The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: icegator  (Read 502 times)

Offline icefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
icegator
« on: Nov 25, 2015, 05:37 AM »
Anyone own on of these icegators? Do you like how well does it cut what about the batteries last in cold weather. thanks icefisher

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: icegator
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2015, 08:30 PM »
i've seen one in action! i would own one IF i needed a dedicated auger/power head.
it does have an insulated battery box and drills over 80 holes in 3 feet of ice per charge and 3 year warranty and one year on battery.

check greg here on his site. he makes and owns the company. he is a site sponsor and offered vet discounts.
http://www.icegator.com/

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2015, 08:35 PM »
I have one and shelved it after getting a Milwaukee m18 fuel hammer drill.  It is half the cost of an ice gator will drill more holes and weighs next to nothing.  Add in the fact you can use the drill all year and it is a no brainer.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2015, 09:28 AM »
I have had an icegator for 5 years - no problems and still going.  There is absolutely nothing on the market that will beat it.  There are other setups that are good and have their niche - so does icegator.  Not for everyone but it is an awesome, ice-drilling machine with a good auger attached.  I use an 8" Nils and it is hands down, the best setup for drilling a lot of ice.  Batteries last because they are insulated.  Kept inside and charged, brought out on the ice and used (warms the battery) and it stays warm because of the insulation.  I messed up once last season by leaving the battery pack in the truck all night,  next day - not so great.  Operator error, it happens.  I really doubt a cordless drill setup will outperform the gator.  I'd have to witness it.  @)

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2015, 09:40 AM »
Cordless drills are amazing tools compared to what they were 15 years ago. However, they are not designed to drill 8 inch holes through 2+ feet of ice. To drill holes that size with any speed would put a lot of torque against the drill and I would expect the durability to be pretty low. The icegator, and ion are intended to drill holes that size and should outlast any cordless drill used for that purpose.

Offline RealBigReel

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2015, 11:11 AM »
Hopefully fishing surveyor will chime in here, you'd be shocked how easy a drill will turn an 8" Nils.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2015, 11:23 AM »
I have a Milwalkie setup and I like it.  I just don't see it competing with the gator when the ice gets thick - I like BIG holes too.  :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.