The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Ridgid brushless is here  (Read 2890 times)

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
Ridgid brushless is here
« on: Nov 15, 2015, 09:15 AM »
After a great start with my ridgid x4 as an auger it soon turned to trouble. And I ended up returning two of them. I'm glad I made the decision to sit on a gift card because the new x5 brushless is here. Can't wait to try it. Still has lifetime warranty

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ridgid brushless is here
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2015, 09:35 AM »
Whats the MSRP on that puppy?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2015, 09:37 AM »
Nice, if I wear out my Rigid, I plan on upgrading!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2015, 09:53 AM »

Offline todalake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2015, 10:26 AM »
I got the earlier Gen5 with 780# torque.   Not brush-less tho or compact.     Did have drill, impact driver,  circular saw,   reciprocating saw,  light,   case, 2 batteries,  charger for $399.      Which is better deal?    Both are lifetime warranty.    And of course new Milwaukee is out with 1200# torque for about same price as Ridgid.   
Clam Base Camp Thermal
Clam Legend Thermal
Nils 6" Lazer 5" & 7"
Ridgid 1300#
Clam Plate/extension

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2015, 10:56 AM »
i went ridged for LSA originally on the x4 never even got to use the LSA as both units i bought were junk within 60 days so I was given store credit. the brushless is what makes me want to give it another shot

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2015, 11:37 AM »
i went ridged for LSA originally on the x4 never even got to use the LSA as both units i bought were junk within 60 days so I was given store credit. the brushless is what makes me want to give it another shot

U were using an 8" auger correct?
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2015, 12:07 PM »
the first drill yes, second drill only a 6 and was junk first time out. after fishing from 8" vs 6" im after the bigger hole wether this will do it or not...even if I have to hand drill, I still needed a power drill for home

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2015, 01:21 PM »
Ok, just wanted to give u the heads up that I havent heard of a drill that can handle an 8" auger for an entire season.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2015, 06:16 PM »
Here ya go Will.  This puppy could handle a 10" auger.

It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2015, 06:35 PM »
If you buy the Rigid brushless online at homedepot.com you can get $100 in instant savings on some select items.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2015, 06:52 AM »

I have no doubt that the Milwaukee drill are better, i just dont like the warranty. And since i only us a 6" auger, the rigid will do just fine. Over 1000 holes with it so far.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2015, 07:19 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Why is it that when I look at this drill and the idea of attaching and auger bit to it, it makes me think of the old Jiffy one armed bandits and the thousands (literally) of fingers, wrist, arms and even legs they broke.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2015, 10:07 AM »
Well it is a good thing that there is the "Clam" for those that are more comfortable with more to hold on to...

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2015, 04:25 PM »
If you buy the Rigid brushless online at homedepot.com you can get $100 in instant savings on some select items.

That price ($279) is for the hammer drill and the impact driver with (2) 4AH batteries that come with a lifetime service guarantee and a $100 gift card that can be used on future Ridgid purchases. Most buyers immediately redeem the $100 card for a 5AH battery ($99, only a 3 year warrantee).
Good tool, outstanding price.
Last month Milwaukee had a $100 instant rebate on their new hammer drill, impact driver, (2) 5AH batteries and some on-line dealers added a 4AH battery. Problem was it was offered only in north central USA. Home Depot knew nothing about the $100 rebate. Their deal was no rebate but a free
$80 light.
CAVEAT EMPTOR
Leave Some For Seed

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2015, 05:00 PM »
That price ($279) is for the hammer drill and the impact driver with (2) 4AH batteries that come with a lifetime service guarantee and a $100 gift card that can be used on future Ridgid purchases. Most buyers immediately redeem the $100 card for a 5AH battery ($99, only a 3 year warrantee).
Good tool, outstanding price.
Last month Milwaukee had a $100 instant rebate on their new hammer drill, impact driver, (2) 5AH batteries and some on-line dealers added a 4AH battery. Problem was it was offered only in north central USA. Home Depot knew nothing about the $100 rebate. Their deal was no rebate but a free
$80 light.
CAVEAT EMPTOR

On their website it says both items must be placed in the cart for the savings. Or are they also doing a $100 gift card with in store purchase?

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2015, 07:48 AM »
Every year is the great drill auger / hole size / debate. Buy the jiffy propane and just go fish with it. :-)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2015, 08:29 AM »
Millbillyman, How many times heavier is the propane auger compared to a drill set up? How much louder is it? How much more does it smell? Do you use it to drill holes in the off season or maybe you don't mind investing a bunch of money that goes unused most of the year? When and if the power plant won't run, can you use it to cut by hand? If the Jiffy Propane works for you great, but for many of us, for those reasons and more, it would not.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2015, 12:07 PM »
Alan I sense that Keith's comment is tounge in cheek.  I got to say though there is a funny trend of drill auger owners being quite sensitive in defending such a choice....

