Author Topic: 2 Anglers sharing 1 LX-7  (Read 1232 times)

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
2 Anglers sharing 1 LX-7
« on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:01 PM »
Hey guys:
Looking at the LX-7. Can two people in a shanty simultaneously fish off the same LX-7 or is that a pretty complicated proposition? Thanks for your input guys!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 2 Anglers sharing 1 LX-7
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:10 PM »
When I was in my shanty fishing with a friend my flasher would pick up his jig too. If you go this route it might be better to have your jigs about 1 foot apart. This way you will be able to tell who's jig is who's.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:19 PM »
it would be cramped for me to sit that close unless it's my wife and then if she was fishing we might get tangled lines. i get tangled lines as it is now by my self when i use two rods. if you fish shallow maybe not, but then the flasher doesn't see that far apart in shallow water.

i wouldn't want to have to fish that way for sure.

look at the marcum troller maybe if you want a digital unit that is affordable. i think they are only 200$ and you could buy the shuttle for i think another 50$ to make some thing like the showdown, but much smaller. good for hole hoping is why they made it.

here's another way to look at what i'm saying. in 27 feet of water and the lx7 in narrow beam, it will show only 3.2 feet of the bottom. as you go up the water column, you loose the diameter of the vision it can see.
so you would have to be 3.2 feet away from each other to be able to see each others jigs on the edge of that diameter. it would be best to be in the center of it instead. the next problem would be if you or your friend was trying to catch the same fish. it might spook the fish and no one gets it. i try to keep my jigs at different heights for that reason.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:26 PM »
it would be cramped for me to sit that close unless it's my wife and then if she was fishing we might get tangled lines. i get tangled lines as it is now by my self when i use two rods. if you fish shallow maybe not, but then the flasher doesn't see that far apart in shallow water.

i wouldn't want to have to fish that way for sure.

look at the marcum troller maybe if you want a digital unit that is affordable. i think they are only 200$ and you could buy the shuttle for i think another 50$ to make some thing like the showdown, but much smaller. good for hole hoping is why they made it.

If you drill a hole in the middle for the transducer and the 2 fisherman have their holes about 3' apart I still think it will be within the cone to pick up each others jigs. If that doesn't work then let the unit mark 1 fisherman's ice jig but let the other fisherman be able to see what's happening on the screen so he knows when there is a fish around too.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:41 PM »
i fish in the triangle method by my self and still get tangles. if i fish this way with friends that don't have one we all want the fish it see's and then both are trying to get it to bite our jigs.

taking turns with it would be maybe a better choice. that's what i do now when some one comes with or i meet some one who does not have one. i set up my depth and let them borrow it for a while.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:42 PM »
Yes you can. It can be a blast to see who gets hooked up!

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2015, 12:39 AM »
I've tried jigging with a buddy using one flasher, after I got half seasick watching his touretts style jigging and trying to keep track of my jig I bought a spare one for him to use, well worth 350 bucks to not watch someone else's anarchy on the flasher lol, no joke, I seriously felt like I got seasick tryin to pay attention to it haha.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2015, 07:30 AM »
in < 20' yes its not ideal.  over 20 its very possible if you are fishing off the bottom. 

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2015, 07:55 AM »
I usually take one corner of the hub shanty, one without a door, and drill a hole as close to the corner as possible for the sonar. Then in front of it I drill two holes and my buddy and I share the flasher. It's easy and no big deal.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline derek_buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2015, 09:21 AM »
Depends how deep you are fishing.  If you are in deep water, you should be able to no problem.  If it is shallow, you would have to be so close that the tangles wouldn't be worth it. When I am fishing deep water, I sometimes pick up my friends jig on accident, and it becomes a bit of a pain because I have trouble discerning which jig is mine and which is his.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2015, 11:19 AM »
you should be able to. I did this when I had my vexilar fl8 in a clam 2000 shelter when my buddies were to cheap to buy their own flashers.hahaha.i got sick of seeing their jig on the screen  real quick though.

Offline kevin1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2015, 06:59 PM »
the wife and i sometimes share the LX7 in the middle, but usually just to see where the jigs are at in the water. we sight fish alot and it sometimes gets hard on the back, so this way we can see when something shows up to target.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2015, 07:14 AM »
Before I got the wife her own LX 7 we always shared my LX 7. We fish together out of a Otter Cottage and usually fish on a lake where we get crappies 15-25'. We would just drill the triangle method and never had any problems. Takes a few fish to tell who's jig is who's but it worked fine for us. Sometimes now with both of us having flashers I think it might be better to just run 1 when your that close to each other. We always bring both though because I'm usually in search mode.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:47 AM »
I think if you are fishing 2 guys to one finder you want a graph type.  I've tried it with my LX-7, and its not ideal, but at least you can tell which jig is yours by the history.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.