Author Topic: Cabelas to be bought out by Bass Pro Shops?  (Read 28255 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Cabelas to be bought out by Bass Pro Shops?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2015, 07:38 PM »
not good.

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2015, 07:41 PM »
not good.

Saw this earlier today. Couldn't agree more 3300. As an outdoor consumer, diversity is one of the few advantages we have... I love Cabela's, not a fan of Bass Pro prices to be brutally honest.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Basically eliminating the competition

Offline Just Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2015, 07:53 PM »
not good.
X2
Bass Pro is growing by leaps and bounds I guess, didn't they just buy a boat franchise a while back?

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2015, 07:55 PM »
I'm in Denver, we have 2 Cabelas and 1 Bass Pro in the metro area. It makes you wonder what would happen, if they did buy Cabelas.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2015, 08:10 PM »
Bass Pro may be too big to buy Cabelas. That would make me sad if true. Bass Pro is the last bastion of "tax free" internet purchases for me in this state. No BPS in Wisconsin but two (or is it 3) Cabelas locations.

I remember looking thru the first Cabelas catalogs in the mid 60's. They were "upstarts" vs. the high and mighty George L. Herter and company. Herter's is but a distant memory and Cabelas has thrived.

I also remember going into the original Bass Pro in Springfield sometime in the early 80's. Little more than a hole in the wall bait shop down off Table Rock. Bought a t-shirt that proclaimed: "Happiness is a 15 incher..." (the minimum size limit for bass in MO back then).

I wonder what's in store for the next 30 years......
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2015, 08:14 PM »
Big fish eat little fish. Who didn't know that?
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2015, 08:40 PM »
I'm not happy with this....we'll see what happens

Catchin' Fish

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Really hope it's not true. Been a Cabelas man my whole life
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2015, 09:03 PM »
I visited BP in Denver and asked a sells person about a vexilar, they said we don't deal with them anymore because they won't lower their price to us "we are the Walmart of sports stores" if company's don't lower there price we don't buy.  If that's things to come bye bye quality goods

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2015, 09:30 PM »
I'm from Nebraska, home of Cabelas. I quit them 25 years ago. I can buy a golf club or a kite 24/7/365, but try to buy a crankbait that isn't a Rapala, or anything not labeled Lindy. In the Omaha store there are less than a dozen pegs with micro plastics (two companies, three shapes, glow and not glow). I can go to WalMart or even a local gas station and get a better selection of jigs

Cabelas of yore has been gone for a long time now.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2015, 09:44 PM »
I'm less and less impressed with both cabela's and bass pro every year. ::)

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2015, 09:48 PM »
Never been quite happy with either to be honest. Low grade imported goods in my opinion. Sure they carry some nice things but personally I'd rather spend my money with the little guys.
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2015, 09:59 PM »
That's the story of life in America..... big stores gobbling up little "mom & pop" stores, then socking it to the consumer price-wise.  Happening right now in NY..........  one of the last big-store food chains (Waldbaums/Pathmark/ A&P)  closing up all their stores....taken over by Stop & Shop!!  Here comes the 5% or more increase in food prices!!

I give my business to the small local markets / fishing tackle shops - WHEN THEY STILL EXIST !!!

Offline Beerslushy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2015, 10:04 PM »
Yup, it's the walmartization of this country.  Buy the cheapest crap possible and when it breaks, replace it with more cheap crap.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2015, 10:21 PM »
A lot of my stuff is Made In USA, by guess who ?   ME. ;D
Bud

Offline jayfk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2015, 11:48 PM »
I hope this was all a ploy by Cabelas to get an increased stock price.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2015, 03:18 AM »
Wow!! This news has me wondering what will happen with the store Cabelas is building in my area. The store is supposed to open in the spring of 2016 . I have a Gander Mountain in my area which was remodeled last year now it carries a lot more clothing and gift items. Like IceBalls try to buy local as often as possible.
Steve

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2015, 04:15 AM »
And they just got done building a new store in town...a smaller store.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 2015, 05:46 AM »
I prefer BPS over Cabelas personally. But could careless either way. 9 times out of 10 you can find what u need online for alot less. If you have something like an Amazon Prime membership, shipping is free and its at your door in 2 days, even deliver on sundays.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 2015, 06:53 AM »
I prefer Sportsmans Warehouse. The people are a lot more friendly and their prices are the best. Only things I bought at Cableas in the last 2 years was discounted in the Bargain cave.  Their prices have always been too high. That is why Bass Pro wants them.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2015, 07:19 AM »
just got to thinking (dangerous i know), so there goes any cabelas warranty, if the name goes away. i bought a pair of inferno boots with a lifetime warranty (big joke on me, they have an life expectancy, but won't say for how long) that they will loose more suckers on. saying to them these carry a lifetime warranty, buy them and not saying they are going out of business. they claimed the boots are water proof, but i get wet feet every time i ice fish and have to dry them. water comes down the fabric tongue from making ice holes.

