Author Topic: Which auger to buy  (Read 2538 times)

Offline 43.69375-97.188485

• IceShanty Rookie
Which auger to buy
« on: Nov 15, 2015, 12:40 PM »
I am trying to decide between the Jiffy Pro 4 propane and the Strikemaster Lazer Pro Ice. Any experience with either would be helpful.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
Re: Which auger to buy
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2015, 01:10 PM »
If I were starting out fresh I would go electric and get an Ion. But since that wasn't on your list I would go for the SM Lazer. I have one of the old 4 blade Lazer 224s and it is a beast for 2hp. I don't know anything about the propanes except that they are heavy.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline chrispeters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2015, 02:28 PM »
I just bought the jiffy pro 4 8" for this year. All the reviews I have read are 50/50 it starts great in the shop but I have no experience with it yet. The machine is very quiet so that's good. It does sound like everything is going battery or propane. I am looking forward to it. I just wanted something easy for my wife to start. 

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2015, 05:45 PM »
I think I am going to buy the strikemaster.  I have read too many bad reviews on the jiffy.  I am not convinced the batteries will hold up on an electric. I have too many battery power tools that don't hold a charge very well in the cold.  I think if I am going to drill a lot of holes the 3 horse engine and being 8 pounds lighter gives a big advantage to the strikemaster over the jiffy. Even if I have to mix gas and carry a gas can. Thanks for the help.

Offline alanderson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2015, 07:41 PM »
I purchased a Strikemaster from Cabelas last year,took it to dry lake on a trip when it was well below zero,what a piece of junk,got back,took it to Cabelas and demanded an exchange,fortunately they were out of that model,exchanged for a Jiffy 4 propane with a 10" auger and love it.Next trip up the ice was almost 2',i drilled almost 90 holes that weekend and never ran through a tank,and it starts first pull every time,i was really impressed with how fast it was.

Offline Slabsticker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2015, 08:06 PM »
In my opinion, a lot of the "big" names in ice fishing have gotten way too commercial and have lost a great deal quality because of it. Jiffy is no exception to this, a lot of their newer stuff is junk. However, they really pulled out the big dogs for their LP auger. They have experienced some issues that are pretty much all related to the regulator. Either you get a good one or a bad one. If you buy at Scheels they are good to work with, in the event you get a bad one they will exchange no questions.

Jiffy LP augers that are not experiencing regulator issues are truly amazing machines, start on one pull most times and three at the VERY most. They drill like crazy and use very little LP.

My vote.... Roll the bones and try the jiffy!

PS. Can't WAIT for ice! Not even skif yet in Nebraska.

Offline derek_buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2015, 08:36 AM »
One tip with the propane augers that I use when it is really cold is to keep the tank in my warm shack or pickup until I am ready to drill, and then it starts on the first pull.  When the tank is out in -20 weather the propane gets too cold and wont start the auger.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2015, 06:20 PM »
I purchased a Strikemaster from Cabelas last year,took it to dry lake on a trip when it was well below zero,what a piece of junk,got back,took it to Cabelas and demanded an exchange,fortunately they were out of that model,exchanged for a Jiffy 4 propane with a 10" auger and love it.Next trip up the ice was almost 2',i drilled almost 90 holes that weekend and never ran through a tank,and it starts first pull every time,i was really impressed with how fast it was.

Which strikemaster did you buy? 

Offline zip7111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2015, 06:25 PM »
I bought a Lazer PRO back in 2011 and it has been the best auger I have ever used.  I have drilled 1000's of holes with this thing, and love having the extra power for thicker ice.  For the money I dont think there is a faster auger on the market.

Offline dgesinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2015, 06:29 PM »
I have a 3hp solo sm. I love it.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2015, 07:00 PM »
I have a jiffy pro 4 and have never had to pull the rope more than 2 times to start it they are a bit heavy but its no big deal for me propane is way better than the stinky gas as far as the electric augers there not for me I don't need to spend that kind of money on a drill for them to come out with a new model every year that people claim to be the best I'll stick with my jiffy till the end and then my son will have it you won't do that with a battery operated drill

Offline mickmickl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2015, 07:33 PM »
My buddy has a newer 2 stroke jiffy and it has power for days and cuts nice, my only complaint is when it gets real cold out if you get the throttle cable wet it freezes. The good news is it freezes wide open so you can still use it but it is a little annoying.

Offline SDwalters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2015, 02:35 PM »
Jiffy pro4 propane hands down

Offline snotslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2015, 09:18 PM »
I bought a new strikemaster a few years back 3hp 10 in with the solo engine. It is hands down the fastest cutting  auger I've ever seen. My buddy bought a new 3hp 9 in jiffy and I had 2 holes before he had 1. I will say the new propane jiffy is a very nice auger. If it's extremely cold u have to have a bottle blanket on your propane. If the had the propane out when I bought my auger I probably would of went with it.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2015, 05:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone I decided to buy the strikemaster.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2015, 05:25 PM »
When Tecumseh closed it's doors it left everyone scrambling to find a good motor. They all went through a tough start. Just picked up a strikemaster laser.at Reeds for a great price. I still have my 15 year old white lightning but have had fits with ethanol in it. Figured I'd get a machine engineered to run it.

Offline icefishersd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2015, 06:45 PM »
I vote for jiffy pro 4. nothing beats propane in my opinion but that's just my two cents

Offline walleyefanatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2015, 04:23 PM »
I currently have a Jiffy STX Pro but my next auger would be an electric as there is no smoke or noise from the engine.  Buddy has the Ice Gator and it eats ice.

Offline gunnerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2015, 09:34 PM »
I currently have a Jiffy STX Pro but my next auger would be an electric as there is no smoke or noise from the engine.  Buddy has the Ice Gator and it eats ice.

I have both of these augers and am currently looking to sell the Jiffy.  Ice gator w/ nils and Tanaka w/ nils if going to drill a ton of holes.
Gunnerdog

Offline erfman23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2015, 11:10 AM »
I Purchased a lazer pro in 2013, I spend around 75 days on the ice each winter and drill hundreds of holes each season the auger is light and extremely fast drilling. I havn't owned a jiffy but I have used the propane a few times in my buddies hard house and it works well but no where near the speed of the lazer pro and it a little heavier. As far as reliability my strike master has never had a single issue. If your mobile and like to drill go strike master.

Offline tysontia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2015, 02:41 PM »
I have the Jiffy 60i..........cheaper 2 stroke.  My buddy was mad because I can drill holes twice as fast as his strike master which was twice the price.  I would stay away from battery powered units.........pain in the arse when battery life is an issue and replacing batteries is expensive. 

Offline steelheadman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2015, 02:45 PM »
I just bought the 8 inch ion electric auger hoping to try it out this year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.