Author Topic: Looking for help with lakers  (Read 2816 times)

Offline WiscoNative

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for help with lakers
« on: Nov 19, 2015, 05:03 PM »
Hello All-
I am new to the Colorado ice fishing scene but grew up ice fishing my whole life. I would really like to target some bigger fish this winter and would like to try and catch (release) some lakers especially. I was just looking for some helpful tips on lure selection, depths/contours to look for and possibly some good starter lake options. I am not looking for any honey holes but some advice would greatly be appreciated. I also am always looking forward to meeting people so maybe meet up once the water turns over.
I live in south Aurora but willing to drive to where there is some action. If you'd like to PM me that is fine as well.
Good luck all
“Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Looking for help with lakers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2015, 05:12 PM »
Welcome to the site..  The Colorado guys will surely help you out... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2015, 05:30 PM »
Hello WiscoNative, ya big cheesehead, and welcome. If you look a little ways down this board you'll see that waterwhipper has posted an ice fishing seminar for November 27, Black Friday, at his store on the west side of the Springs. The speaker is a skilled laker guide out of Gunnison/Blue Mesa who knows his stuff. If you choose to come, arrive early cause parking sucks.
I like to target bigger fish also so I mostly shoot for Elevenmile Northerns though there are good lakes all over the State. Slayerfish will be happy to take you under his wing and share his special honeyholes and techniques.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2015, 05:42 PM »
Welcome, WiscoNative!  If you want laker fishing, Colorado is a good place to be.  However, getting BIG lakers is another story.  You will have to put in some time and travel some miles to get that done -- people have their honey holes for big fish, and they won't surrender them easily.  Granby is the well known spot for big fish, but several other places offer good chances at trophies too.

I agree with Stinky -- try to take on a seminar this winter to point you in the right direction.  You can also meet a few "laker" guys who may ask you to join if you're a nice and respectful dude.  The seminar in the springs is a good choice, and Bernie Keefe gave a great seminar at Cabelas last December, so keep your eyes open for that.

And use the search function here on IceShanty -- plenty of info on lures, techniques, etc. for chasing lakers.  Standard fare is white tubes or grub tails on 1/8 to 1/2 oz jig heads, tipped with sucker meat or without.

I'm just getting started with my laker techniques -- for me, it's been fun trying new lakes and meeting some new friends, and trying new techniques.  But big fish don't come easy!  Good luck, and welcome again.
Nate
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2015, 06:19 PM »
Hey man, welcome, lots of good advice here...There are alot of choices to fish for lakers...Granby/11 Mile/even Georgetown and I am sure a whole bunch of smaller less fished areas as well...hit the seminars, read up on the characteristics and good hunting...Check and in and let us know how u r doing this winter, I am sure most of us would not have a problem with a transplant tagging along...

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2015, 06:28 PM »
Hey man, welcome, lots of good advice here...There are alot of choices to fish for lakers...Granby/11 Mile/even Georgetown and I am sure a whole bunch of smaller less fished areas as well...hit the seminars, read up on the characteristics and good hunting...Check and in and let us know how u r doing this winter, I am sure most of us would not have a problem with a transplant tagging along...

Um...gotta call you on that Mono...2/3 places you mentioned are not laker fisheries... :-\. Don't want to point the guy in the wrong direction!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline WiscoNative

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2015, 08:39 PM »
Thanks for the quick response  on this. I am going to try and make it to the seminar next week and if not keep my ear open for upcoming events.
I should have been more clear on my first post...I would be happy with any laker action. Not that I am complaining but going to giver my all to catch some non stockers this winter.
I definitely  got the itch because I already have started and tuned the auger, got the vex batteries  charged and the Thorne  Bros rods with fresh mono.
I been doing a little research on laker jigs. Sounds like tube jig tipped with a chunk of sucker is the go to set up. Any luck on jigging raps, spoons, blade baits?
Should I focus on deep open basins, edges, flats? Suppose depends on pressure and time of day.
Thanks again
“Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2015, 10:26 AM »
Google search "lake trout ice fishing" and begin reading the countless blogs, articles, and watch videos online. It taught me so much and then I just went out to Granby to give it a shot. Landed many 16-20"ers and a bonus 24" the first time out. Also, I invite you to go with me so just shoot a PM once the laker spots start to freeze. I'm certainly no expert or guide but would be willing to teach you the basics.

BigBassMan has pointed you in the right direction for lures. RMO, Granby bait and tackle, (and my fav) Budget Tackle owners/employees will all give you even more great info when you stop in. Even some of the guys at BPS can give you a tip or two. Fresh caught suckers are way better than frozen. And that's another piece of the puzzle...Where to catch some suckers!

