Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Walleye fishing at the Iowa Great Lakes.  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Walleye fishing at the Iowa Great Lakes.
« on: Nov 15, 2015, 09:35 PM »
I don't live very far from the IGL. I fish it a ew times a year.

Over the years, I've had luck with perch, blue gill, crappie, and yellow bass. However, I've never really ever had much luck for walleye.

Is it just me or are the walleye really that hard to find and catch?

I mean everywhere else I go walleye aren't that hard. The IGL just seems to have my number.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Walleye fishing at the Iowa Great Lakes.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2015, 10:13 AM »
For Big Spirit I seem to get most my eyes over here after dark.  If your not a nightowl you should be.  Get their attention with something big and flashy/loud.  Then seal the deal with just a simple hook splitshot and fathead.  A often overlooked presentation is just laying a jig and minnow on the bottom and using your bobber as a strike indicator. 9-12 fow early on in the year beings that's what the weedlines usually run.  Late December it is key to find the hard to soft transitions 16-18 foot range they seem to just cruise the transitions.  Getting out in the boat and mapping rock piles that aren't on your chip is key also.  Hopefully that helped a little.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2015, 09:41 PM »
For Big Spirit I seem to get most my eyes over here after dark.  If your not a nightowl you should be.  Get their attention with something big and flashy/loud.  Then seal the deal with just a simple hook splitshot and fathead.  A often overlooked presentation is just laying a jig and minnow on the bottom and using your bobber as a strike indicator. 9-12 fow early on in the year beings that's what the weedlines usually run.  Late December it is key to find the hard to soft transitions 16-18 foot range they seem to just cruise the transitions.  Getting out in the boat and mapping rock piles that aren't on your chip is key also.  Hopefully that helped a little.

So is that the ticket.....fishing at night for them? Guess it makes sense since the water is so clear over there. That and I usually get off the lake before dark.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2015, 06:41 PM »
So does any glow colors work better?

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2015, 12:26 PM »
So does any glow colors work better?
I haven't seen any big difference using UV jigs, but that's just my personal experience in the area. Like crappie buster said, those first couple hours of nightfall seem to turn the bite on. Minnow head on a buckshot rattle spoon next to a minnow on my deadstick was a good combo last year. Big Spirit should be great this year for eyes.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2015, 11:29 AM »
So how many walleye being caught would you say the average night/outing would be on an outing.

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2015, 09:12 AM »
I will tell you from personal experience fishing with both of these other guys that yes nighttime is spot on. Caught a decent eye last year with crappie buster on a gold tungsten jig with a waxie while there was a dead stick rod rigged with a minnow right next to it. Go figure
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.