Author Topic: What portable heater?  (Read 4972 times)

Offline ssduramax66

• Team IceShanty Regular
What portable heater?
« on: Nov 01, 2015, 01:13 PM »
Hey guys, welcome back from vacation ;) I can't wait for this season on the ice.  Anyways I purchased a clam xl2000 Bigfoot last year (floor size 90"x90") and I was looking for recommendations for a small portable heater.   Does anyone have any preferences? Do you typically have issues with melting using a heater in a portable hub shelter?  Thanks guys!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
Re: What portable heater?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2015, 05:47 PM »
Hey guys, welcome back from vacation ;) I can't wait for this season on the ice.  Anyways I purchased a clam xl2000 Bigfoot last year (floor size 90"x90") and I was looking for recommendations for a small portable heater.   Does anyone have any preferences? Do you typically have issues with melting using a heater in a portable hub shelter?  Thanks guys!

Mr. Heater
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2015, 06:59 PM »
I just use the same stove I use to cook my lunch as a heater.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2015, 08:26 PM »
I run a Big Buddy in my portable.  I also use the 2x2 foam interlocking floor mats.  It greatly helps keeping the heat in and the cold out.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2015, 06:22 AM »
Any one of the Mr. Heaters will work.  I have both the Big Buddy and the small one.  They have a Hunter model which has max. 12,000 btu's.  I run the small 9,000 btu model with my Shappell dx4000 which heats plenty.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2015, 06:35 AM »
i use a single burner propane cast stove with a piece of plywood under. It still melts the ice, so i move it around. also use a 2 burner coleman propane stove. Heat and cook.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2015, 08:09 AM »
I use a Portable Buddy by Mr. Heater with an 11lb propane tank and a 12' hose. Have a T fitting on the tank and have another hose that goes to a Coleman stove so I can run both at the same time. Seems like overkill but I can cook bacon and eggs at 6am on First CT in -20F temps and it's still t-shirt weather in my portable shanty!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2015, 08:33 AM »
We used to heat with the coleman stove, but now all we do is grill out on the ice, so we switched to the little buddy heater. Even at -15 and wind, its plenty warm.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2015, 08:49 AM »
My Mr. Heater Little Buddy suits me fine...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2015, 08:59 AM »
nice pic Bart....nothing like hot food on a frozen lake.

Offline ssduramax66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2015, 12:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll be going with a mr heater little buddy.

Offline ssduramax66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2015, 12:31 PM »
My Mr. Heater Little Buddy suits me fine...

Bart,
Is that a custom warming rack on the heater or did you buy that as an optional accessory?  I looked around but couldn't find one like that.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2015, 01:30 PM »
ssduramax66, I made the warming rack. I ordered a grill from Mr. Heater, modified it a little and drilled two holes. It fits into the holes and lays across the original grill that came with the heater.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2015, 01:56 PM »

Great Idea... and it looks great.

I did the same thing after seeing the picture, looked all over the Mr. Heater website and other retailers for a rack accessory...

I have a new heater this season (ok, got it last season and didn't get out ONCE!) - this will make a nice upgrade...

Thanks for the post and update...

Offline ssduramax66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2015, 03:55 PM »
ssduramax66, I made the warming rack. I ordered a grill from Mr. Heater, modified it a little and drilled two holes. It fits into the holes and lays across the original grill that came with the heater.

I looked and looked and figured it had to be home made.  Looks good I will be making that modification when I get my heater.  Thanks bart!

Offline ssduramax66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2015, 03:57 PM »
P.S.  looks like you got some action on the bottom on your flasher lol

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 09, 2015, 05:18 PM »
17 pages dedicated to cooking with a buddy heater, with a few different rack setups...
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=132730.0
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2015, 06:09 PM »
Here is the way I use my Big Buddy, It cost less than $5.00 and took less that 5 minutes to adapt.
Just buy a cooling rack form Wal*Mart kitchen dept and bend it in half, then wire it in your heater so it looks like this:

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2015, 12:53 PM »
x2 on heater buddy with addition of custom cook rack...i just went to walmart and bought a paint roller screen for like $1-2 give it a bend, done

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2015, 03:54 PM »
Icehole!  Nice design!  Aluminum too so its quick to cool.  My last buddy heater suffered from a melted handle after using my lasko scoop to rest a pan on.  Won't be doing that this year!

Offline ssduramax66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2015, 06:12 AM »
Thanks guys for the enthusiasm, can't wait to get my buddy heater and do some modifications!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 12, 2015, 10:11 AM »
Icehole!  Nice design!  Aluminum too so its quick to cool.  My last buddy heater suffered from a melted handle after using my lasko scoop to rest a pan on.  Won't be doing that this year!

Yeah, well also be careful with whatever pan you use. I was cooking some breakfast and left the bacon to sizzle away and next thing I know the wonderful smell of bacon was replaced by the horrible smell of burning plastic. The pan was directing too much heat towards the back and the handle. The best way to cook on a buddy is how people show exactly above- precooked food just heated up in an aluminum pan!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2015, 08:47 AM »
i really dont do so much cooking as I do reheating...i have a portable propane grill if I need to cook, but I try to keep my meals simple on the ice and the small loaf pans hold a belly full and I can perfectly fit two on the heater rack. nice thing with loaf pans, you can make something night before like my favorite mac and cheese. haul it in loaf pans, heat it in loaf pans, and eat it from loaf pans. with patience ive even reheated a big ol chunk of lasagna. game changer for eats on the ice

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2015, 06:44 PM »
Yeah, well also be careful with whatever pan you use. I was cooking some breakfast and left the bacon to sizzle away and next thing I know the wonderful smell of bacon was replaced by the horrible smell of burning plastic. The pan was directing too much heat towards the back and the handle. The best way to cook on a buddy is how people show exactly above- precooked food just heated up in an aluminum pan!

I have leftover exhaust wrap from my downpipe on the car I am going to use to protect the handle.  I do the precook thing most of the time but sure as hell won't ever pre cook eggs!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 16, 2015, 08:09 PM »
I have leftover exhaust wrap from my downpipe on the car I am going to use to protect the handle.  I do the precook thing most of the time but sure as hell won't ever pre cook eggs!

Oh hey, that's actually a great idea! I may do that as well, I think I have some exhaust wrap laying around.

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2015, 04:39 PM »
I have a Mr Buddy heater I have used one time. I then had a wood stove given to me. I am in Freedom.  Maybe we can trade something.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Nov 17, 2015, 07:29 PM »
Oh hey, that's actually a great idea! I may do that as well, I think I have some exhaust wrap laying around.

Ya I learned after totally destroying my handle! 

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 23, 2015, 12:30 PM »
Ya I learned after totally destroying my handle! 

Mine came close! Another 30 seconds and I would have had a meltdown I believe!

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #28 on: Nov 23, 2015, 04:23 PM »
For the guys using "stoves" to heat your shacks, be careful if you have an open flame for heat.  I'm no expert but I believe that open flame gives off a fair amount of carbon monoxide.  The "Mr. Heater" style heater tends to be a "ventless" heater that's why you see them used frequently in wheelhouses since you don't need to run a vent thru the wall/roof.  The issue I'm talking about is heating your shack with a camp stove, etc.  Those are the ones that shouldn't be used in a confined space for an extended period of time. 

Somebody that is smarter than me weigh in on this but I don't think you want to heat your shack with anything that has an open flame and is not vented. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 23, 2015, 04:32 PM »
anything that  burns propane will produce C O.  I have used a camp stove as well. I normally fish in the open but it was quite windy, so we put up the tent. That same wind made sure that CO was not a problem.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.