Macks can be found on top of structure, on the edge of it suspended at 40 feet over deeper water, or just flat on the bottom at 80+ feet. Like in all types of fishing, you have to move and keep moving until you find them or find the active ones. They're in different spots every time I go it seems.

Your rod, reel, line, and leaders are a whole other topic you'll want to research. There are a ton of details to get right so search online and start your schooling!
Selective harvest works!

Offline WiscoNative

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Colipripper- I greatly appreciate the offer on joining you fishing sometime and will gladly take you up on the offer once the lakes freeze up. I agree with you on being mobile when it comes to ice fishing. I am always trying different depths, contours and structure because like you say they are always on the move and so should we.

Maybe someone can help me here but how do I send someone a PM? I click on the name or picture and says I am unable to perform this task.

Depending on the weather I may try hiking into some mountain lakes this weekend and take a look and see how the ice is doing and fingers crossed maybe wet a line.

Thanks again guys
I am haunted by waters.”

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2015, 12:08 PM »
Most lakes above 9k are now iced over. All above 10k are. The bigger lakes: Granby and GMR will most likely be iced over by Christmas...or at least the coves or non-windy spots should be.

IIRC you have to gain more than 10 posts/points to PM.
Selective harvest works!

Offline WiscoNative

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2015, 12:17 PM »
I hope Granby will be safe to travel over New Years because the wife and I are staying with some friends over New Years by Frasier.

The lake I have in mind is about 10,000 feet and I would think its safe to fish. Its a 5 mile hike in but should have little to no pressure.

Any pointers on where I could try and catch some suckers around the South Aurora area?
I am haunted by waters.”

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2015, 12:44 PM »

Any pointers on where I could try and catch some suckers around the South Aurora area?
No question there are plenty of suckers in South Aurora but if you're looking for bait, just hit the local bait shops. They don't have to be fresh, whole suckers. Frozen works. Just filet off a strip of sucker meat and hook that on your jig. Remember, no live bait fish west of the Continental Divide.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2015, 01:30 PM »
It's just my experience that I've found once the frozen sucker packs thaw, the meat is mush and therefore falls right off. You can stuff that mushiness up in a tube to provide the scent the lakers are looking for.

I've been able to catch suckers so I don't have to pay inflated prices for gross bait. But if I couldn't catch any, I've had decent luck on suckers from BPS. Some places don't take care when freezing it. IMO No, you don't need to go catch suckers but it helps.

By the way, carp works too!
Selective harvest works!

Offline WiscoNative

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2015, 03:01 PM »
Looks like I need to do some research and look for some sucker/carp spots here soon.

From your experience (which I am sure I will have to see myself as well) do lakers generally like to chase lures up in the water column or do they generally hit on the way down? Ever get them deadsticking or more of an aggresive jig action work?

Also where are some good places to find maps of Granby? Depth contours and locations (ie pump house, dike 3, etc). I would like to get a map before I head up there over New Years.

I am haunted by waters.”

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2015, 03:44 PM »
Just dunk a half worm piece at any local pond for your suckers and carp. I've got my spots on the west side of town so am not sure about Aurora spots.

Lakers will hit in all the ways you've mentioned. It's really a day to day puzzle that one must figure out. There is no end all, be all way they act. It helps to have multiple people in your group to figure it out faster. Just go with someone or a group and you'll pick it all up in due time. There's no quick, instant road to knowing these fish. I'm still learning every time I chase macks.
Selective harvest works!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2015, 04:55 PM »
Sucker meat isn't 100% required for catching lakers --- you can catch plenty using other patterns, too.  Scented plastics or good old heavy metal can work fine without meat.  Don't be afraid to try a few things to experiment.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline WiscoNative

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2015, 05:01 PM »
Thats what I was thinking and will try some experimenting hopefully this weekend. I plan on stocking up on some gear this week (any recommendations on tube jig size/length) or just get multiple sizes/weights/color. I assume slight changes can trigger a bite just like walleye and crappie.
I probably will have to try frozen sucker (if I can find some) if I go this weekend. Might have to do the rubber band trick if the meat gets mushy.
I am haunted by waters.”

