Author Topic: A couple more ? on the FL-28  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
A couple more ? on the FL-28
« on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:45 PM »
So Im thinking of upgrading to the FL-28 here is my main 2 concerns,
1-Screen is flat & I see no hard screen covers which to me means no protection like the FL-8-12-18 offered with the cone & mag shield...has anybody had issues with scratches on the screen? I love the mag shield protection.
2-is the Producer the same as the Tri-beam transducer?
I fish,
10' for Perch and Crappie with heavy weeds & sand bottoms
16-30' for Walleye
40-90' for Lakers

I did read the previous thread about FL28 but wanted feedback on the 2 specific questions.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: A couple more ? on the FL-28
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:00 PM »
So Im thinking of upgrading to the FL-28 here is my main 2 concerns,
1-Screen is flat & I see no hard screen covers which to me means no protection like the FL-8-12-18 offered with the cone & mag shield...has anybody had issues with scratches on the screen? I love the mag shield protection.
2-is the Producer the same as the Tri-beam transducer?
I fish,
10' for Perch and Crappie with heavy weeds & sand bottoms
16-30' for Walleye
40-90' for Lakers

I did read the previous thread about FL28 but wanted feedback on the 2 specific questions.

Never had an issue with flat screen. There is a neoprene cover to put on it when in transportation to protect it.

The pro view transducer sucks big time. It isn't close to a tribeam. You would want the tri beam for your different depths. If you get one with a proview send it in to vexilar to trade it for the tribeam.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:53 PM »
Neoprene cover works awesome. Tri Beam fine too.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2015, 06:06 AM »
no scratches on the screen.basically the proview is  a tribeam you switch the tribeam with a switch on the  and to switch the cone angle on the proview you turn the gain button which can change the cone angle fron 9 to almost 40 degrees.i have no problems with the proview but don't fish real shallow water say 10ft to 40 only.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2015, 07:29 AM »
basically the proview is  a tribeam you switch the tribeam with a switch on the  and to switch the cone angle on the proview you turn the gain button which can change the cone angle fron 9 to almost 40 degrees.i have no problems with the proview but don't fish real shallow water say 10ft to 40 only.

That is the claim by vexilar. From my own testing I found the proview to be far from what the claims are. I tested it next to a tribeam. With the gain on zero I found the cone on a proview to be wider then the 12* cone on a tribeam. Also, when turning the gain up to get a wider cone like a 20* I found that the proview would distort and show really blobby signals and more interference then the tri beam set on 20*. Trying to run a 20* cone and a unit in LP mode for shallow fishing with a proview can't be done worth a crap since you have to turn the gain up to get a wider cone with the proview.

I found that the adjustability settings for a vexilar unit with a tribeam to be more versatile, easier to accurately set, and have the clearest screen with the tribeam. The proview is a nice concept, however I found it to be a lot harder if it was even possible to duplicate the settings I would use with a tribeam.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2015, 07:41 AM »
yeah I think I don't have a problem with the proview because I don't use a wider cone angle and leave the gain at zero and low power mode.i like a narrow beam to know what is right underneath me to target and not concerned whats off in the distance.that being said my tribeam should be here this week and im going to sell one of my proviews.the tribeam is going on my fl20 and should be a sweet setup.i will leave the proview on my flx28.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2015, 05:52 PM »
yeah I think I don't have a problem with the proview because I don't use a wider cone angle and leave the gain at zero and low power mode.i like a narrow beam to know what is right underneath me to target and not concerned whats off in the distance.that being said my tribeam should be here this week and im going to sell one of my proviews.the tribeam is going on my fl20 and should be a sweet setup.i will leave the proview on my flx28.

I do a lot of panfishing in 10ft and under in really clear water. With a proview on low I'd be lucky to even show a 1ft area sub 10ft. A larger cone is nice. Put the chart pic in to give you guys an idea of how big an area you are looking at with the cone angles and depth. I typically like to see a bottom area of about 6 feet (3 foot around my lure being in the middle) if it's possible to do.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2015, 10:45 PM »
Very informative charts Agro.....thanks for posting !! Seeing them helps me understand what the Vexilar service tech told me when I called a few weeks ago. I called questioning the FLX-28/Proview while fishing 4 - 8 FOW. Was pretty much told more or less that the Proview wasn't the best choice for shallow water fishing. Suggested I try the Tribeam or 19* iceducer. Will try different one when fishing shallow this season. The deepest I've fished the Proview is 42 FOW & it worked great. I have no problems with the Proview in depths greater than 10 FOW. Thanks again & have a safe season !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.