The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Got impatient, spent some dough.  (Read 893 times)

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Got impatient, spent some dough.
« on: Nov 16, 2015, 05:16 AM »
  I have two rules about buying fishing rods, and I'm sure most have the same rules.  Never buy a combo because the reel sucks, and never buy a rod you can't hold in your hand.  Well I broke both rules yesterday.  I have been looking at "The Snitch" combo for a week online, and reading the description it seemed like the rod I was looking for.  Advertised as a rod you can see the bite but also feel the bite, solid graphite with a sensitive tip.  Making the trip to Cabelas is a big deal this busy time of year.  Yesterday I noticed free shipping from them for any order $49 or more.  The combo fell into that category.  I wanted to try the CGI reel anyway, and that was what was on the rod.  Bought it sight unseen, but I think it will work out.

I was going to wait until Black Friday before buying a flasher, but after seeing the upcoming Cabelas Black Friday ad a few days ago I lost confidence that I would see a better price than Reeds has right now.  Slept on it.  Sat here drinking coffee and said what the heck, one less thing to think about.  So I pulled the trigger on the Marcum Lx-5i for 417.99.  Shipping wasn't bad either, around $11-$12.  Reeds VIP pricing is the best around that I could find for any flashers.  If anybody is looking and unfamiliar with Reeds as I was, make sure you click on an item and bring up the description to see the VIP price.  You just sign up to be a VIP. Real easy.

I just want to thank everyone that helped me along the way in my flasher shopping.  Ron had a great testimonial in a PM, clamfarmer, stickbait, old goat, 3300, and APJ were very helpful also.  All who replied on the public forum also. 

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
Re: Got impatient, spent some dough.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2015, 06:59 AM »
Glad to see you bought a Marcum.    I just bought a LX6s  and got it for 500. Sportsman guide.. Now I have a flasher and vertical bar graph  and side graph. Should have it tomorrow.. :thumbsup: :icefish:
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2015, 08:40 AM »
yup, the lx6 is the ticket! or bigger.
i just sent my lx7 to have it upgraded into the lx9 and i am also excited. i hope it works where i fish okay.
they give you another 2 years warranty when you do that because they change it all out.
the lx5 is analog, if you could swap it out while its new and unused, it would be nicer to get their digital series. the lx6 or bigger is digital. any thing under that is analog sorry to say. they should have used a different model name and not keep the same name and move the numbers up. it's misleading.

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2015, 09:31 AM »
You will love your LX6 APJ, half the fun is moving all those graphs around.

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2015, 05:50 PM »
Glad to see you bought a Marcum.    I just bought a LX6s  and got it for 500. Sportsman guide.. Now I have a flasher and vertical bar graph  and side graph. Should have it tomorrow.. :thumbsup: :icefish:

Congrats.  Sounds like a great deal also.

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2015, 05:23 AM »
yup, the lx6 is the ticket! or bigger.
i just sent my lx7 to have it upgraded into the lx9 and i am also excited. i hope it works where i fish okay.
they give you another 2 years warranty when you do that because they change it all out.
the lx5 is analog, if you could swap it out while its new and unused, it would be nicer to get their digital series. the lx6 or bigger is digital. any thing under that is analog sorry to say. they should have used a different model name and not keep the same name and move the numbers up. it's misleading.

I wasn't mislead at all actually.  After we exchanged messages before I really looked into motor issues and digital vs. analog.  New technology does not get me all excited.  I don't even own a smartphone nor do I care to.  I was going to buy a Vx-1, but I fish for White Perch a lot.  I learned from my fish finder I bought this summer that 2.5" target separation will make you miss bottom hugging fish.  I considered the Lx-6 but it had the same target separation as the Lx-5i.  I did not care about different graphs or different colors or whatever else is with it.  I wanted the best flasher I could get and stay well under $500.  Mission accomplished in my opinion.

Thanks for your help though.  You know a lot about flasher technology.     

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2015, 06:40 AM »
ff, you will love your new  toy! I'm sure it will up your game as well. Enjoy, be safe!
I fish.                                                         

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.