Author Topic: rainbow trout favorites  (Read 1457 times)

Offline willowking

• IceShanty Rookie
rainbow trout favorites
« on: Nov 17, 2015, 05:50 PM »
well I am the new guy on the block, so I am wondering what kind of bait or jigs work best for rainbows. :icefish:

Offline DannerAK

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: rainbow trout favorites
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2015, 06:15 PM »
I've caught them on a WIDE variety of jigs and spoons so I recommend trying a few techniques and finding what is most successful for you.  Hard to beat small whitish colored tube jigs.  A lot of guys like to use maribou jigs in pink.  My favorite technique (not necessarily "the best") for ice fishing (rainbows included) is jigging swedish pimple spoons.  As for bait, salmon eggs and shrimp are hard to beat for most species in AK, rainbows are no exception.  Often times bait isn't necessary.   

Offline willowking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2015, 10:52 AM »
thank you for he info danner,,, its a starting point and I will use that info,,,,

Offline wesak81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2015, 07:10 PM »
pink and purple aero jigs tipped with shrimp are deadly................ ...........
NOTHING IS BETTER THEN BEING ON THE WATER

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2015, 07:13 PM »
Anything by Custom Jigs and Spins seems to work well for me. Their slender spoon,Shrimpo and Ratso are some of my favorites. The only one I don't use is the purest. Not enough hook exposed on that one.
Pink,orange,white are some of my favorite colors.
Nowadays I make most of my own jigs and that is where I will continue to go. When I run out of Store bought jigs I won't be buying anymore.
Tip your jigs with raw uncooked shrimp. Do not use cocktail shrimp. The raw shrimp stays on the hook so much better as the cocktail variety is too brittle.
I use curl tail plastics or small tubes on my jigs as well and they work great.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Forrealyo11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'Em
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2015, 09:43 AM »
1/8 or 1/4 oz white with pink jig head with a 1.25" white/pearl tube for the body. This work very well in the summer too. I've caught more rainbows with this setup than anything else. Good luck. Freshwater basics make a great tube.

Offline Crsilook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2015, 12:03 PM »
What has been my favorite for the past few years has been a Mepps Sycolps.  If they're not interested in that,  I usually switch to eggs or shrimp.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.