Author Topic: Any one try for carp through the ice  (Read 801 times)

Offline Joelrz

• IceShanty Rookie
Any one try for carp through the ice
« on: Nov 15, 2015, 05:29 PM »
I I have read some articles about catching cap through the ice any one done it I think if you were to get into them through the ice it would be a dam good fight I like have on my line

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Any one try for carp through the ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2015, 05:32 PM »
Never tried for them

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2015, 05:57 PM »
At a local sandpit while trying to catch panfish i routinely hook to them using small jigs, have to try to stay in fairly deep water or thats all youll catch, and one right after another, usually between 10-30 lbs... and on 2lb test and a noodle rod.. it takes from sunup till noon just to get 4 on the ice..... one heck of a fight on that gear.. fun but frustrating. If the ice is clear where your at when you have one on youll seem them start belly rolling under the ice all around you.

Offline lm26sk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Subie life!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2015, 07:23 PM »
Find shallow spot , bait it prior your fishing day .
For more info you can Pm me anytime

Offline Joelrz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2015, 09:48 PM »
Thanks for the  input guys 

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2015, 09:48 AM »
<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<

<<<<<<<

Can't honestly say I target them....but they are FUN to catch!!

Paul

Offline derek_buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2015, 09:58 AM »
In a gravel pit I fish, I see a lot of carp on the camera along steep drop-offs. They usually move through in schools of 3-5 fish.  I have never targeted carp through the ice, but that would be a fun fight

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2015, 10:19 AM »
don't target them but have landed big one once on the coldest day I ever ice fished on 1 pound line memory forever

Offline lm26sk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Subie life!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2015, 04:55 PM »
They are sure fun to catch , never had any in winter but over summer they put up big fight

Offline dmiller369

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2015, 12:07 PM »
Ok fish story... 2 years ago I tail hooked a big old carp. I had 2lb test and a small tear drop jig on. I also had a 10 inch hole drilled. At first I thought I snagged the bottom untill my reel started screaming. Because this was my pan fish rod my drag was barley set. I started gripping the bail to add enough resistance but not enough to break the like. It was freezing cold. The wind was whipping and after about 30 of fighting this carp I finally saw it. It swam by the hole a few time before I was able to get ahold of its tail. The tail fanned out was well over 12 inches. I gripped the tail and tried pulling the fish through my ten inch hole....no dice. We let the carp back down into the hole and started drilling another hole right next to my current hole so we could get the fish out....well when drilling the second hole the fish kicked and the line went towards the auger and sure enough cut my mono line like braid. Butter. Gone.

Idk how big the carp would have been. I'm not a carp fisherman but the guys I was with said 40-50lbs. It was absolutly gigantic and one of my favorite fights off all time cause I was using such underpowered gear.

Offline lm26sk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Subie life!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2015, 06:44 PM »
Nice story buddy

They can get pretty fat and 10inch hole wont be much of space to get them out from . 40-50lb carp is 1000% no fit!! 
My biggest  42lb was sure more then 10 inches top to bottom not considering side to side.,friends 56lb was true monster !
FOr any sizes id make sure to have big hole cut out !

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2015, 06:47 PM »

Looks like fun I found some videos that made me want to bait some holes in the am and check back in the evening when I was leaving.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.