The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: I'm new to Michigan and ice fishing  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Goodrichguy

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm new to Michigan and ice fishing
« on: Nov 22, 2015, 08:03 PM »
Looking for a person to show me the ins and outs of ice fishing. I would like to be able to take my kids and be safe doing it. I just moved from Cincinnati to Goodrich Michigan and have a lot of good stuff to learn.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: I'm new to Michigan and ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2015, 08:09 PM »
welcome!
we have tons of info for you. it will be overwhelming for a while.

here's what i posted not long ago for some one just like you.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=319377.msg3360880#msg3360880

as said, all ice is not to be trusted or is unsafe. that being said, think about floatation ice suits at least for the adult.
http://www.strikerstore.com/default.asp
not sure how old the other two are, but at least think about the suits for them too. teach them how to get out of a break thru. show them you tube videos and have the emergency spikes for every one. main thing is to not panic even tho it hasn't happened yet. you could practice near shore.
new ice is slippery and so slip protection will be needed to stay safer too on your boots. i use ice racing screws on 4 pairs of boots. then i have them all of the time, not just on lakes. ice and hard packed snow is every where in winter. otherwise buy some thing temp like kahtoolas.
http://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

you didn't say how heavy the load will be either, but you can put holes on the out side of a circle or square and sit in the inside of that with you backs to each other. another way is drill two holes on one side so two of you are are facing the same side and then make two more on the other side of the hub and two face opposite directions. you could have the kids on the inner side (center) with an adult at his/her side and do the same with the other end.

in other words, you can spread the weight out better than making a small square in the center and fishing the outsides of that.

an 8 inch hole will be dangerous for kids! they can break a leg in it or some one else s walking fast. consider swapping it for a 6" or 7 at the biggest.

bring those anti fatigue standing mats sold at harbor freight to keep every ones feet on so they don't get cold feet as fast.

when walking to your spot or back to shore, have the most experienced person in the lead and carry a rope for emergency and have the other walk your steps for the most part. the adults that have the float suits on can help get the kids out, but if the kids have one on too, they will be floating much higher on the water and will easier to get out. that's another reason for the adults to wear one. so they can get out easier on their own. have the other adult in the rear. have good flashlights for getting off in the dark. maybe use two sleds to spread the weight out even more. buy the same exact ones so they fit inside each other for transport.

4" is enough to have fun with your family. many individuals go with 3" and some go on 2", but they stay in shallow water so if it breaks, they can keep standing on the bottom.
any one i know goes when its 3" but keep it spread out. use a sled so the weight isn't on your shoulders and have a rope in the sled that you know how to throw. they make a throw bag rope that would be a great choice. use longer ropes on your sled, it helps pull easier by not lifting with every step and can aid in a break thru. if you don't have slip protection on your boots and have to aid in pulling some one out, you'll slip towards them.
you have to think ahead and think worse case scenario, because it might just happen one time. i fell in when over 30 people were fishing all around me on a fast moving river. my floating ice suit parka kept my head from going under, but brought me back to the top like a piece of toast in a toaster, that it saved my life and made getting out a breeze.

some people who don't fish but enjoy walking on ice use a walking stick and tap the ice and learned what to listen for, ice anglers use a spud and hit the surface hard in the same spot twice. if it goes thru back the bus up and wait for more ice or check another lake.

learn how the lake freezes so you know before going on it how it froze or where the thinnest ice will be when you walk it. the center is normally the last to freeze because of wind.

you should go by your self for a while or rather, not take the family until you know its safe for them, but you shouldn't never go alone either in case you or your friend needs help. bring a garbage bag of extra clothes and towels and blankets for any one/every one in case any one/every one breaks thru.

your kids should have a whistle around their neck if they are old enough to go exploring on their own so they can be heard if they fall in.

another good choice for emergency recovery is take a boat seat cushions and have rope on those so it has weight if you have to throw it to your kid or spouse or friend or any victim. it can be used to kneel on or sit on too. use i clip on the seat end, so it can be removed and wrapped around the a person. pretty sure the seat handle would rip off, but not positive on that one.

so your not exhausted getting every thing out there, make smitty skies for when theirs snow on top or if its hard to pull your gear. use a long rope on it too and fasten it to the first raisers, not the tips of the skies. using the tips of the skies pushes the weight of your momentum to the rear of the skies, but makes it easy to turn.

