Author Topic: smelt fishing  (Read 598 times)

Offline dustinfromnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
smelt fishing
« on: Nov 24, 2015, 04:47 PM »
anyone been fishing off the piers in Hampton or rye this year? I fished sunday night on the seabrook side of the harbor, there were clouds of smelt...all were only about 3 inches and too small to hook. went up to rye, still lots of small ones but saw a few bigger ones cruising under the lights... grand total of one smelt which was probably the smallest saltwater smelt ive ever caught at 4 inches, and about 20 small harbor Pollack. seems like I might've been a bit early for the bigger ones, although i'll be sure to bring some smaller hooks next time.... the size 8 hooks were just too big for those little guys. hopefully larger ones move in over the next week or two, although it's great to see so many small ones, especially after there being virtually no smelt at all the past few years....

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: smelt fishing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2015, 05:39 PM »
That is good news about the smelt.
Hope plenty of them make it up to the bay and rivers this year.
Thanks much for the report.

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2015, 07:01 PM »
Dustin, what do you do with them ? bait...or eat them ? and do you normaly catch a bunch ?

I am haunted by waters...

Offline dustinfromnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2015, 03:35 PM »
I eat em, although I've froze them before for bait and used em for cusk and lake trout.... and yes, I usually catch a lot more than one... typicially at least 8 or 10 on a slow night, and upwards of a couple dozen on better nights. although the past few years have been anything but typical in regards to smelt fishing the coast...

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2015, 10:55 AM »
Not sure if you know this or not Dustin but the little smelt your seeing may be Capelin Smelt. A smaller cousin to the bigger rainbow Smelt that your after.

Offline dustinfromnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2015, 06:06 PM »
Thanks James, I had no idea but googled em so I could read up on em. I went again today and got 42 of em, once again no rainbow smelt still... Also pulled up a decent sized harbor pollack. Fish and game stopped by to check licenses, said that he hasn't heard of anybody catching any yet this year...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.