Author Topic: Ice Cleats  (Read 7887 times)

Offline richf1971

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Cleats
« on: Nov 26, 2015, 10:33 PM »
Last season I got a pair of Yaktrax Pro Ice Cleats they broke on me at the end of the season but had decent traction anyone know of a better ice cleat that will last longer I have muck boots so need to fit on that type of boot

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
Re: Ice Cleats
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2015, 05:09 PM »

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2015, 05:16 PM »
I've tried them all. Katoola Micro spikes have been the best.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2015, 05:36 PM »
kold kutters ice racing screws size 3/8". can do 8 boots and have spares for fall outs. 20$ for 250 ct equals 8 cents per screw. i use 28-30 screws per boot. great for shoveling or walking or ice fishing. you can run on ice with these and they are low profile unlike the temporary slip on protection systems that force you to lift your boots up higher to walk or run.
it's funny to see peoples faces when you run on slick ice and they can't see any cramp-on's or spikes.
these are designed for high speed racing, so you know they are great on ice!

Katoola Micro spikes are uncomfortable and can't be worn in suit case shanties and hurt my heels on one of the best boots cabelas makes. plus the ice contact points are in the wrong places. the rubber can get cut and your done then. time to buy another set! same as loosing one to the ice/snow.

screws are always on so you are always protected. no thinking about putting them on or loosing one to snow or transport. much cheaper and you can place the screws where they fit your boots the best such as heels and toes.

i had those cheap yack tracks too. i went thru 3 pair before i knew they were junk. always break a part of the rubber then the coil would break soon after.

if you want the temporary slip on protection like Katoola Micro spikes, ebay has them for 10$ and work the same. i have them for my wife and bought a set for a friend. i like them better really. they come with the carry pouch and free unlike Katoola Micro spikes that wants more of your money for it.

Offline BASSRI

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2015, 06:12 AM »
I've been using Stabilicers for about 4 years now and love them...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2015, 06:22 AM »
I've tried them all. Katoola Micro spikes have been the best.

X2

Got the XL on my size 10 mucks...hands down the best ...your back will thank you for it
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2015, 06:39 AM »
I use 10 point hiking crampons.  Tremendous traction plus it gets my feet up off the ice a little
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2015, 06:42 AM »
I've been using the HT Super Sandals the past few years and like them a lot.  They look like the sole of a boot with cleats all round the bottom so there's no pressure points.  The one thing I did is I put removable lok-tight on the studs so they don't come loose. 

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2015, 08:11 AM »
I second the Kahtoola Microspikes. They are very durable. I have used them not only on the ice but hiking in the White Mountains in winter/ early spring. I have scrambled up many an icy rock with those things and never had them break. I've used them for slippery rocks while surfcasting, too. Had them for probably 5 years and have yet to encounter a problem. Yak Trax seem to break for a lot of people.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2015, 03:43 PM »
 Kahtoola for me ,,tried em all , they are pricey but worth every penny.....

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2015, 01:01 AM »
that's what i like about corkers feet  up off the ice a little and they stay warmer

Offline Fishing_Machine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2015, 05:53 AM »
I've used the hex head type sheet metal screws.
I put them in the lugs on my insulated hunting boots.  Takes about 15-20 in each boot.
You just don't want to walk through the house wearing them.  Plus they make a hell of a racket
when walking in a store or across the parking lot.  FM

Offline richf1971

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2015, 06:27 PM »
Thanks for all info everyone you guys been a big help

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2015, 12:55 AM »
   Kahtoola Micro Spikes!!! ..I've wore many different kinds of ice cleats, just thought I would share this for anyone in the market for a dang good nonslip cleat. You can run with these on the ice, pull sleds up a wet ice hill if you want and never slip on time. Definitely the best nonslip cleat on the market in my opinion only thing better would be a full blown crap-on
Why do things today that can be put off till tomorrow, or next week???? Let's go Ice-fishing!!!!

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2015, 12:56 AM »

Kahtoola Micro Spikes
Why do things today that can be put off till tomorrow, or next week???? Let's go Ice-fishing!!!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2015, 02:31 AM »
LOL full blown crap-on.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2015, 06:02 AM »
Just got micro spikes this season..now I just need ice

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2015, 06:37 AM »
Ive got Muck size 15's.....dont think these will fit.  And i cant bring myself to screw studs in the bottoms, which is what I had in my old boots.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2015, 06:49 AM »
If your running to grab a pole then you are scaring the fish away. Stay calm walk easy and enjoy.
<===Lefty===

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2015, 08:05 AM »
Kahtoola micro spikes. A little pricey but worth every penny.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2015, 08:18 AM »
Ive got Muck size 15's.....dont think these will fit.  And i cant bring myself to screw studs in the bottoms, which is what I had in my old boots.
The XL micro spikes easily fit over my size 14 mucks and fit fine over my kamik ice crushers which I use for ice fishing. They are quite a bit bigger than my mucks. I love the micro spikes, only complaint is that they don't fit the lug tread of my boots very well and I had to shave down the tread in a few spots to make it more comfortable. I leave mine on the boots all winter since there is no way I can drive in them. 5 seasons and hoping for at least a couple more.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2015, 08:30 AM »
I concur😃😃

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2015, 08:58 AM »
my buddy used to work for the United States Postal Service. he is retired now but they use Stabilicers. when they would throw out pairs because of lost screws, he would bring them home and give them to me. I replaced the missing screws and was good to go. in my opinion, they are the best for icy conditions. what a waste of our tax dollars but I guess that gave me an indirect refund. LOL !!!

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:16 AM »
Last season I got a pair of Yaktrax Pro Ice Cleats they broke on me at the end of the season but had decent traction anyone know of a better ice cleat that will last longer I have muck boots so need to fit on that type of boot
really? i have a pr that i have been using for at least 4 years and just now noticing a little fatigue or drying out of the rubber. not the pro model tho.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:30 AM »
Yak Trax are junk... Durability is nearly ZERO.  I went thru 2 pair with hardly any usage.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:35 AM »
Another vote for Kahtoola Micro's. I won them at an ice fishing tourney out in CO. Now that I have used them, I can say that they are well worth the money! Especially in a state where a lot of snow isn't expected.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:37 AM »
My pick s are:
Korkers
Stabilicers

Both are great but I favor Korkers.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:37 AM »
Kahtoolas. I walked outdoors 5-10 miles every winter day for the last 10 years, the Yaktrax are junk for the many reasons given, but my worst experience was ice fishing with them on and one of them came loose, a common thing in deep snow with those, and I didnt notice it until I hit bare ice with that boot, and suddenly it was ice olympics spin moves and a wrenched back. The Kahtoola are the best, worth EVERY penny, they dont break or come off my size 13s. The red ones look a little goofy but better that than a week in bed. Make sure you untwist the chains when you put them on your boots, they are a bit of a chinese puzzle.
Stabilicers are ok if you have no snow, but add a couple feet of snow and you will be all over the place.

Offline benelli7887

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:42 AM »
Micro Spikes have been working well for me. I also have a set of Yak Trax in my bag incase some one forgets theres

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2015, 09:44 AM »
LOL full blown crap-on.
. Lol I hate typing on my phone" Crampon"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.