The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: 10 and 10 Challenge  (Read 5305 times)

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 10 and 10 Challenge
« Reply #30 on: Nov 19, 2015, 05:36 AM »
Thats why I built 2 smaller, lightweight shacks. (and plan on putting a 3rd together) Just big enough to get out of the cold.  I can drag the littlest one all over Maine with little effort, and have put on a bunch of miles on both of them.

Never even put my 4x8 out last year.

My buddy bought a cheap portable last year.  I was impressed with how easy it was to set up.  Pretty warm also.  Makes it easy to move.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #31 on: Nov 19, 2015, 07:15 AM »
I picked up a Frabill “Fish-o-Flage” Ambush Outpost late last season. Got it for a little over half price.

Says two man, but 3 would be doable, pretty much 6’x6'.
27#, heavy duty zipper four clear view removable windows MaxVent system adjusts for optimal venting reflective piping on all four sides includes transport bag includes anchor kit dimensions: set-up: 70" (l) x 70" (w) x 80" (h) folded: 50" (l) x 8" (w) x 8"   

Haven’t used it yet. Looking forward to putting it right on top of em!  :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #32 on: Nov 19, 2015, 04:30 PM »
This is my portable
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #33 on: Nov 19, 2015, 04:51 PM »
This is my portable

HUNH! Looks like operator error, on a few levels.  ;D
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 19, 2015, 04:57 PM »
I'm definitely thinking about doing this is a goal this year!
My target species would be: Walleye, Perch, Pike, SM Bass, LM Bass, Rainbow Trout, Crappie, Bluegill, White Bass, and Bullhead
Last season I didn't get out near as much as I wanted, but still managed to hit 10 different bodies of water, but I only targeted perch, walleyes and SM bass. I did also catch some Pike and a few bullheads. But hopefully we have good ice and the weather is good enough to do more fishing this year, and I think it's definitely doable!

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Nov 19, 2015, 05:02 PM »
This is my portable

I like the simplicity. ;D  That looks like a really tough day on the ice.  Hope you caught some.

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 19, 2015, 05:04 PM »
I picked up a Frabill “Fish-o-Flage” Ambush Outpost late last season. Got it for a little over half price.

Says two man, but 3 would be doable, pretty much 6’x6'.
27#, heavy duty zipper four clear view removable windows MaxVent system adjusts for optimal venting reflective piping on all four sides includes transport bag includes anchor kit dimensions: set-up: 70" (l) x 70" (w) x 80" (h) folded: 50" (l) x 8" (w) x 8"   

Haven’t used it yet. Looking forward to putting it right on top of em!  :icefish:

That's the same one my buddy bought last year.  Pretty decent rig.

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #37 on: Nov 19, 2015, 05:32 PM »
  I like the simplicity. ;D  That looks like a really tough day on the ice.  Hope you caught some.

a few nice perch, it was that icy, sleet mix and coming down fast. So I threw that shelter together. It was nice and toasty!

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Nov 19, 2015, 05:50 PM »
The new flying eye pack basket looks great on the ice... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #39 on: Nov 19, 2015, 05:56 PM »
The new flying eye pack basket looks great on the ice... ;D
That's the old one, 2011 pic. I haven't pulled the trigger on my new pack yet.  ;D

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 19, 2015, 07:31 PM »
I'm definitely thinking about doing this is a goal this year!
My target species would be: Walleye, Perch, Pike, SM Bass, LM Bass, Rainbow Trout, Crappie, Bluegill, White Bass, and Bullhead
Last season I didn't get out near as much as I wanted, but still managed to hit 10 different bodies of water, but I only targeted perch, walleyes and SM bass. I did also catch some Pike and a few bullheads. But hopefully we have good ice and the weather is good enough to do more fishing this year, and I think it's definitely doable!

Hell yeah its doable!

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 10, 2015, 01:53 AM »
I like the idea....not sure how I stacked up last year. 10 bodies of water. Hopkins, minnihonk, worthless worthley, empty embden, Norcross, echo my most hated lake, deering,  long belgrade, hopper, kezar, webb, moose, moose hill, schoodic, parker. Fish: splake, brook trout,  salmon , pike, pickerel, small an large mouth bass , rainbow, perch. One off from 10....never the less pretty cool idea. Pike an rainbow were the only 2 species I targeted that were out of the norm. 5 different lakes I want to fish this year.... spring lake , pleasant, sabbattus , north pond, Norway. January an February  I will be targeting cold water species March I will change to pike an bass.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 10, 2016, 11:18 AM »
Well, planning is almost finished for this winters 10 and 10.

