Author Topic: Nils Frustration  (Read 1775 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nils Frustration
« on: Nov 25, 2015, 03:36 PM »
Just sent out my 8 inch Nils to be re sharpened. Gonna be 58$ after its all said and done with shipping both ways. A new head cost 95$ most places but I found a local shop that sells them new for 58, he worked out a deal with NILS. My main issue is the convenience factor sending it out boxing it up waiting for it to come back. The whole process is a hassle. Good news is the same shop is going to do a blade exchange program (not sure when) with nils which will be cheaper than getting a new head but faster than sending it out etc...... Its a good auger but I am strongly considering selling it and getting a finbore. The blades are alot easier to get ahold of and can order them from most places or find them at local shops etc......
Salmonemia

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Nils Frustration
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2015, 03:57 PM »
Would you give out contact info on local shop?  Is pm the route?

Offline MFallon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2015, 05:50 PM »
Please PM me the info for that shop as well if you don't mind! I live nearby as well. Agreed that new heads are pretty expensive.

-Mike

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2015, 06:46 PM »
Why don't you share the information with everyone?  Is it top secret?

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2015, 06:56 PM »
Why don't you share the information with everyone?  Is it top secret?
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2015, 07:17 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Might get local shop burn.  I'm sure they are dying for that.

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2015, 12:11 AM »
Id sell my 8 inch nils with the tanaka for 300. Hate it

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:06 AM »
I just bought one because I got a new House from NFS.  They NH guys who make the aluminum ice houses.  I didn't want to to bring my Jiffy inside to drill holes, it is attached to my wheeler.   I have had a bunch of friends with the Nils have the same issue of blades getting damaged.  I will only be using it in the house so it shouldn't get damaged hopefully.  That is why if there is a local shop that sharpens them, I'm sure he would get a bunch of business from people who need them done.

Offline perch_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:42 AM »
i have an eskimo silver tip hand auger and it is great. a lot cheaper than a nils and it drills fast
I hate my username. I made it when I was 14 and I dont know how to change it.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2015, 09:14 AM »
As nice and as smooth as a nils cuts this is why I will never buy one. They are just too much money if they need maintenance.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Don't give up on the Tanaka. Lots of us have done away the Nils and added Mora augers or other brands. Cheap to do and a better setup.

Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2015, 01:33 PM »

I would like the Tanaka
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2015, 09:43 AM »
Thankful I havent run into the blade damage issue with my nils and I abuse it.  There isnt another blade/cutting head on the market I'd rather use....sure as heck don't want something like a mora that has 2 cheap screws holding the cheap blades in....no thanks!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2015, 11:05 AM »
sure as heck don't want something like a mora that has 2 cheap screws holding the cheap blades in....no thanks!

There are lots of things you can pick on with a Mora, but the Screws? In 45+ years of using hand augers with 2 screws (including Moras), I have had 1 screw "fall" out and that was more user error... Sorry, but just had to say...

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2015, 01:24 PM »
This is where I sharpen my blades Frank turns them around real fast. A little bit of a hassle with the mailings. I know of quite a few IS members use him. I know that AA has. Frank probably has ice to test them now. This is from an earlier post.

Welcome Newbie you have received some great info from the members. I see some comments about the Nil's Auger on this post and others. I bought one last year and while I was out I hit bottom of course on the first hole. It wouldn't cut another hole to save my life. I checked around to get it sharpened and had no luck finding someone that I trusted. Most of them would say they would give it a try but wouldn't guarantee that it would work. I found this guy through a Minnesota site (attached PM's) who did a great job and I got it back in a week. So if anyone needs to have their's sharpened I would highly recommend him.  Hope this helps someone.

Denny yes I'm still sharpening Nils blades.
$20 to sharpen plus the cost for return shipping so add whatever it costs you to
ship include that much more for return shipping.
Send Blade to
Frank DeLuca
5382 Jentoft Rd
Saginaw, MN 55779

Denny, cash, checks or money orders are fine.
If your in Canada then cash only.
Your blade will be sharpened, reshaped if necessary, test drilled and sent out
the same day I get it.

Frank

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2015, 03:33 PM »
This is where I sharpen my blades Frank turns them around real fast. A little bit of a hassle with the mailings. I know of quite a few IS members use him. I know that AA has. Frank probably has ice to test them now. This is from an earlier post.

Welcome Newbie you have received some great info from the members. I see some comments about the Nil's Auger on this post and others. I bought one last year and while I was out I hit bottom of course on the first hole. It wouldn't cut another hole to save my life. I checked around to get it sharpened and had no luck finding someone that I trusted. Most of them would say they would give it a try but wouldn't guarantee that it would work. I found this guy through a Minnesota site (attached PM's) who did a great job and I got it back in a week. So if anyone needs to have their's sharpened I would highly recommend him.  Hope this helps someone.

Denny yes I'm still sharpening Nils blades.
$20 to sharpen plus the cost for return shipping so add whatever it costs you to
ship include that much more for return shipping.
Send Blade to
Frank DeLuca
5382 Jentoft Rd
Saginaw, MN 55779

Denny, cash, checks or money orders are fine.
If your in Canada then cash only.
Your blade will be sharpened, reshaped if necessary, test drilled and sent out
the same day I get it.

Frank
Thanks Denny Mine is with Frank as we speak. I am eager to try it out. Probably wont be my only auger as I am getting an ION but I still want to keep a back up hand auger around for early ice anyway.
Salmonemia

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2015, 04:05 PM »
 ::) /ab Ion wont do any better after you crash it into the bottom??   
Dick

Offline IcemanEsq

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2015, 09:52 AM »
If you've got more than one cutting head, it really shouldn't be an issue unless you abuse the hell out of the thing.  Unless you're crashing it into the bottom or slamming it around, you should be getting multiple seasons worth of cutting out of each head.  I wouldn't trade mine for anything, especially when I'm packing light or dragging behind me into remote areas.
Spell check -- give it a try.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2015, 10:00 AM »
I was drilling 10 holes per customer, 24 a day, Saturday and Sunday for 3 months with mine.  Even drilled sandy ice no issues.  Put thousands of addtional holes on a single cutting head after using it commercially and it still rocks.  Like anything else that deals with people the user experience clearly varies. 

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2015, 02:43 PM »
I was drilling 10 holes per customer, 24 a day, Saturday and Sunday for 3 months with mine.  Even drilled sandy ice no issues.  Put thousands of addtional holes on a single cutting head after using it commercially and it still rocks.  Like anything else that deals with people the user experience clearly varies.
What size is your auger? What blade cover do you use? After you drill holes do you cover blade or drill it into ice until you need to use it again?
Salmonemia

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2015, 03:37 PM »
8" with powerpoint.  Depends on what I am doing in regards to putting the cap on (I have the standard cap not the snap cap)  When I was guiding I'd drill into the ice and leave it (no exposed blades for customers to trip on)  Ive even had it fall over from that no issues.  The majority of the time I'll lay it on the ice no cover when fishing alone.  I have 2 spare heads with powerpoints collecting dust. 

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2015, 06:40 PM »
Interesting thanks. I didn't know that you could get a point for the hand auger. Cool
Salmonemia

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2015, 06:57 PM »
Interesting thanks. I didn't know that you could get a point for the hand auger. Cool

Oh yes, before buying the unit I have now with he Tanaka, I had a 8" nils hand auger that I bought from a shanty member that had the powerpoint on it and that served me very nicely until I started fishing in outside of CT and Mass where the ice is much thicker usually! 

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2015, 07:03 PM »
I swear by both my nils and tanaka power head. Light fast and they sip the fuel
Henry

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.