Author Topic: Thinking about a camera  (Read 2151 times)

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thinking about a camera
« on: Nov 17, 2015, 07:25 AM »
Any have the Aquavu micro?  Seems like a good little unit.
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Thinking about a camera
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2015, 07:59 AM »
I got one reconditioned from the manufacturer last winter. The price was good. It's novel but I think it's gunna take me more time to have it be much more than that. It's a good scouting tool, I can see what the bottom situation is regarding weeds and mud and whatever but it's hard to find my jig on it from a neighboring hole so I don't really use it to see the bite although I'd like to if anyone has any tips for locating the jig. I always kinda hope I'll find stuff cool stuff down there like a fishing pole or a gun or car or something. If you've got a few extra bucks and like gadgets I say get one they're neat and at least a little helpful

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2015, 08:13 AM »
i went with the marcum lx7 to lx9 upgrade to get the camera upgrade the lx7 didn't have one, so i won't be able to help you on the auq-vu other than share links and opinion. because it uses infrared, it will show better in dark conditions the bright white led's can and that's what aqu-vu uses and 100 foot cord that's a tiny diameter. supposedly pocket sized. the mico 5 has a hd option but marcum said with that small of screen and in low light conditions there's no need for it when i asked about making one for us.
if i wanted a stand alone camera, that sounds to be the choice. sportsmansguide has 10% off and free ship and if you join another 10% off and they are on sale, last i knew.

it was just discussed in general forum section. it sounded like a nice camera. a few were attaching their leader to the camera and fishing with it to get nice fish shots.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=319336.0

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=318968.0

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2015, 02:35 PM »
Thanks very much for the responses!  My concern with using this unit in Saskatchewan is the small diameter of the cable and the fear of dropping it down the hole.  I really like the portability of the unit.  I would use it to scout holes for bottom and structure etc.  I also have a flasher which I use all the time.  I found this video on which is interesting.

https://youtu.be/0oI3x-QSciI

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2015, 02:45 PM »
Self contained battery ...compact light ...I have two a 5 and a micro plus . AV has a new fin looks to be more sturdy and easier to position the camera

http://www.aquavu.com/Products/AV-Micro-II-Replacement-Parts_2/AV-Micro-Fins-qty-2

don't forget your rebate on the case

http://www.aquavu.com/Rebates

my mods

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=309081.0
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Catchin' Fish

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2015, 11:15 PM »
Any have the Aquavu micro?  Seems like a good little unit.

I have several cameras and bought the micro to use for quick hole checks for perch.  Didnt care for it to much, screen is very small and perch are tiny on screen.  I think I prefer to lug one of my full size around to check holes.  Prefer my LX9 or sd825vs or even my old AV scout.

If you are hole hopping a lot then maybe ok, or looking for the weed edge.
Good for some people but not so much for me(we drill lots of holes in an area then check with camera, set up over fish).

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2015, 09:29 AM »
I have several cameras and bought the micro to use for quick hole checks for perch.  Didnt care for it to much, screen is very small and perch are tiny on screen.  I think I prefer to lug one of my full size around to check holes.  Prefer my LX9 or sd825vs or even my old AV scout.

If you are hole hopping a lot then maybe ok, or looking for the weed edge.
Good for some people but not so much for me(we drill lots of holes in an area then check with camera, set up over fish).

thats great news for me, thanks for that!

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2015, 09:46 AM »
Not bad but the image is just so so.  Hard to get a good image out of a bullet sized camera underwater.  The videos on YouTube are a good indicator of what you will get

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2015, 12:06 PM »
One thing I'll add is that I have kids and a wife that sometimes join me.  I'm thinking the larger unit with a bigger screen may be better.  I'd be buying the entry level unit of whatever brand I choose $300-$400. 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2015, 12:19 PM »
One thing to consider if you buy a Vexilar unit ...you can buy a DVR100 as an add on later...not much else out there to record from camera that are portable.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2015, 09:42 AM »
Looked at the Aquavu 716 the other day.  Its reasonably priced and looks to have what I need.  Bells and whistles aren't important.  I want to be able to see the structure and check if there are fish around. 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2015, 11:31 AM »
Looked at the Aquavu 716 the other day.  Its reasonably priced and looks to have what I need.  Bells and whistles aren't important.  I want to be able to see the structure and check if there are fish around.

Do you have a Flasher ? As previous threads/posts have discussed a flasher will improve your catch rate for sure a camera not as much.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2015, 11:38 AM »
be careful cause the batteries are rechargeable lithium ion batteries you can't just go to the drug store to replace them.. just a heads up... 

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:36 PM »
Do you have a Flasher ? As previous threads/posts have discussed a flasher will improve your catch rate for sure a camera not kidsas much.

Yes I bought a flasher last year and LOVE it.  The camera is more for my kids and wife and to scout structure/bottom. 

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:36 PM »
be careful cause the batteries are rechargeable lithium ion batteries you can't just go to the drug store to replace them.. just a heads up...

How much are they to replace?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2015, 05:37 PM »
How much are they to replace?

don't know you would have to check in to that.. there not standard drug store batteries so you can't just buy a pack and go is my point... had problems with cameras and gps units that don't take a standard battery...  and you got to find a replacement for them usually there like $5-$10 but you got to ship them is the other problem stuff dies when you least expect it is my point then you want to fish and need a new battery pack.....

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2015, 07:00 PM »
I bought one last year at the Milwaukee Ice Show and like it.  I got a good deal but also love the small size.  I have enough stuff to haul out on the ice and didn't like the thought of adding to that list.  I looked at the Marcum cameras and liked what I saw but being able to put the Micro in my pocket sold me.  No problems yet.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2015, 10:13 PM »
gillgrabber.. does it work standing ouside of the tent?

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2015, 09:34 AM »
Bought the micro 5 with dvr late summer. Couldn't find one locally, ordered from them. Price worked out the same as they are now at Cabelas here. Used it from the boat, so you're always moving a bit. Got some really nice recordings of bottom structure and fish. Makes it nice to see what the Hum 899 is showing. Have a basic fish cam, this one is better by far. Still need an anti-glare screen protector, easy fix from Staples. Wouldn't consider a non recording unit now. Cool to look at the vids later. The infared does cause a snowstorm effect, shows all the little stuff floating around. Size does matter, pic is good, handy unit for sure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.