The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Sebago Lake & place to stay  (Read 868 times)

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
Sebago Lake & place to stay
« on: Nov 19, 2015, 11:27 AM »
Hey there guys.  I would like to make an ice fishing trip to Sebago Lake and I do not know anything about the lake.  My fishing buddies and I have talked about making a weekend trip all of last year but never made it happen.  I will for sure make a trip this year and I could use any info/help as to where to even begin to think about venturing out onto the lake and also where a good place to stay would be the best options for a weekend trip.  I know its about 3 1/2 to 4 hrs. away and I don't have any problems going as far as I need to to find the great fishing.  I will be having to walk out onto the lake but I don't care how far I have to go out either.  Thanks for any info anyone is willing to share.  I'm not looking for anyone's hot spot, I'm just looking to make one weekend trip up to give it a try.  Don't be bothered by the name NH piker.  I've gotten some rude remarks before from this Maine page but I only fish for Pike on Lake Champlain in VT and just started fishing for Laker's (Togue) last winter and got hooked on this type of ice fishing.  For the first time I used a flasher, jigged for fish, and fished for Laker's and I wish I tried this so many years ago.  I still have much to learn with this type of ice fishing and really want to try Sebago Lake.

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sebago Lake & place to stay
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2015, 01:55 PM »
Having a lot of experience on that lake, there are places to stay nearby.  The most advisable thing to fish from the boat ramp where Peaks Kenny State park is.  During the winter the skinny part of the lake gets slow, the narrows and the larger lake are a little more consistant.  Fish early in the season, the later you get it seems to slow as well.  It its a very up and down lake with some great days mixed in with subpar days.

Offline Bad Heering

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2015, 02:02 PM »
Wyndham just opened up a new one on Rt#302 recently http://www.microtelinn.com/hotels/maine/windham/microtel-inn-and-suites-by-wyndham-windham/hotel-overview?partner_id=&unique_url=&hotel_id=47542&group_code=&campaign_code=&propId=MT47542&brand_id=MT&checkout_date=&modify=false&useWRPoints=false&children=0&corporate_id=&ratePlan=BAR&teens=0&affiliate_id=&altPropId=47542&brand_code=BH%2CDI%2CRA%2CBU%2CHJ%2CKG%2CMT%2CSE%2CTL%2CWG%2CWY%2CWT%2CWP&iata=&childAgeParam=&rate_code=&adults=1&discreteParam=&checkin_date=&rooms=1which puts you right dab in the middle of Sebago Lake with many options minutes away. Sebago does not seem to freeze early so put your trip off till February (even then its a crap shot). As for access there are numerous Raymond beach (10 mins from motel) State Park (20 mins from motel) The Station (15 mins from Motel) that should take care of a couple days fishing I would think.

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2015, 03:27 PM »
oo haha i miss read that thought it said Sebec, disregard my info its been a long week at work .......

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2015, 04:29 PM »
Sebago is a great lake for togue and jigging with electronics is definitely the way to go.  Fish can be found in many areas of the lake, so I would suggest that you spend some time looking over the navionics charts to find areas that look good.  Also be sure to contact Sebago Bait or Jordan's store close to your trip to get an update on ice conditions.  Jordan Bay and lower bay usually freeze well by late January or earlier in cold years, but the big bay freezes later and often not at all.

As far as fishing, pack light and plan to cover a lot of water.  Definitely doable on foot (that's how I fish it), but I would suggest a smitty sled and snowshoes or xc skis if there is much snow cover so you don't lose mobility.

I won't usually fish a hole more than 5 minutes if I dont mark fish.  If you mark fish but they won't hit, try a smaller jig.  I've done best by far the last couple of years with much smaller stuff than the traditional big bucktails and Swedish pimples. Bigger jigs and large dead suckers may be better if you want a trophy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.