good ice anchors that are fast to install and remove will be nice. gander mountain sells a 6 pack of eskimo anchors in a pouch that holds them in a flat roll and get a drill attachment by eskimo. they do go in easy by hand if you have to wait on the drill. but a drill is what many of us use to make our holes now. that 8" will be a real hard sell for a drill to turn. . like i said, you should swap it out for a 6" and get a drill to turn it for you. i use ridgid because they have a lifetime warranty, but milwaukee just cam out with the strongest at 1200 inch pounds on the version 2 fuel and 5 amp batteries. then you'll just need an adapter. i use the ice master because it won't let the auger fall off from the chuck and it has saved my augers many times.

so it's not just how thick the ice is where you measure it, it's about staying safe the entire time your on it. it's not all the same thickness and you can have a spring make weak areas under the ice. stay away from the drain holes. they look like blood shot eye balls!

you might consider getting a camera for the kids and wife to keep them busy, if/when they get bored from fishing.

use a safer heater like mr heater big buddy on sale at cabelas for the refurbs. they are 90$ right now and 156$ new. bring lots of gas!
http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ice-fishing/portable-heaters-accessories|/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104382180/mr-heater-reconditioned-portable-big-buddy-heater/1089658.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fportable-heaters-accessories%2F_%2FN-1100507%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104382180

stay safe and ask questions so you are better prepared when you hit the ice. most of them have been asked before, so you can read them via the sites search engine.

Offline Goodrichguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2015, 08:35 PM »
Lots of great info that I haven't thought about thanks!

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2015, 08:59 PM »
your welcome!
if you want to fish with some one, we need to know about where you are or where you want to meet up with folks to fish with.

Offline Goodrichguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2015, 09:03 PM »
Sounds great I mentioned I moved to Goodrich........ Southeast side of Flint.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2015, 09:11 PM »
never heard of it, nick name makes more scenes too! lol.

i'm between battle creek and albion, about 70 miles away at 69 and 94. i know there are some closer to you , but must be busy and not here tonight.

Offline Just Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2015, 07:13 PM »
Welcome to the forum Goodrichguy, I'm kinda new to this forum too, but already I have found it very informative.
I find myself just spending time reading a lot of the topics and seeing how they would apply for my needs or uses.
I'm over a little south and west of Lansing, Welcome to Michigan!

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2015, 08:49 PM »
welcome to the shanty

somthing you two should get is a outdoor atlas that shows the lakes and rivers
there are a lot of good small lakes to the east of you [my old stomping grounds as a kid]
elk lake over by attica is one of my favorites

SnoHam13

Offline fizzocyst

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2015, 09:26 PM »
Take M15 through Davison to the  Fishing Tackle Grab Bag. Younger guy in there helped me out a lot last year. Nice store and good advice. There's a few lakes in the area to fish. I just started ice fishing last year. I'm in the Davison/Flint area. I'll be on here more as the winter progresses. I don't think I got out last year until late January. I don't take chances and only like swimming in July.

Offline ifish4fishwithteeth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2015, 11:28 PM »
Welcome to Michigan and to Ice Shanty!
Lots of good info here. Read and enjoy.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2015, 07:52 AM »
The Sportsman Connection, South East Michigan Fishing Guide is a great book with info on most lakes with public access. They have them for all areas of our Great State. Most outdoor type stores have them. Good luck.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2015, 08:30 AM »
The Sportsman Connection, South East Michigan Fishing Guide is a great book with info on most lakes with public access. They have them for all areas of our Great State. Most outdoor type stores have them. Good luck.
If you use the Michigan DNR website you can get information on public lakes. You can also get stocking information.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2015, 10:40 AM »
Take M15 through Davison to the  Fishing Tackle Grab Bag. Younger guy in there helped me out a lot last year. Nice store and good advice. There's a few lakes in the area to fish. I just started ice fishing last year. I'm in the Davison/Flint area. I'll be on here more as the winter progresses. I don't think I got out last year until late January. I don't take chances and only like swimming in July.

glad to hear there still going
bought my LaCross iceman boots there [25 years ago] ;D
still use them
found a place to get new felts for them in Ely Mn.

SnoHam13

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2015, 11:32 AM »
still use them

SnoHam13
hope you don't have to replace them. they are made in china now and the glue seam from the bottom side to side uppers gives way and opens up. you'll get a replacement pair, still made in china.

big difference from usa to china made.

