The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: jiffy augers  (Read 757 times)

Offline Bassman63

• IceShanty Rookie
jiffy augers
« on: Nov 19, 2015, 01:56 PM »
need a little help.1st time poster long time ice shanty fan. I have 2 older jiffys one 8 inch and a 10 inch like to get them serviced before the start of the season. I was wondering if anyone knows who is good with these older augers. I live in central Ma.and I am willing to travel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
Re: jiffy augers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2015, 02:24 PM »
depends what is needed? replace plug, clean filter, set idle/mixture screw to factory spec..should start.

burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline Bassman63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2015, 03:39 PM »
both machines start and run but seem to lack power when needed. would like someone that knows a little more to look at them. thamks again

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2015, 03:51 PM »
I have owned several older jiffys and mine would run well in the yard but they would not come up on a high rpm but on the ice they would and I think it was because there was no load on the motor in the yard but once they started cutting they would its best to fine tune them on the ice if they were stored with fuel in them there may carb issues

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2015, 07:27 PM »
I've posted this a time or two or ten.   Augers are simple machines - yours probably have tecumseh motors.   To get maximum enjoyment/ use out of your auger, it is best to get familiar with them and learn to do the work yourself.   Take your time.   Read the threads archived here.  Youtube. Buy any necessary tools you don't have. 
You will b amazed at just how easy it is to get  and keep your machine running well.   

You'll move on to curing that snowblower that only runs well with a little choke because the carb is dirty.   

JB

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2015, 08:33 PM »
If you are not the work on your own stuff type try Barry's bait on Rt 20.  He is in the USA Marine building in the back.  Jimmy is a great guy.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2015, 08:43 PM »
You could just sell them both and buy a new one then you shouldn't have any worries

Offline Bassman63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2015, 06:32 PM »
I had the 8 inch auger for over 20 yrs always been very reliable. I think it may be the power head just would like to see if its worth fixing. thanks for the help and advice. maybe I will give Barrys bait a call

Offline dane grasso

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2015, 06:34 PM »
 ;D i bought mine in 1990 still runs good, two years ago it started to screw up. went down lowes started buying 40/1 trufuel no problem

happy wife happy life

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2015, 06:59 PM »
SEAFOAM ...add 1/4 tank of fresh  mix of oil/gas to auger tank ...then a 2oz of seafoam to auger tank and mix .. start auger let it run to cycle the mix thoroughly ...then choke it to kill it ...let it sit an hour ...then restart ...let run ...rev it up and down a few times ...choke it till it dies ...let it sit overnight ... that should do the trick ....as long as the basics were in good order ...plug/gap  air filter/cleaned/oiled
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Seafoam, Then when you get it all cleaned out. Switch to trufuel. check air filter also.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2015, 11:12 AM »
Like Ed said, call jimmy at Barry's bait. He's a great guy and will get it running for you!

Offline dartonpro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2015, 01:49 PM »
Just buy tru fuel from store. Best stuff not ethanol or mixing oil. Little expensive but worth it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.