Author Topic: Gander 5x5 Hub  (Read 1651 times)

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gander 5x5 Hub
« on: Nov 28, 2015, 04:51 PM »
If anyone has picked one of these up I'd love to know your thoughts, and what type of carry bag it comes with.  I was going to go for the Quickfish 2 but the Gander tent is same size and on sale for $99.  The pros of the Eskimo are that it comes with great anchors, the cost of which at $14.99 a pair would offset the savings, but I already have a pair.  The cons are the crap carry bags they come with.   Decisions, decisions. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Gander 5x5 Hub
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2015, 05:01 PM »
If you take a close look at the Gander anchors they look really close to the eskimo anchors.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2015, 05:33 PM »
If you take a close look at the Gander anchors they look really close to the eskimo anchors.

Indeed.  I just ran out to get some dinner and stopped by the local Gander to see if they had them in stock yet and I wasn't disappointed.  Comes with a duffel style carry bag with tipup pockets on each side, and six anchors, which if they aren't  Eskimo they are dead ringers right down to the case they come in.  Done deal.  I almost thought maybe these shacks were made by Ardisam for Gander but I'm not sure they'd undersell themselves with a better bag than theirs come with.  I wish it wasn't 300D but that seems to be what everyone sells these days.  For $99 I think I'll be happy with it.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2015, 05:37 PM »
I think the Gander model doesn't have removable windows if I recall correctly ...as for the anchors they past my frozen milk carton test last year.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2015, 05:53 PM »
Indeed.  I just ran out to get some dinner and stopped by the local Gander to see if they had them in stock yet and I wasn't disappointed.  Comes with a duffel style carry bag with tipup pockets on each side, and six anchors, which if they aren't  Eskimo they are dead ringers right down to the case they come in.  Done deal.  I almost thought maybe these shacks were made by Ardisam for Gander but I'm not sure they'd undersell themselves with a better bag than theirs come with.  I wish it wasn't 300D but that seems to be what everyone sells these days.  For $99 I think I'll be happy with it.
When I asked a Gander Mountain employee on who makes the Gander Mountain hub he told me Clam. If you go with the 8x8 hub it's thermal and also comes with 2 chairs. Right now they are asking $199 for it.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2015, 06:24 PM »
Yea that's a great deal.  I wish I had the extra loot to grab one of those too for some ice camping, but I normally fish by myself and that's just too much shack for me to deal with day in and day out.  The thermal is sold out online, and they were pretty low on stock in the store.  I ended up ordering mine through the website, added a $1.99 item to get it over $100 then used code GMT5 to get an extra $10 off, all in after tax ended up being $97.  It will have to suck pretty bad for me to be disappointed at that price point, I'm just hoping there is some way to get replacement poles if needed.

I'd be surprised if Clam makes them their anchors are the junk style, unless they've stepped their game up recently. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2015, 04:37 AM »
I think Gander's hub shelters are made by Artisam because of the removable windows and the hubs look identical to Eskimo's. 

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2015, 07:02 AM »
I think Gander's hub shelters are made by Artisam because of the removable windows and the hubs look identical to Eskimo's.
Actually the windows are sewn in like the Clams. This makes me think Clam, but then the hubs do look a lot like the Eskimo's even the anchors.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:50 PM »
Actually the windows are sewn in like the Clams. This makes me think Clam, but then the hubs do look a lot like the Eskimo's even the anchors.

Not on this one.  Got it home and just set it up to have a look see, it has a window on each side and they are held in place by velcro.  It's not quite as robust as my old shack, but it seems solid.  The only real complaints I have, and they are nit picky at best, is that it comes with 6 anchors but no tie down straps.  Also the skirt is not grommeted for anchors, instead there is a tab on each corner for tying them down from the inside.  I'll just pilfer the tie downs from my old shack or go to the crafts store and get some strapping and connectors.  I compared the anchors to my Eskimos and they are dead ringers, they even come 6 in a pouch just like the Eskimos.  If I see a Quickfish 2 out there this year I might ask to pop my head in for a second just to compare the hubs and poles.  Also says it has a 1yr/100% guarantee, so for $100 bucks I think it's a good deal. 

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2015, 10:26 AM »
Not on this one.  Got it home and just set it up to have a look see, it has a window on each side and they are held in place by velcro.  It's not quite as robust as my old shack, but it seems solid.  The only real complaints I have, and they are nit picky at best, is that it comes with 6 anchors but no tie down straps.  Also the skirt is not grommeted for anchors, instead there is a tab on each corner for tying them down from the inside.  I'll just pilfer the tie downs from my old shack or go to the crafts store and get some strapping and connectors.  I compared the anchors to my Eskimos and they are dead ringers, they even come 6 in a pouch just like the Eskimos.  If I see a Quickfish 2 out there this year I might ask to pop my head in for a second just to compare the hubs and poles.  Also says it has a 1yr/100% guarantee, so for $100 bucks I think it's a good deal.
Now I'm starting to think that I've been misinformed. I asked online if the 8x8 insulated hub had removable windows and the answer I got was no they are not removable. Now I'm starting to think that Eskimo has their imprint on these shelters and not Clam.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2015, 10:48 AM »
The GM shack has removable windows. I work tonight, I'll see who the vendor is, but I don't recall it being Clam when I looked last season.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2015, 06:40 PM »
just went and picked up their 8x8 insulated for 180$ and comes with 30$ worth of 3 legged chairs and 45$ worth of eskimo ice anchors and a roll pouch.
they have 7 left left in coldwater mi
online only

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2015, 08:51 PM »
Showed my buddy this shack and we decided that one of us should buy one.. Well we both ended up getting one. Not gonna use it all the time but i can see this 8x8 coming in handy a lot. We are gonna try some camping on the ice with it this year too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.