The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: booked a camp today for Jan 4th to the 8th  (Read 645 times)

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
booked a camp today for Jan 4th to the 8th
« on: Nov 19, 2015, 01:50 AM »
Just hoping for ice...they r predicting a warm winter. Has anyone ever booked a camp for early January an not had ice? I'm definitely ready to get out on the ice!

Offline bucks-n-ducks

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: booked a camp today for Jan 4th to the 8th
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2015, 04:09 AM »
I was wondering this too. I rented a camp jan 3-10

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2015, 05:44 AM »
There's a chance the bigger lakes won't have safe ice. That's not good if you want to catch togue. By January most of the smaller ponds should have enough ice to safely support a person on foot.

Offline MAINETROUTWHISPERER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2015, 07:03 AM »
The past few years I have fished on a togue lake on opening day. Last year I only dared to fish along the cove for brookies since the lake completely froze only a few days before Jan 1st. There was 4 inches but it was like glass and that always freaks me out. Id like to think you would atleast be able to fish in she shallow by then. Depends on the lake, temps, wind and rain we get. What lake you looking at?

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2015, 08:02 AM »
I book a camp the first week in january each year, and have had unsafe (towards the middle) ice more than once or twice.  We always manage to fish closer to shore at least.
"many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after"

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2015, 12:43 AM »
Yea I'm thinking this year could be a fish close to shore type of year on alot of lakes an ponds until maybe the middle of January. The lake I rented a camp on is up north probably around a 500 acre lake so not huge. I rented the camp in hopes of targeting salmon.

Offline troutmster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2015, 06:06 AM »
Like icefisha,My group have stayed at same camp for almost 20 years the first week and we've never had a season that we couldn't fish.. A couple of years fishing close to shore lines but still catch fish..Just be smart ..The further north the better!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.