Author Topic: Kokanee ?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
Kokanee ?
« on: Nov 23, 2015, 09:33 PM »
Anyone know of any kokanee fishing in and around the valley? Thanks
BOWHUNTER68

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kokanee ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2015, 11:18 AM »
It is my understanding that a Kokanee is nothing more than a landlocked sockeye (red) salmon.  So I would assume all the lakes that are connected to creeks that have a run of reds in them would have Kokanee.  That would probably mean Wasilla Lake, Cottonwood Lake (Connected to Cottonwood Creek) and Big Lake (Connected to Fish Creek).  Now, as far as how long they live after they reach the lake I am unsure.  I would think they would die after they spawn in the lakes just like all the other salmon, but I am not sure.  Maybe the smolt stay in the lake long enough to get big so you can catch them before they go out to the ocean.  I do not know enough about their life cycle to say for sure.  I have caught landlocked salmon in lots of lakes in the valley, but usually they are stocked.  And I think they are landlocked kings or coho.  I don't think these would be considered Kokanee.  I was ice fishing in Knik Lake once and a friend of mine caught a fairly nice sized landlocked salmon that was all spawned out.  It looked like a spawned out red to me.  I'm not really sure how it got in there.  I don't know if Knik Lake is connected to Fish Creek somehow.  But if it is, perhaps there are Kokanee in there. 

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2015, 04:46 PM »
Check out kokaneefishingforum.co m lost of in

fo there. Might be of some belp

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2015, 04:59 PM »
Good info thanks guys !!
BOWHUNTER68

Offline STUBBS

• IceShanty Rookie
  • keep lines tight
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2015, 08:44 PM »
Once you get past the ad it is a good demonstration...

one more, I enjoy, Grilled Kokanee Salmon
Recipe by Gary Pack. 

Ingredients

4 pounds salmon ( kokanee, whole )
8 ounces butter
4 tablespoons lemon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic ( minced, optional )

Directions

Warm up the grill to medium heat. Butterfly the kokanee by slicing down the backbone from the inside and laying the fish skin-side down. Place the fish on tin foil with the skin down. Cut butter into slices and place evenly on the fish. Sprinkle lemon pepper generously over the butter. Add garlic if desired. Place on grill. Grill 5 to 7 minutes, being careful to not overcook. Use spatula to peel the meat from the skin. Remove the bones and serve with your favorite vegetables an rice!

Servings 6
Doc Stubbs
"its not brain surgery...."

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2015, 10:44 PM »
👍👍👍👍
BOWHUNTER68

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com