Author Topic: hand held gps  (Read 819 times)

Offline taillite

• IceShanty Rookie
hand held gps
« on: Nov 26, 2015, 09:51 PM »
I would like to purchase a handheld gps , torn between maggelan explorist 610 or garmin 64s ? any feed back would be appreciated.
thank you in advance

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: hand held gps
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2015, 10:16 PM »
I don't have any experience with Magellan products but I do own a garmin 60csx and a garmin rhino 650. I believe my 60csx is an older version of the 64. I would not trade my 60csx for anything. It's easy to use has great coverage in the bush and excellent battery life with two aa batteries. I like the pushbutton face on the 60 much better than the touchscreen on the rhino. Seems the touchscreen is always changing settings when in your pocket if you don't lock the screen. Have never had an issue with either and garmin has many uploadable features available.
Splaker

Offline Sullivan2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2015, 11:32 PM »
I have a lot of experience with the garmins 64s at work and for hunting and fishing. I have not used the Magellan but I would highly recommend the Garmins. I generally steer clear of touch screens for outside use since rain and snow messes the touch sensors up and you need to remove your gloves to get the touch screen to work.  The 64s  are very rugged, easy to use and have easy to use computer programs. I've been using them almost 10 years now and have had zero issues even using them in the crappiest weather conditions. Hope this helps.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2015, 07:51 AM »
I have used both Garmin and Magellan, Garmin is much more user friendly and intuitive... Magellan has come a long way, there old units were terrible! For units that go in the car, I like the Magellan units a little better than other makes, but in the woods and water GARMIN!

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2015, 08:40 AM »
I also have both Garmin and Magellan handhelds. If I were to choose  one over the other, it would be a tossup.
I just use the basic units and just ordered a new Garmin e-trex 10, only reason being the newer units track more satellites than my older one and are supposed to get a quicker fix.
For $69.99 (Cabelas) I figured I better grab one!

Offline gyman98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2015, 03:06 PM »
I own a Magellan but wish it was a garmin! 

Offline taillite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:07 PM »
thank you for the replies , settled for garmin 64st looks like it should work fine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.