The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Point me in the right direction???  (Read 933 times)

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Point me in the right direction???
« on: Nov 18, 2015, 05:25 PM »
 Was wondering where the nearest walleye fishery is to us. Have been tossing around the idea of doing an overnighter for em, just looking for a heading. Never caught one and want to add it to the list this year.

Looking for a fishery, not a 1/100 chance because I'm sure someone will through out the belgrades as a location. Thanks in advance!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Point me in the right direction???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2015, 05:38 PM »
I have a friend in NH who guides for them. Look up Tim Moore Outdoors.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Was wondering where the nearest walleye fishery is to us. Have been tossing around the idea of doing an overnighter for em, just looking for a heading. Never caught one and want to add it to the list this year.

Looking for a fishery, not a 1/100 chance because I'm sure someone will through out the belgrades as a location. Thanks in advance!

For ice fishing or fly fishing?  NH has a fishery, but I believe it is mostly in the CT River in the Keene area.  That would only work for fly fishing though.  Ask on the NH Board, they would be better at answering any questions.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2015, 08:56 PM »
Champlain has a good population. Never fished it. Big lake.
Just did a quick search: http://www.walleyefishingsecrets.com/lake-champlain.html
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2015, 09:47 PM »
Probably looking at or 4 or 5 hr drive from winslow. Bearu  an Glazier have them. Never caught one myself. Check out the lakes in northern maine.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2015, 10:02 PM »

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2015, 10:27 PM »
Head out on the ice about as far as you want and look down!
That's where I would look.  ;D
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:03 AM »
Head out on the ice about as far as you want and look down!
That's where I would look.  ;D

Always a joker in every crowd.  @) the drive isn't a problem, I've done worse for less. Was just wondering if anyone had first hand experience. I plan on looking into it before ice hits. If I get around to going great, if not there's always next year.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2015, 06:01 AM »
Probably looking at or 4 or 5 hr drive from winslow. Bearu  an Glazier have them. Never caught one myself. Check out the lakes in northern maine.
Beau and Glazier are part of the St. John River system. They are known for muskellunge, not walleye. The only walleyes I have heard of in Maine were in the Belgrades. The state stocked them in Long Pond years ago but they never reproduced. Locals were encouraged to take as many as they could catch at spawning time by fishing, netting or spearing to eliminate the population. Within the last few years a couple have been caught in Messalonskee Lake. They are believed to be from an illegal introduction and are not believed to be reproducing..

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2015, 09:01 AM »
I did this research a couple years ago. Belgrades were stocked in the 1920s and killed off/out with freak encounters since. One lake on NH/Maine border but the locals claim not in last 10 years. A certainty is the CT river up to the dam in Manchester, but its tough/impossible to ice fish. Champlain has a good supply and you can easily drive on in Feb from a variety of spots, Colchester is a great town. Eat at the bar by the marina, it looks like a dive but the food is phenomenal.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2015, 09:25 AM »

walleye not musky.  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.