Offline Toddr44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2015, 08:58 PM »
  Glow, white and green are pretty standard for tube jigs. I like a 3/4 oz. jig head with a VMC hook. I like jigging with braid for the added sensitivity and no stretch but it can be a pain in the butt at times too. I generally like a little piece of sucker meat but I've caught plenty without. Look at BSP or your local tackle shop ( I always try to buy from the local guys first) for Fish-n-Map co. Map of Granby. It's not only a contour map but the new ones add GPS locations and points out spots that are likely for the species your after. They're also waterproof. I've been staring at mine for weeks now marking spots that I want to fish this year.
  Good luck!

Offline WiscoNative

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2015, 09:51 AM »
Has anyone had luck using cut up fathead minnows? When I walleye fish I usually use a fathead's head tipped on a spoon. Just curious if there are certain oils/fats that are in sucker meat that gets them going more. I understand too that there is no live bait on the west side of the continental divide but was going to possibly try them on this side of the divide or freeze them if I do go further west.
I am haunted by waters.”

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2015, 10:09 AM »
One day we(even our newb chicks) were hammering lakers at Granby in 40 fow on top of structure using 2" glow white tubes with 1/2oz inserts tipped with a small piece of sucker and 2 guys nearby weren't getting squat. They came over and asked what we were using so we showed em. They were using the same lures but they had mono as a mainline (I only use braid) and no sucker. They were using frozen minnows; whole and just the head. Oh, and earthworms. It's really tough to hook a laker with mono on. It's the stretch and delay it causes in 30+fow.

Lakers want suckers mostly but yes, they'll hit 1/8 to 1/2 kastmasters or big white jigging raps for sure. Yes, you can catch em with other stuff and/or no sucker, but I catch way more when I've got suckers.

Wisco - Are you going up to try for hike in, high elevation lake trout this weekend?
Selective harvest works!

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2015, 10:34 AM »

Selective harvest works!

Offline Wetmoron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2015, 05:24 PM »
Keep the info coming. We wanna know all the secrets haha  ;D

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2015, 09:58 AM »
If those are secrets...you've never used a computer  ::)
Selective harvest works!

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2015, 01:01 PM »
Most of the sports shops in town have frozen sucker meat.  Gander Mtn on the east frontage road to I225 between Iliff and Mississippi always has them in stock.  Lakers feed at all levels but are predominately benthic meaning they are found on the bottom...thus suckers are on their daily menu.  Buy some one oz jig heads and some white and chartreuse gitzits to about 3 inches in length.  Tip with sucker belly strips or the frozen 4 inch suckers that you can buy a Gander as well.  Have a stiff rod and bait cast reel with 6-8 lb test.  Remember...no live are legal for these mountain lakes.

This time of year, look for the steep breaks in underwater slope at anywhere for 50 to 80 feet of water. Drop your set up to the bottom and "mooch" which is a term for a slow up water jigging action and drop back down to the bottom.  I usually raise setup about a foot off the bottom and drop back down.  If your line goes slack before hitting the bottom, set the hook hard as they often strike when the setup is on the way down.

Invest in a depth finder as it will definitely improve your odds.  And the newer Lake bottom maps when you can find them, will save yourself a lot of time in finding starting structures.

Tight lines....

MM

Offline WiscoNative

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2015, 04:00 PM »
I appreciate all the helpful info you guys have replied to and will keep all this in mind this weekend. I also double checked the regulations and stand corrected on using live bait on this side of the divide (didn't realize that lakes above 7,000' were a no go).
Going to meet up with a helpful Ice Shanty member and giver a try Saturday. Hopefully have some pictures and good news to report.
I am haunted by waters.”

Offline lvrider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:59 AM »
sucker meat on a 3 in white tube jig you should be able to keep em off if you are in a good spot. although i have caught more without. i have also caught fish on the opposite end of the hook on the tube. i call those sock suckers especially when you have to beat their head on the ice to make em let go.

Offline dallasdb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 26, 2015, 05:56 PM »
i have also caught fish on the opposite end of the hook on the tube.

What do you mean by the "opposite end of the hook on the tube?"

Offline lvrider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2015, 09:13 PM »
the head of the tube. the part thats full of lead and you tie the line too. ive caught stupid bobos with no hook essentially. got a gopro to film it but that early ice bite was the only time they did it.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2015, 11:53 PM »
If your line goes slack before hitting the bottom, set the hook hard as they often strike when the setup is on the way down.

MM

That's $$ advice MM. 

Offline dallasdb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 27, 2015, 05:30 PM »
the head of the tube. the part thats full of lead and you tie the line too. ive caught stupid bobos with no hook essentially. got a gopro to film it but that early ice bite was the only time they did it.
That's wild! Basically they bit and wouldn't let go?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.