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2015, 11:53 AM »
Welcome goodrichguy. Hope you find some fun fishin.

Offline Goodrichguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2015, 03:42 PM »
Thank all of you for the welcoming and info. I can't wait till freeze up. Do you guys prefer the pop up shanties with floors or without?

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2015, 03:54 PM »
Thank all of you for the welcoming and info. I can't wait till freeze up. Do you guys prefer the pop up shanties with floors or without?
There are 3 types of shantys. Hubs are more like a tent with no floor but offer up a lot of room. They have 4 sides plus the roof that needs to be popped out. Most of the time they need to be ancored down to prevent the hub from blowing away. Cabin styles have a floor. They are also called a briefcase style. To set them up you flip over the floor, then you have 2 u-frame poles at each door. Those doors are then secured by 2 sets of interlocking poles for the roof. Flip overs are the easiest to set up but can also be the heaviest. They have several poles that are fixed to a sled. Most come with a seat that is attached to the sled. For most 1 man flip overs you just flip over and you are ready to fish. 2-3 mans you need to extend the poles when flipping it over. That still can be done in less than 10 seconds.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2015, 04:50 PM »
because you want to take family, you want a pop up. for a floor option, of sorts, i use harbor freight anti-fatigue mats for my wife, but bring several just in case ones. if your kids and wife have cheaper boots, their feet will get cold, so use the mats to help add insulation between them and the ice. you could use two under some ones feet or more.
they cost 10$ for 4 and sold in 4 packs.

Offline Goodrichguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2015, 05:58 PM »
I was thinking of a 2-3 person. I have a 13 yo daughter that will join me and a 4 year old now and then. I just need to learn to do it so I can teach my 13 yo to be safe. She is actually doing her hunter safety course now so we can find a place to hunt for next year.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2015, 06:31 PM »
they are heavy.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2015, 06:40 PM »
Before you buy a shanty you might want to figure out the style of ice fishing you want to do first. If you are interested in trying to find some active fish then I would suggest a flip over. The hubs would be great if you are fishing a small area. You can go outside and hole hop and use the hub to warm up.

Offline fizzocyst

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2015, 06:56 PM »
You can find some good deals on Craigslist too. I got two shanties and all necessary gear on there for $150. I saw a couple of shanties on there the other day.

Offline fizzocyst

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2015, 07:09 PM »
still use them

SnoHam13
[/quote.  That place is hard to beat. I go there quite a bit. Just wish they opened earlier. If it's fishing related they have it.

Offline Just Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2015, 05:46 AM »
I was thinking of a 2-3 person. I have a 13 yo daughter that will join me and a 4 year old now and then. I just need to learn to do it so I can teach my 13 yo to be safe. She is actually doing her hunter safety course now so we can find a place to hunt for next year.
I have a 2 man flip over Clam I am contemplating selling, (looking at a Eskimo crossover) if interested PM me.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2015, 07:01 AM »
Keep in mind that everytime you go fishing the family may not want to go, and you will be by yourself. Then a one man flipover would be nice, or a suitcase shanty would work also. I've been that route where others "said" they would go with me, then backed out, so you either don't go, or go alone, I choose to go alone.

Offline Goodrichguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2015, 07:16 AM »
Keep in mind that everytime you go fishing the family may not want to go, and you will be by yourself. Then a one man flipover would be nice, or a suitcase shanty would work also. I've been that route where others "said" they would go with me, then backed out, so you either don't go, or go alone, I choose to go alone.

And your not worried about the safety issues?

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2015, 07:54 AM »

And your not worried about the safety issues?
A flotation suit, ice picks, and a spud is what you should have with you when going solo. Even when I do fish with someone I still wouldn't rely on them to pull me out. I never fell through, but I would imagine that if I were to go through then the ice around me would be weak. If a buddy would try and grab my hand to assist me I would only assume he might end up falling in too. This is where throwing a rope to be pulled out would be the best way to go about it.

Offline bradh86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 25, 2015, 08:21 AM »
Welcome,  I'm back to MI after 4 years down south cant wait for ice.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 25, 2015, 10:13 AM »
I do fish by my self about 50% of the time
make sure you have the proper equipment as mentioned in other postings

if you fish at fairhaven, the others are great at NOT marking holes so watch were you place your feet

SnoHam13

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.