Just need good ice and Im ready to roll!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 10, 2016, 12:10 PM »
ive definately hit 10 species a couple seasons no prob, 10 different bodies prob have done that a couple times as well... catching every lake species Maine has to offer in one year, now thats something only a few can do, mostly because the elusive white fish can only be had in a few places...

but a very doable list for most places, YP,WP, brown trout, brook trout, salmon, togue, sm bass, lg bass, pickeral, pike... sunfish can easily be had , crappie (although ive never caught one in maine ) cusk, rainbow trout, splake

thats  15 species right there you can definatley accomplish in southern maine no problem if you put ur mind to it.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 10, 2016, 03:30 PM »
ive definately hit 10 species a couple seasons no prob, 10 different bodies prob have done that a couple times as well... catching every lake species Maine has to offer in one year, now thats something only a few can do, mostly because the elusive white fish can only be had in a few places...

but a very doable list for most places, YP,WP, brown trout, brook trout, salmon, togue, sm bass, lg bass, pickeral, pike... sunfish can easily be had , crappie (although ive never caught one in maine ) cusk, rainbow trout, splake

thats  15 species right there you can definatley accomplish in southern maine no problem if you put ur mind to it.

Yep, all it takes is persistance and good map reading. (and extra $$$)

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 19, 2019, 09:12 PM »
Well I didnt get out much yet, but I got rainbow and yellow perch off the list.

2 lake, 2 species.

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 20, 2019, 11:01 AM »
If you fish Echo you could add Cusk to your list.

There are multiple Echo Lakes in Maine. The one on Mt. Desert Island has no cusk.

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 20, 2019, 04:35 PM »

I challenge you to do that topless!  Ha!  I have got 10 species in a season, but not sure of 10 different bodies of water.  White perch, yellow perch, smelt, salmon, brown trout, brook trout, sm bass, lm bass, pickerel and pike
  better cover up  looks like  you are getting sunburn  nipples

Offline MadSledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:07 PM »
Thats Great! I never set a formal goal, but I always try and pick a few new waters, and a new person or two to take out with me every year. This year I have a trip to Ross Lake, and probably Baker Lake scheduled. I don't keep track of total species count but usually try to push myself to either try a new species or new technique each year. Last year was a big rut year for me, don't think I did anything new and I felt like I really kinda wasted a good year with plenty of time to get out .

A few years back my friends and I were losing way too many cripples while duck hunting. We lost more than we brought home the first half of the season (lot of cattail swamps with no dog). So the next year I set a goal: lose 5 cripples and the shotgun gets put away and the season is over. I lost 3 cripples in the first two hunts that year. That got me focusing! Only lost one more the next 20 hunts, and I haven't lost more than 4 in year since!

Enjoying time outdoors is great but setting goals and working on something while you are out there can be very rewarding as well.
Gotta Fishem' All!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 25, 2019, 02:14 PM »
Thats Great! I never set a formal goal, but I always try and pick a few new waters, and a new person or two to take out with me every year. This year I have a trip to Ross Lake, and probably Baker Lake scheduled. I don't keep track of total species count but usually try to push myself to either try a new species or new technique each year. Last year was a big rut year for me, don't think I did anything new and I felt like I really kinda wasted a good year with plenty of time to get out .

A few years back my friends and I were losing way too many cripples while duck hunting. We lost more than we brought home the first half of the season (lot of cattail swamps with no dog). So the next year I set a goal: lose 5 cripples and the shotgun gets put away and the season is over. I lost 3 cripples in the first two hunts that year. That got me focusing! Only lost one more the next 20 hunts, and I haven't lost more than 4 in year since!

Enjoying time outdoors is great but setting goals and working on something while you are out there can be very rewarding as well.
I didnt get out much at all last year while dealing with my wife leaving.

Now Im ready to hit the ice again. Should do me good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.