The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Gear upon Gear  (Read 2549 times)

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
Gear upon Gear
« on: Nov 01, 2015, 11:01 AM »
somthing about ice fishing gets me excited to pull out all my gear...Those that have seen my sled know I have plenty but still missing some key elements. One thing I am considering is a flasher. Used one, enjoyed one..not sure i NEED on. Considering just a Marcum Troller to help entertain me bewtween flags, not sure if I should just get a full size unit and if there is advantage. the next thing is ice cleats. Ive tried every type of cheap slip on cleat there is and they all break before long, and I have also tried the screw in boot method and i was tearing them out when they froze to the ice first trip out. so im torn between dropping 60-70 on katoohlas or picking up a few pairs of walmart cheapies. i need a self propelled jet sled too  :P

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
Re: Gear upon Gear
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2015, 12:00 PM »
When you pull the trigger on a self propelled jet sled, come see me....I happen to have a good source for them...

As for the flasher, what depth , water type are you fishing mostly? There is a HUGE difference between a "Cheap" model and a "Basic" Model. Get yourself the RIGHT model for your fishing environment and it will absolutely change the way you fish. I can tell you that once you master a flasher, you will ice way more fish jigging than you ever will with your other 4 lines!
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline throughtheroof

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2015, 12:23 PM »
korkers for cleats!! they "lace" onto your boot and are very durable- the ones im wearing are a hand me down from my pops, gotta be at least 20 years old, and we use them in the creeks during the salmon run.

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2015, 03:12 PM »
somthing about ice fishing gets me excited to pull out all my gear...Those that have seen my sled know I have plenty but still missing some key elements. One thing I am considering is a flasher. Used one, enjoyed one..not sure i NEED on. Considering just a Marcum Troller to help entertain me bewtween flags, not sure if I should just get a full size unit and if there is advantage. the next thing is ice cleats. Ive tried every type of cheap slip on cleat there is and they all break before long, and I have also tried the screw in boot method and i was tearing them out when they froze to the ice first trip out. so im torn between dropping 60-70 on katoohlas or picking up a few pairs of walmart cheapies. i need a self propelled jet sled too  :P

Matt,
         I will vouch for the fact that your sled ,when fully loaded,is like a mini-Portermart. As for the Marcum troller, I own one and it was a blast to use for as long as it lasted (about a year).I agree with Paul that you should base your choice on usage and not price. Looking forward to sharing the ice with you and Big boat Bob.   Manny
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2015, 03:53 PM »
Matt,
         I will vouch for the fact that your sled ,when fully loaded,is like a mini-Portermart. As for the Marcum troller, I own one and it was a blast to use for as long as it lasted (about a year).I agree with Paul that you should base your choice on usage and not price. Looking forward to sharing the ice with you and Big boat Bob.   Manny

Manny... we need to get the early ice crew together again this year! Hopefully I'll be able to spend a little more time out with ya this season.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2015, 04:35 PM »
Manny... we need to get the early ice crew together again this year! Hopefully I'll be able to spend a little more time out with ya this season.

Looking forward to that Paul. I will keep you posted on early ice conditions.      Manny

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2015, 10:07 PM »
For ice cleats, I always liked the Frabil stableicers.  They are comfortable and keep you up off the ice a little bit. They stay on when running full speed , and don't hurt.

For flashers, I'm clueless.

Offline Knot there yet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sub Zero Mafia Ice Team
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2015, 06:20 AM »
Flashers are good. I bought the ice bag for my (elite4)Lowrance. Same price plus I get GPS navionics maps.  Has frasher mode but chart plotter is better. It's something to watch at camp waiting for flags. With the GPS creek channel and drop off you can be exact.
 I never used to move around a lot. now I go drill holes just to scan them.
That navionics is also an app for smart phones.($20) sonar charts $5 upgrade. I highly recommend it. If you go with frasher. Doesn't have every lake I fish but close.
 I can't get sonar charts on the bag has to be elite 5 or better for upgrade but still great. I have on upgrade on phone.

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2015, 08:04 AM »
I have the Stabilicers for cleats. get the ones from Maine not the cheap Chinese knock offs.
I use the Showdown fish finder unit.

burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2015, 08:45 AM »
Fishfinders change the way you fish, in that you will catch more. Knowing depth, structure, drop offs, how fish react to how your jigging, are all just as helpful thru the ice as it is in open water.

I got a Lowrance Elite 4 that i use on my kayak, bought an Ice transducer for it and can use it on the ice too.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2015, 09:51 AM »
Flashers are great but I've seen plenty of guys catch nothing with them.  Lets be clear, ownership of said device doesn't magically make you a fish catching maniac.  The best flasher users are the ones that knew how to find the fish without them.  The other thing to avoid in flasher ownership is tunnel vision.  By that I mean sounding a hole, seeing nothing and moving on.  You'd be surprised how many times the screen has blown up after I do a drop or two.

Agreed...also just don't find fish ..."see" what the fish are doing and responding  to ..a change in tactics,presentation color etc may be in order ...its a learning experience every outing ...also learn how to read bottom...hard... soft ...and the drop offs ...that bottom that isn't truly bottom ..your jig will "disappear" past "bottom" ...the more you use it the more it'll teach you .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2015, 10:33 AM »
Flashers are great but I've seen plenty of guys catch nothing with them. (myself included) Lets be clear, ownership of said device doesn't magically make you a fish catching maniac.  The best flasher users are the ones that knew how to find the fish without them.  The other thing to avoid in flasher ownership is tunnel vision.  By that I mean sounding a hole, seeing nothing and moving on.  You'd be surprised how many times the screen has blown up after I do a drop or two.

