New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: JAWJACKER  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Slamthatclam

• IceShanty Rookie
JAWJACKER
« on: Nov 23, 2015, 11:00 PM »
So JAWJACKER.. Thinking about buying one are they worth the buy? Let's hear it gents.

Offline CavScout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: JAWJACKER
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2015, 11:44 PM »
Don't buy one.....

...better make it two. I know that $40 is alot to swing on something new amd unproven...at least it was for me. But after buying one, a second one was added a week later and now I don't go on the ice without them. I have used them to deadly effect on trout and perch. And i see no reason why they wouldn't work on crappies, gills and walleyes either.
US Army Cavalry Scout 2007-Present 

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2015, 06:30 AM »
I just bought one online Sunday. Can't wait to put a hurtin on the trout.
Pete

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2015, 09:56 PM »
If you are looking for a rod slammer/tipup/etc.
JawJacker is a great way to go.
I personally have 3 or 4 maybe 5, now, lol. They are scattered all over my fishing supplies.
They are great rod setting tipups.   :thumbsup:

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • thats why they call it fishin,not catchin!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Did some research on these,looks to me if you know how to bend a piece of wire,you can make your own very cheap,
the plus side of this is the fight of the fish on a rod and reel compared to hand lining
I,myself would much rather fight a fish on a rod and reel,
I am definatly adding these to my arsenal,

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2015, 08:51 AM »
u-tub has some great video on a few home made hook setting rigs,For about 1/3 the cost of the others. I too have a few jawjackers that work very well

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:01 AM »
Purchased 2 last year and loved them.   Highly recommend them. 

Offline Bits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2015, 09:40 AM »
Bought 2 of them & used them last year--they work great! $40 is a bit steep, but they are very well made & should last a long time--I may get a couple more-- :)

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2015, 11:09 AM »
Worth every penny I've got three and don't leave with out em. Easy to transport with the rest of your gear and they are built pretty solid as far as plastic goes.
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline dstaples002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2015, 11:14 AM »
Love em. Well worth the money

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2015, 11:48 AM »
Can't say on the JJ's as I have only used Automatic Fisherman units, but I have questioned the longevity of the JJ units with the abuse and conditions we face in the winter time (being fully frozen in the ice, etc.). Auto's are bulletproof, rock-solid units that perform without flaw and can take any abuse thrown at them. Plus the rods/reels they come with are top notch.  @)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline JohnMcN1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2015, 11:53 AM »
I love my jawjacker!  Yes they're a little steep in price, but I have had nothing but success with mine. 

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2015, 11:04 AM »
I Bought 8 Jaw Jackers last year and I love them . You can use them for any type of fishing, whether its pike or perch. They are super sensitive and i even got a smelt on one..no lie :o I do have two pieces of advice for you. Buy some good hole covers , because you will need them on the cold days. Also do not use the monifilment loop that comes in the package , i made my own version of this and it works awesome. I found that Ht makes a perfect rod for these jaw jackers and its the blue big eye rods . The big guide eyes on the rod will prevent freeze up on the guides. i will try and find a link to show you all.

Good Luck
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2015, 12:35 AM »
where can I get them locally?

Offline dstaples002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2015, 10:00 AM »
I may be wrong but when I bought mine, I looked all over and could not find anything locally and ended up going to Bass Pro in Utica about an hour away. Maybe Fish307 sells them in stock. If not you will have to order it. Most places are still doing free shipping too.

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2015, 10:31 AM »
Bass pro in utica has the automatic fisherman not the jaw jacker.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2015, 10:59 AM »
Might pick one of these up your try out. Everybody seems to love them
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2015, 01:27 PM »
I was looking into the jawjacker last year and one of the reviews or articles I read said that the jacker was ripping through the mouth of crappies even on the lighter setting.  I don't have first hand experience, but it is something worth considering.

Offline run320083

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2015, 09:26 AM »
i caught quite a few crappie using the jaw jacker last year. Just need to make sure you are using light of enough rod and don't have the drag turned way up.

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2015, 05:29 PM »
A good JJ should have adjustable hooksets on their cable for types of fish targeted and depth of water,and they do.

FN

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2015, 06:16 PM »
where can I get them locally?

Nowhere that I could find.  I ended up ordering from their website and paying over $12 shipping.  :(
I bet they'd sell a WHOLE BUNCH MORE of their product if it was distributed better (but then again, I don't know jack about business...).

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Jaw Jacker question...
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2015, 11:38 PM »
Hey!
 There was a thread about this product a short while back. However, it did not address this question...
How is it for pike? Just thinking over everything I've been told about pike, how they sometimes grab a bait, swim with it, then stop, turn it and swallow it, won't the Jaw Jacker just rip the bait out of the pike's mouth before he has a hook in his mouth? Maybe best to have multiple hooks or Quick Strike Rig in the bait, so where ever he bites, the Jaw Jacker hooks him?
Those of you who use Jaw Jackers, what's your advice?
Thanks so much!
HWN

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2015, 11:48 PM »
FISH307 has them now. Saw them there yesterday! Only has three or four on the shelf.

Offline CavScout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jaw Jacker question...
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2015, 12:41 AM »
When I set my JJs for pike I use at min. a double treble quick strike rig.  If im using a 6in sucket or bigger chunk of cut bait then I bump it up to three.  Always rig it so the bait hangs horizontal in the water. Always figured the more hooks the better since they dont have a chance to run and reposition the bait. I have only used them with dead bait since that is all that is legal up in the mountains here in Colorado.  My hook up percentage is about the same as it is on a traditional tip up using them this way.
US Army Cavalry Scout 2007-Present 

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline jobek75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2015, 05:03 AM »
Walked into Bass Pro in Auburn on Dec 22, the rack with JawJackers which I had been eyeing for several weeks were marked down from $39.99 to $16.88. Couldn't believe it, bought 6. Then they still had about ten left.

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Wow, that is a great price...I thought I did OK getting them thru cabelas at $29 and free shipping, now I feel like I got ripped off...as usual

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2015, 07:10 AM »
I can't answer the question because im still waiting for ice to experiment with my first pair of jj's!

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2015, 08:32 PM »
I currently use automatic fisherman i switched up last year from jj. The autos will out live the jj imo. The jj i had worked but after use could see where the blue plastic was starting to turn white so not long and the jj would have broke.  The autos rods are great love the reels especially how easy the crank handle folds very smooth. I know richie's bait n tackle in Chaumont has auto bases for sale and have seen them at bass pro
Just enjoying life

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:48 AM »
now let me get this all straight  I can legally have  2 jawjackers  5  tip ups 3 hand lines a four wheeler if I wear a helmet  and I need the trailer inspected  ......... how many tip downs  can I have?

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #29 on: Dec 31, 2015, 08:35 AM »
7 lines total any combination     
Just enjoying life

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.