Personally I like using the correct tool for a job.  I dont try to use my saab as a snowplow and I am not going to try to make a drill into an auger...just my .02 (I did drill a few hundred holes with my buddy's drill auger last year and it worked, just not as well as my nils  @) )

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2015, 12:21 PM »
Alan I sense that Keith's comment is tounge in cheek.  I got to say though there is a funny trend of drill auger owners being quite sensitive in defending such a choice....

This is no different than power auger guys bashing us for choosing to use our drill as a power auger. For me I have an injured shoulder so I can't drill a lot of holes by hand. I tried using my dads jiffy auger once but that thing was more trouble that it was worth. With my drill as a power auger I can use my 5" auger when chasing panfish and swap it out with my 7" auger when after walleyes, pike, and lake trout.

Personally I don't care how someone decides to drill a hole through the ice. Bottom line is we are all doing what we love and that is ice fishing.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2015, 01:10 PM »
Personally I like using the correct tool for a job.  I dont try to use my saab as a snowplow and I am no going to try to make a drill into an auger...just my .02 (I did drill a few hundred holes with my buddy's drill auger last year and it worked, just not as well as my nils  @) )

Well if you put a 4' plow on it... 😜
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2015, 01:50 PM »
Well if you put a 4' plow on it... 😜

I have enough hp to push a 9' blade Ed but again....doesn't mean thats the way to be....

Also I agree about being indifferent about what others choose for augers but having a laugh about drill auger owners flailing to defend there choice of hole creation device is a good way to spend some bathroom time at work.

Offline CRS02019

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2015, 02:06 PM »
I have a 6" Nils and an 8" Nils hand augers and that's all I need. I generally make 5-10 holes a day with either one and as we seldom have more than 2ft of ice it's quite manageable. The 6" is so easy the work is almost not enough to warm me up:-)
But to each their own, my way just works out for me. If I was jigging and making 20-30 holes a day, maybe I would have to rethink my approach:-)
I've seen folks get through the ice using a chisel, ax, hand saw, chain saw, drill, $1000 state of the art gas auger and anything in between. Have fun, get a line wet and happy fishing:-)

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2015, 02:28 PM »
i honestly would hand drill before i dropped $400 on an auger that i have no room in my seld for. I decided to try the drill set up because i needed a drill anyways...i turn 30 next month so ive got plenty of and drilling years if needed  ;D

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2015, 04:00 PM »
I agree there is a great deal of back and forth (clam plates comes to mind) about our tools that we use... The power of the newer drills when used properly is amazing, as to them not being the right tool for the job... They are Drills, made to cut holes with spinning bits/augers... If you don't put to large a bit on the drill, they cut great, whether it was wood, plastic, steel or even ice. I am frugal (some may say cheap), having a tool that can do many jobs, is something I like. And I do fall in the many holes group, 30+ hole is a light day. I use to own a gas powered auger and the best day I ever had with it was the day I sold it. Ed may have been kidding around about all of us getting a Propane auger, but if I won one, it would be on Ebay the next day...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Nov 18, 2015, 06:51 PM »
Alan if drills were the right tool, they'd be"the tool" for drilling holes in ice.  Period.  They would be everywhere and would over take the market for gas augers.

While I am sure some share your opinions, there are millions that do not, the auger market is large and still has room for growth, drills may have some place but its limited at this point.  The reason there is such a vast gas and propane auger market is because millions of people disagree with your affirmations as to why you don't own one!  The day drill augers outsell gas augers I will agree with you...however I think we'll both be worm food by then. 

Offline mag minnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 18, 2015, 06:58 PM »

Eerily similar to the Surfcasters Van Staal vs ZeeBaas reel debate. btw...I'm a ZeeBaas guy.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2015, 07:04 PM »
Ahhh Keith is the propane auger guy.  I am still a gas guy myself. 

John why not put a plow on your Saab if it can do it then it must be the right vehicle.  No one ever said that a plow has to go on a truck.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2015, 07:09 PM »
Ahhh Keith is the propane auger guy.  I am still a gas guy myself. 

John why not put a plow on your Saab if it can do it then it must be the right vehicle.  No one ever said that a plow has to go on a truck.

Ed your right, lets do this! 

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 18, 2015, 07:22 PM »
i feel like ive been completley unbiased on the product and puposely put it to the test knowing i was covered. now with the upgraded brushless i will do the same thing and see what happens this year.I am not going to complain and say the drill is junk if it fails just wont be and auger anymore, go back to being a drill...lets face it, if it cant drill even an 8" hole its not superior by any means. ya 6" may work 90% of time around here but there are some serious fisheries  out there. you would never waste time with a 6" hole hunting trophy pike you would go gas/propane every time so you can get 8-10" hole. plus tending freeze over on a 6" vs an 8+ is way more difficult

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.