Yea but, still and all, if I forgot my flasher (and for some reason am physically stopped from turning around and getting it) then my jig rod stays in the sled. 

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2015, 10:54 AM »
The other thing to avoid in flasher ownership is tunnel vision.  By that I mean sounding a hole, seeing nothing and moving on.  You'd be surprised how many times the screen has blown up after I do a drop or two.

This is very true. I normally drill 5 holes and go back to the first when done. Jig each hole for 2-3mins, if no action, move on.

Offline mrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2015, 05:07 PM »
I happen to fall into the category of fishermen with to much stuff and I like to take it all to LOL. I just upgraded to a Vexilar FL18 and happen to have a older FL8 for sale . It works great and I was looking to get around $175.00 for it. I have an extra set of creepers that I don't know the name of but I have been using them for 30 years and they are great they cover your hole foot and have spikes about 1/2" long. If anyone is interested let me know. :icefish:

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2015, 06:31 PM »
Looking forward to that Paul. I will keep you posted on early ice conditions.      Manny
Count me in Manny for the early ice in the high country ;D
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2015, 06:34 PM »
Matt pull the trigger on the Kahtoolas. I've had a pair for a couple years now and they are great

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2015, 07:40 PM »
Count me in Manny for the early ice in the high country ;D

Absolutely Jeff.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2015, 10:54 AM »
I have a lowrance elite 4x too, and i considered just adding the ice ducer and calling it a day but I dont really feel like uninstalling the unit. i may just see what i see what i can do bartering my fatfish 949 now that i have two.

also anyone have fitment issues white any of these ice cleats on the muck boots? like the katoolas?

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 04, 2015, 11:14 AM »
I'm still new to using a flasher/fish finder and have to admit that it has helped me catch more fish. By this I mean I would know where in the water column to target when I would graph a fish. I would also know if I should leave an area and not waste my time cause I'm not graphing any fish. I've only happened to do this once and that was find a school of suspended crappies. As soon as the school moved I knew it was time to move. If I didn't have a flasher I would of had no idea that the school moved.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 04, 2015, 09:28 PM »
Matt I have the Muck boots and the katoolas. Don't have any problem with the fit.

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2015, 06:18 AM »
I have a lowrance elite 4x too, and i considered just adding the ice ducer and calling it a day but I dont really feel like uninstalling the unit.

Matt, all you have to do is pop the head unit off. U can pick up a new base for a few bucks and the ice transducer for around 50$. Since u allready have an Elite 4, you are less than 100$ away for a nice ice unit. Here is what mine looks like.

I just pop the head unit off this setup and pop it onto my yak or boat.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 07, 2015, 06:52 AM »
Matt, all you have to do is pop the head unit off. U can pick up a new base for a few bucks and the ice transducer for around 50$. Since u allready have an Elite 4, you are less than 100$ away for a nice ice unit. Here is what mine looks like.

I just pop the head unit off this setup and pop it onto my yak or boat.

(Image removed from quote.)

what about power supply? I ll need a power cable too...

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2015, 09:57 AM »
Its all the same cable. Look at the cable that hooks to the head unit of your Lowrance. Should be 2 wires coming out. Ones power,the other goes to the ducer.

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 2015, 06:23 PM »
Kahtoolas. You won't regret it.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2015, 10:31 AM »
Its all the same cable. Look at the cable that hooks to the head unit of your Lowrance. Should be 2 wires coming out. Ones power,the other goes to the ducer.

I have two connection in the back... mine is actually an elite 4x not sure if that the difference?

I think I will be pulling the trigger on some kahtoolas!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2015, 04:03 PM »
I have two connection in the back... mine is actually an elite 4x not sure if that the difference?

I think I will be pulling the trigger on some kahtoolas!

The X just means it doesnt have GPS. You should be fine with just an ice ducer. Give Lowrance a call to confirm tho

Offline xjbob99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 2015, 12:26 PM »
you can use my flasher whenever.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2015, 06:55 PM »

just a heads up there are actually two cables available for elite 4x. a "uni" plug (transducer/ power all in one) and then the updated "blue plug" style which requires and input for ducer, and another input for power. lowrance told me to check with retailers to make sure it was the newest version connections  decided to go with lowrance ice pack with everything I need for $125. graph mode is was really got me interested. do you used graph mode on the ice as oppose to flasher mode?

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2015, 04:05 AM »
just a heads up there are actually two cables available for elite 4x. a "uni" plug (transducer/ power all in one) and then the updated "blue plug" style which requires and input for ducer, and another input for power. lowrance told me to check with retailers to make sure it was the newest version connections  decided to go with lowrance ice pack with everything I need for $125. graph mode is was really got me interested. do you used graph mode on the ice as oppose to flasher mode?

I prefer graph mode. It nice when u look around to check your tilts and look back down and see if anything came by. Also easier to read IMO.

Offline Knot there yet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sub Zero Mafia Ice Team
« Reply #29 on: Nov 18, 2015, 11:58 AM »
I got elite 4 on boat and have ice bag. I wish I had gotten the elite 5 for the sync & navionics sonar maps upgrades alone. Sync to iPad,phone or tablet for muti screens would be nice too.
I love the fact I get use my fish finder all year now. If you think about it as something you use all year it's worth extra $.I'd go big get yourself a good one.
 Lost front fish finder in boat this year. Looked at replacing with elite5 but now they sync to trolling motor and up goes the price. Of coarse I don't have the new blue cable so 2x the wires to replace.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.