I would rather go without a buck (which I did this year) than shoot a 1.5 year old or an 80" 2.5 year old... If I need the meat I'll shoot a doe.... Wasn't trying to start a debate just like the direction NYS is going in.... and uhh I don't care how long you boil those dang antlers they are still a pain to eat!

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 16, 2015, 11:26 PM »
Hey Snag being our resident metoroligist whats your prediction for fishing on Onieda?

Funny I made a prediction of first ice on January 10th back in November, pretty sure my first blown prediction in 7 yrs is coming.. Last night I studied my notes from 2011-2012 season, its as close a December as you can get, it was the 4th warmest on record, that winter ended up being very warm, one of the warmest ever....we ice fished from January 20th til February 29th that season, remember us making the news for breaking free at Sylvan on February 29th? But in order too get safe ice by the 20th, we had 2 days of below zero temps, one night it was minus 16, without wind and or snow for 2 days. What are the chances that happens again, we need too start cooling down around the first of January too have any hope at ice fishing in January, besides maybe a small chunk on the northeast corner, Williams or constancia, My new prediction is January 23rd for safe ice somewhere. 

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 17, 2015, 06:45 AM »
Anyone know who sells Otter ice shelters locally?
Specifically, I want to see the Otter Outdoors XT Cottage Ice Shelter in person to assess whether I can fit 3 5-gallon buckets behind its bench seat.
With this warm weather, there a good chance ice shelters will be on sale after Xmas.

Thanks,
Dave
The tug is the drug.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Dec 17, 2015, 08:01 AM »

I agree!!!!  you can't eat  horns .....yes  a  few  guys want to  kill a  trophy  but  most  hunters   just want to fill the  freezer  and  have  fun ......I have  a  room full of  big racks  and  they  mean  no more  then  a small doe I shot  with my recurve.....  shot  what ya want  have  fun and  pass the tradition on  ,  anti hunters  love us  fighting amongs  ourselves

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 17, 2015, 08:47 AM »
Anyone know who sells Otter ice shelters locally?
Specifically, I want to see the Otter Outdoors XT Cottage Ice Shelter in person to assess whether I can fit 3 5-gallon buckets behind its bench seat.
With this warm weather, there a good chance ice shelters will be on sale after Xmas.

Thanks,
Dave

Runnings in Rome has a few Otters on display. Haven't been there in a few weeks so I don't know if they have the XT Cottage specifically.

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 17, 2015, 11:02 AM »
Bought a new Otter last year at cabelas in buffalo awesome tent and I did see a huge selection at the running in Canandaigua I love the tub super heavy duty and the square poles slide very nice

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 17, 2015, 07:32 PM »
Funny I made a prediction of first ice on January 10th back in November, pretty sure my first blown prediction in 7 yrs is coming.. Last night I studied my notes from 2011-2012 season, its as close a December as you can get, it was the 4th warmest on record, that winter ended up being very warm, one of the warmest ever....we ice fished from January 20th til February 29th that season, remember us making the news for breaking free at Sylvan on February 29th? But in order too get safe ice by the 20th, we had 2 days of below zero temps, one night it was minus 16, without wind and or snow for 2 days. What are the chances that happens again, we need too start cooling down around the first of January too have any hope at ice fishing in January, besides maybe a small chunk on the northeast corner, Williams or constancia, My new prediction is January 23rd for safe ice somewhere.

Remember how hard the wind blew after those 2 days below zero? I have never seen wind blow 4" of fresh ice off when the whole lake was locked. We destroyed the eyes that year though!  ;D

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #53 on: Dec 17, 2015, 07:33 PM »

Doesn't sound too good for Old Geezers that need a sled to get out there...  :-\
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 17, 2015, 10:13 PM »
I hunt for the meat...a racker is a bonus! Ended up shooting a spike this year.

A good quote I heard once is "trophy hunters don't throw out the meat and meat hunters don't throw out a big rack   ;D

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 18, 2015, 04:45 AM »
Looks like I might actually have snow to hunt in this weekend. Now I have to dodge the lake effect to get there.
My earlier prediction for ice the last week of Jan. for Oneida and the last week of Feb. for Erie still holds. Unfortunately this gives my wife plenty of time to think up home improvement projects for me.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:04 AM »

your predictions looking good Pequod, theres some white stuff on the cars and roofs here this morning.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 18, 2015, 10:45 AM »
Light snow on the north shore on and off all morning

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 18, 2015, 04:37 PM »
I know i will get on Oneida this winter. Something special about this lake. Has a lot to do with the people that fish it. Don't think we will be on Keuka this winter, at least in the state park area. I bet a lot of you guys liked that.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:11 PM »
Keuka is special too. Great scenery and a great fishery. Those fish can use a break too...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.