there are a few situations that might happen, one is it all stays the same and just has new owners like foot ball teams do and marcum being sold to rapala or it changes names and sells cabelas and bps items or just bps items. i wouldn't think they'd close the doors. kmart was bought by sears and its still just kamrt, so that's my hunch, it will stay the same for the consumer. there are too many items with cabela names on them.

the report said cabela only makes just over 1 billion dollars where as bps makes just over 15 billion, so why doesn't bps sponsor here is another question.

cabeals just built a new store in the center of lower michigan too not long ago.

i also shop online, because its much easier than dealing with poor drivers and bad staff (being ignored or "sorry it's not my department" or "i don't know, i just work here" if you find a person and hunt them down) at the stores. it takes the human factor out of it all and you can pick your best price from sales and shipping costs, but cabelas and bps sell online and know the value of those sales as do all the other major stores. my buddies store makes most of his money to online sales.
a dirty trick cabeals pulls is their sales. they will honor their own online sales, but not advertise them in store. if you shop online and go to buy it in store you have to make them honor the prices. it just makes it much harder to shop their brick and mortar stores.

being bought out shouldn't change any thing except new owners and maybe higher prices so when we shop cabelas, we know the prices will probably be higher and we know to shop other sites, like always. its just soon there will be less shops to get nice prices and deals.

i wanted a nice goretex rain suit and drove there to get one, it was on sale. it didn't matter when i left, i just wanted a nice suit for rain.  i asked the salesman why the prices are so high on the other items and he said "we are the largest out fitters, not the best priced out fitters".

overtons and gander mountain are the same owners. milwaukee and ridgid and ryobe are the same parent company.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2015, 08:03 AM »
Cabela's also advertises sales like Shoes/Boots and when you get to the store they say sorry we only had a few of those and they are all gone. My buddy who used to be a Cabela's guy now doesn't like them because of their advertised sales.
<===Lefty===

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 06, 2015, 08:24 AM »
It's happened many times over the last 100 years. Big business grows, and the consumer gets the sharp end of the stick. Now, we have many online retailers. Many of the ones I use are sponsors of this great site. That being said. I generally went to bass pro. Only because of the fish tank basically!!! What is going to hurt is,the job losses and what ever variety of brands that were left. Long live the mom and pops shops.
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 06, 2015, 09:30 AM »
I used to get Christmas cards from Dick and Jim Cabela thanking me for keeping the economy of southwest Nebraska humming through the lean years. Not so much recently. The customer service has always been good but the quality of some product lines is frankly poor. I guess that would also apply to Bass Pro and the other big retailers as well. They make a certain margin on the sell side and then squeeze as much profit as possible out of the buy side. Quality comes in at third place, reputation fourth. These big buyouts never work out like the bean counters imagine they will. Whatever "synergies" they hope to achieve in combining purchasing, HR, and accounting are offset by loss of good will and brand loyalty. The local "boutique" specialty shops that know their specific markets  will stand to gain business. The internet shops that don't carry the brick and mortar overhead will also slide in to take market share. No need to worry. These things arrange themselves.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2015, 10:46 AM »
I'm very much against these type of mergers but they are a fact of life.  I liked Cabelas much better when they didn't brand products with their own brand--same with Bass Pro.  If I purchase something, whether a rod, reel, boots, clothes, etc, I want to know who the manufacturer is.  Bass Pro and Cabelas don't manufacture anything.  I also think that Cabelas prices have really been going up the past number of years which caused me to switch to Bass Pro for the most part.  This may cause me to shop more at Sportsman's Warehouse, Gander and a few others.  Question is, how long before they get bought out.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Nov 06, 2015, 11:35 AM »
I purchase from both Cabelas and Bass Pro and have been happy with both for years.
I am lucky enough to know Johnny Morris personally and have talked to him regarding internet sales especially to Canada.
At the time their shopping experience to Canadian folks was sub-par IMO. I told him what I liked and didn't about dealing with his biggest competitor. With Cabelas you got the complete total with shipping, taxes etc. and BPS didn't. He agreed and changed his system to mimic Cabelas in that respect. I also told him I found it annoying that Cabelas offered free shipping a lot but never included Canada. He understood this and BPS offers free shipping often that includes Canada.

On top of listening to the consumer the dude is a heck of a nice guy!!!!   ;D

Offline MooseKnuckleVI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 06, 2015, 11:47 AM »
I live 15 minutes from the PA Cabelas. Great place if you want a hoodie or camo hat. Otherwise it sucks. Not impressed with them the past 4 or 5 years. Quality on cabelas branded items is terrible. Selection of fishing tackle is kinda lame considering how much stuff they have there. Clothings dept is ok.  I only shop there when I have gift cards to spend.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 06, 2015, 02:03 PM »
Trying to remember the sequence but, Cabelas' took over Herter's and basically destroyed a great line of products and attacked the original Gander Mountain catalog sales around the same time. Now it's their turn to be the target, BPS is fine for now. The Cabela's in Michigan is a great place to visit but don't go anymore, stuffs cheaper Online elsewhere and the quality is going noticeably down. Usually cheaper to order direct from the manufacturer and you are sure it's at least new stock

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.