Author Topic: Pop up ice shelters  (Read 1415 times)

Offline BGhostman

• IceShanty Rookie
Pop up ice shelters
« on: Nov 29, 2015, 07:24 PM »
I have a Shappell 2 person DX series cabin that is several years old.  Since I often fish with 3 people (sometimes 4), I am looking for something larger.  After an internet search of Eskimo the Fatfish 949i as closest to my needs since it weighs only 34 lb.  Are there any other models from Eskimo that I should consider?  Any other brands like Clam, Frabil, or Otter?

Are insulated worth the extra money?

Any advantages or disadvantages of a Pop up over what I currently have?

Also the reason I am thinking of a Pop up is last year I bought a Eskimo propane auger and my father made a custom sled with x-cross skis.  I am still not sure how I would transport the auger on my current shelter which also acts like a sled.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pop up ice shelters
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:12 PM »
I was in a similar situation this year.  Ended up selling my Clam 5600 suitcase style shelter and getting an Otter XTH Resort.  Still need to buy a sled though, but will appreciate the extra room.  The insulated fabric is definitely worth it though, no more condensation in the shelter.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:25 PM »
I have an eskimo 949i and really like it

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:04 PM »
I have a clam XL2000, nice size for groups but I'm think of picking up a otter this year to stop the rain if you know what I mean

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:33 PM »
I also have the Eskimo 949i and love it. no condensation and a small buddy heater keeps it warm enough I sit in a long sleeve shirt inside it keeps it that nice..
And yes the insulated versions are well worth the money...
Marvin

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2015, 06:52 AM »
I also have the Eskimo 949i and love it. no condensation and a small buddy heater keeps it warm enough I sit in a long sleeve shirt inside it keeps it that nice..
And yes the insulated versions are well worth the money...
Same here...I really enjoy mine.  :)
The worse day fishing is still better than the best day working!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2015, 07:53 AM »
I live in Massachusetts and its gets cold here but not enough to warrant an insulated pop up. I stay plenty warm with my heater buddy, and have no issues with condensation in the 949. plus customer service was really good when I had a minor flaw.

Offline Ice-D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2015, 03:43 PM »
I've got the 949.  Most of the time it's fine, but there are times I wish I'd went with the insulated version.  3  guys is pretty comfortable, 4 is crowded unless a couple are kids.

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2015, 04:20 PM »
Insulated only.  Regardless the brand. Find one that fits your need size wise and you won't regret it.  Don't know of anyone who has a insulated shack that in hindsight looks back and wish they bought the non-insulated.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2015, 04:20 PM »
Another vote for the Eskimo hubs, I have the 6120i, use it quite a bit throughout the year when I take out family, and its awesome. I honestly don't have a bad thing to say about it...

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2015, 05:35 PM »
If I had to buy one today and I wanted an insulated hub, I would probably go with an Otter.  I own an insulated hub (Clam base camp) and a non insulated (Eskimo Fat Fish 767).  If you have more than one person in the hub, go insulated.  If you fish alone, you can go uninsulated and not worry too much about condensation.  I like the uninsulated because it is really light (18 lbs) and folds up really easily and small.  The insulated is nice for heat retention and much less condensation but it is definitely heavier and much bigger.  An insulated shack is no fun to fold up when you have been using it all day in cold temps.  They are really stiff and hard to stuff in the bag.  If I had to choose only 1 hub to use, I would go non insulated but I fish with guys who have their own shacks and we just fish in the same area vs. the same house most times.  If you are fishing with someone else in your shack frequently, I would definitely go insulated and would go Otter. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2015, 06:24 AM »
I dumped my Clam Voyager two man flip this year and will be picking up the Otter Lodge hub tomorrow at the St. Paul Ice fishing show. To go along with it I will pick up the Otter Magnum sled with hitch & cover. I had an Otter Large two man flip about 6 years ago and then switched to the Clam and now will go Hub. I have a 3/4 Chevy and to get those flip overs loaded into the the back with the high tailgate by myself was a real PITA so that is why I am going Hub. Also, while using the Flips never did like looking behind me for any thing I needed into a black tub. I have fished out of several different Hubs and love the room and the ease of setting up. I went with the Otter from a quality standpoint. This is the first year of the Hubs but everything I have ever purchased in the past from Otter always seemed to be top shelf compared to their competitors. Thy are also made in MN and have great customer service. One last thing is I really like the way the fabric on the Otter is put together. I would suggest going to a store that has what you are looking for and walk inside them to and sit for a while and examine all the features and then choose.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2015, 09:08 AM »
i think this is the best so far for a hub i have seen for under 300$. all you would want is a sled to pull it with and i would make a smitty sled so it didn't cost hardly any thing. take a look and see what you think. weighs 38 pounds.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=320731.0
it is bigger than shappell wide house 6500 by 8 square feet fishable area.
i also own the shappel you have and their fx100. i prefer the fx100 for speed and convenience.
shappell claims their wh6500 to be a 4 man and is smaller than the gm 8x8.
if you want bigger than this, look at a six sided hub.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.