Author Topic: Shelley Pond  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Doofus22

• IceShanty Rookie
Shelley Pond
« on: Nov 30, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Has any one checked the ice conditions on the Shelley pond across from Bingham Park?
Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Offline Doofus22

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Shelley Pond
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2015, 11:43 PM »
Went out this evening and found that people had been fishing it over the weekend. Currently 4"- 6" of ice.

Offline sten668

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2015, 01:58 PM »
I have never fished there. I am thinking of taking my grandkids there. Are there perch there?
GOD is everything or HE is nothing!! you decide...

Offline Doofus22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2015, 03:46 PM »
Sten668, Yes there is perch, small mouth, rainbows, and browns. Roberts gravel pond is a ton of fun for kid as they can sight fish. But most of the perch at Roberts are small.

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2015, 09:59 PM »
I think I'll head over there in the morning and check it out. Do guys usually just park there on the east side of it? The only time I've seen someone fishing there they were way up by the mouth where the river is, is thT generally a good place to set up?

Offline Doofus22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2015, 10:30 PM »
Up by the mouth is good, but with the water flowing in there it doesn't get thick enough to be safe as quickly so be careful up there. Any where there is trees poking through is good also. To the west by the river is a parking lot, and is the best place to access it as all the property on the east is private.

Offline Doofus22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2015, 10:40 PM »
My profile pic was taken two years ago on the Shelley pond down by the mouth.

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2015, 10:42 PM »
Very nice. Thanks for the info. Sounds like you better just come over and show me how it's done.

Offline Doofus22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2015, 10:50 PM »
I'm not sure that I could show how its done, but I do get lucky and catch some nice ones now and again. I will be there Friday after 9 am with my daughter and again Saturday morning with my wife and kids.

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2015, 03:07 PM »
Well, I went down there to fish but chickened out, ice looked way too sketchy for me and I didn't bring a spud bar.

Offline Doofus22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2015, 06:53 PM »
Groundtrac, I should have mentioned that. The top lair of ice melted then refroze. If I didn't have my spud bar I would not have tried it either.

Offline Doofus22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2015, 03:33 PM »
Just got home from taking the kids to Shelley pond. The ice was 8"-10" thick on the south end, and still had some open water on the north end by the inlet. Fishing was ok, we caught and released 1- 9" Brown, 2- 12"-14" rainbows, and 5 or 6 Perch max of 8". All in all it was a fun first day on the ice for us. 

Offline sten668

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2015, 02:06 AM »
Thanks for the info Doofus. I plan on getting there soon with the little ones.
GOD is everything or HE is nothing!! you decide...

Offline doingmypartagainstbirdflu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2015, 10:17 AM »
Any one been out on there recently

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2015, 06:16 PM »
I was there on Thursday.  Fished from about 8 until about 3ish.  I caught 1 small rainbow, a 17 inch brown, and a 20 inch brown.  Plus a bunch of small perch and chubs.  I caught over 60 fish.  I was good.  Don't recall thickness, but I stayed far away from the connection to the river.  That was pretty sketchy looking when I checked it out from land.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2015, 08:41 PM »
What part of the lake and what where you using

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2015, 10:50 PM »
I was using a vertigo jig tipped with meal worm.   How many parts of the lake are there?  It seems pretty small to me.  Walked out from the main road about 100 yards and down a gentle slope to the ice.  Then I walked straight out about 50 yards or less.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2015, 11:10 AM »
How deep where the trout

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2015, 11:13 AM »
Rainbow was right on the bottom with the perch and chubs in about 23 FOW or so.  The browns came in about half way down but were willing to move up and down to the lure if it was close to them.

Offline Texahoan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2015, 01:35 PM »
Fished the Shelley Pond for a couple hours this morning for the first time. Didn't do any good. Fished out towards the mouth. Missed a couple and didn't ice any. Several groups were just getting there as I was leaving. Hopefully they had better luck.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2015, 01:04 AM »
really? i fished there from about 10:00 to 3, about 100 feet back from the sunken logs; caught a couple of rainbows, a couple of chubs, and 8 eater-sized perch. saw one guy land a pretty decent sized carp, too.

8+ inches of ice under some snow and slush, nasty cold though. thermometer on my jacket said 4 degrees.

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Went out tonight with a Marcum camera and saw alot of carp and one good brown but couldnt get any bites. Its the only time I have ever fished there. Any tips on how to get those carp to bite, from the size of the ones we saw it would be a blast to chase them.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2016, 06:41 PM »
saw a guy land one while i was fishing out there. my best guess is lots of small hooks (at least 2 per line) and plenty of corn. chunks of nightcrawler may work as well. chumming is illegal in Idaho, but you might be able to simulate it by using a lot of lines with a lot of hooks.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2016, 07:27 PM »
I put 5 small gold salmon egg hooks on  one pole . 1 kernal of corn per hook . It is leagle as long as they are attached to a hook . Some of my best fish have been on this rig .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline Groundtrac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2016, 09:51 PM »
Fished here 4 hours this afternoon. 12 eater sized perch 3 small trout. Fished mid pond and then moved up by the mouth. Ice only 4 inches up there and a little current coming in. A little slow but it was close and what I had time for today, going to hit Ashton tomorrow.

Offline MNiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:42 PM »
Went to the Shelley pond today and caught 40 fish in about an hour.  It would be a great place to take young kids. All perch and chubs. I was about 15 yards on the ice in 22 FOW  right next to the landing.
Always remember, keep your stick on the ice- Red & Green

Offline Leader2525

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2016, 09:43 AM »
I'm going up to shelly pond today, Any tips before I leave?.

Offline Leader2525

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2016, 04:08 PM »
There 1 inches of frozen slush, but over all the depth was 8 inches. I went out in middle of the pond caught nothing for 2 hours, and moved closer in and right off the bat I caught a Chub. Fishing was slow All fish caught was on the bottom.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.