Author Topic: What's Your Base Layer?  (Read 6672 times)

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
What's Your Base Layer?
« on: Nov 25, 2015, 10:27 AM »
What are you guys using for a base layer these days? I've run everything from long johns to fleece long underwear to now Under Armour Base 4.0. I normally wear gore-tex non-insulated bibs and now use the layer of 4.0 and then a fleece pant, that's it. I've worn just the 4.0 under my Hardwater bibs and have been fine too.

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What's Your Base Layer?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2015, 10:42 AM »
Cabela's E.C.W.C.S. Polar Weight with Polartec Base Layers

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2015, 10:47 AM »
Military surplus cold weather top and bottom. Nice n thick, warm, and only $25.00 each. That way I got more money for lures cuz lord knows I need more. Yeah right lol.
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2015, 11:11 AM »
Silk long John's.  They don't last long but are comforta.

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2015, 11:11 AM »
Silk long John's.  They don't last long but are comforta.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2015, 01:57 PM »
Under Armour Base 4.0 - Warmest base layer I've ever worn - More money, but well worth it !!

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:02 PM »
Hot Chilly's La Montana top and bottom.  Very warm, worth checking out.

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:33 PM »
Cabelas ecwcs polar weight crew/bottoms

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:01 AM »
I use to get the Duo-fold original polar or extreme long johns (the wool and cotton version) until they stopped making them in tall sizes.  Now I get them from L.L.Bean or use the Under Armor 2.0. 

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2015, 07:55 PM »
I wear Patagonia silk weight Capilene for my base layer. The mid layer is Nike microfleece pants and a Polartech 200 pullover up top. I keep another Polartech fleece jacket with me for extreme cold. The outer layer is uninsulated Gore-tex bibs and parka. There are other base layers with similar fabric that are just as warm but I found the Patagonia fits better, especially the bottoms. Years of dogsled racing and working outdoors in the ski industry has made me somewhat of an expert on winter outerwear. The fabric and coatings are more important than the brand name.

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2015, 05:01 AM »
Base layer - anything non-compression. I use to wear underarmour for years skiing.  I just HATE the compression feel.
mid layer - really like striker shak pant and shak shirt http://www.strikerstore.com/product-p/615000.htm
Alva Lake in Harshaw, WI (15 minutes to Rhinelander, Tomahawk and Minocqua)

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2015, 10:28 AM »
When UA came out with the compression fit Cold Gear, I totally fell into the marketing of it. It's not meant for ice fishing. Good stuff if you keep moving at a high pace, but I literally felt cold air wicking right through it if I stood still.

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2015, 12:00 PM »
Just got Cabelas MTP Base Layer polar weight top and bottom. They were very warm for deer hunting so I'm assuming they'll work great!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2015, 12:17 PM »
Military surplus cold weather top and bottom. Nice n thick, warm, and only $25.00 each. That way I got more money for lures cuz lord knows I need more. Yeah right lol.
Is this the baselayer you are reffering too?
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=29760
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=29759

Offline IceGunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Silk.   Light, warm comfortable. 
In God We Trust

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2015, 07:23 PM »
Is this the baselayer you are reffering too?
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=29760
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=29759
\You can get better stuff than that for about the same price. Polypro was the first high performance base layer but other materials work as well and are more comfortable. Polypro will keep you wram and wick moisture but it has a scratchy feel. There are treated polyester yarns that are just as warm and wick as well and have a softer feel. There is also merino wool that won't make you itch. I haven't used it so I can't speak from experience. I would expect polyester to be better at wicking moisture. Another benefit of polyester is it does nor absorb body odors. Polypro can develop a smell that won't quite wash out.

Offline DSCOFF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2015, 09:12 AM »
Icebreaker merino wool in a 260 weight.  There's nothing better imho.  It's 100% merino wool unlike a lot of other brands out there.  They like to market the crap out of merino so I always check the label, you'd be surprised as sometimes a 7% content constitutes a "merino wool" garment. 

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2015, 06:05 PM »
You are 100% right about checking the label. I saw some merino wool socks last week. The label revealed the truth. 78% acrylic, 16% some other synthetic and 6% wool. They should have been called acrylic blend socks. I pity the fools who buy them.

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2016, 01:12 PM »
While ice fishing with my ice suit, I find I don't have to wear that great of a baselayer.  Lots of times I wear the old Under Armour cold gear stuff circa 2008 and it works fine. 

I kayak fish Lake Michigan throughout the winter for brown trout and steelhead and De Pere at night for walleyes in the spring when it gets below freezing.  When you spend 8-12 hours in your kayak wearing a dry suit, I learned that I needed to upgrade my base layers.  The cabelas ECWCS Polartec tops and bottoms were a HUGE improvement.  So far, I've found wearing those under some synthetic cold weather running pants, a polartec fleece top and north face heatseeker liner from a winter coat works top notch.  I can fit those under my kokatat gore tex dry suit and be warm.  I'm still working on keeping my feet warm during that time.  Something about having your feet slightly elevated in my Hobie kayak gets them pretty cold after about 4-6 hours in freezing temps.  I didn't have that problem when I was in a paddle kayak.  I've been wearing 55-68% merino wool socks that work great ice fishing, but just not quite keeping my feet warm.  If anybody has any suggestions, I'm all ears. 

Offline yotyfox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:54 PM »
First Lite merino wool. If it's real cold, i'll wear the striker performance gear over top of the wool.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2016, 08:01 AM »
I've got a ton of old silk weights from the army that I wear
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:19 PM »
I just priced the Merino Wool top and it $100 just for the top. Little over my head, but my Under Armor is starting to make me itch so I wear a T shirt under it which causes me to sweat when setting up. Need to figure something out new

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2016, 09:45 AM »
I've been using Cabela's E.C.W.C.S. Polartec heavy weight base for a few years now - 0 complaints.

Catchin' Fish

Offline TDoodle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2016, 04:50 PM »
Has anyone used Columbia Omni-Heat base layer for ice fishing?
I'm looking for another set of base layer. Currently use UA 4.0

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2016, 11:29 AM »
I wear the Sitka Core heavyweight bottoms and midweight zip top. I know it's expensive, but I just watched ebay and other places and if you watch it can be had for pretty reasonable prices. I would never pay full boat for it, but it's the best stuff I've ever worn. I ordered them a size bigger, because I hate that compression fit!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.