Author Topic: Ice Fishing Seminar Nov 27th  (Read 1928 times)

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Fishing Seminar Nov 27th
« on: Oct 29, 2015, 03:49 PM »
 Ice Fishing Seminar Nov 27th Door prizes and Chili
][IMG]

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Fishing Seminar Nov 27th
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2015, 05:37 PM »
MAN I want to go to this!!!  Have to work.  I want to latch into a laker this year-- it's my goal for this winter.  May be heading to Chambers to go after them there.  The knowledge at this seminar would be very helpful I'm sure.  Gotta see if I can get off work for this.

Thanks for posting this!!
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2015, 05:43 PM »
Wish I could make it, sounds like a great seminar -- but I'll be out on the ice fishing on Black Friday!   Already got it planned...  ;)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2015, 06:22 PM »
Last year we had close to 90 people show up so instead of pizza we are doing chili and once again we will have our free raffle . Robby puts on a GREAT seminar and there is a wealth of info in that brain of his.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2015, 06:42 PM »
WOOHOO!!!!  I'm off work for it!  I'm the field supervisor, so it wasn't to hard to twist the owners arm a little bit and get it approved!  Sure excited about this already! 
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2015, 06:46 PM »
I don't remember getting any pizza last year but I'll try for the chili this year. Last year was packed so don't be late. You may have to park at the bar a half block north on 21st and walk back. Robby Richardson knows his stuff and knows how to explain it.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline pleasureseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2015, 03:42 PM »
WOOHOO!!!!  I'm off work for it!  I'm the field supervisor, so it wasn't to hard to twist the owners arm a little bit and get it approved!  Sure excited about this already!
Hi Raptortrapper..I'm in New Castle and am interested in checking that out, too.  Carpool, maybe?

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2015, 09:02 AM »
Hi Raptortrapper..I'm in New Castle and am interested in checking that out, too.  Carpool, maybe?

Absolutely!  I have me and a buddy that are planning on going.  Plenty of room if ya wanna go! 

Offline Toddr44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2015, 05:01 PM »
 Looking forward to being there. Last year's seminar was excellent! Robby is pretty a pretty darn good communicator and a heck of a good guide.

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2015, 09:20 AM »
Just giving this a bump

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2015, 12:03 AM »
Ah man!!!!  Just saw in another thread that this seminar is in Colorado Springs.  I thought it was in Gunnison.  Guess I won't be going now.  DANG IT!!!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2015, 09:25 AM »
Ah man!!!!  Just saw in another thread that this seminar is in Colorado Springs.  I thought it was in Gunnison.  Guess I won't be going now.  DANG IT!!!
When I saw your original post I was astonished that a guy would drive all the way from Rifle to the Springs to hear about laker techniques. If he weren't serving chili I'm not sure I'd drive across town. We'll take notes.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2015, 09:43 AM »
When I saw your original post I was astonished that a guy would drive all the way from Rifle to the Springs to hear about laker techniques. If he weren't serving chili I'm not sure I'd drive across town. We'll take notes.

Oh I'd still do it in a heartbeat.  But I can't get off two days of work for it.  Would have to have one day, or at least the afternoon, to drive over, then stay the night, and drive back.  Boss won't let me do that.  It was hard enough getting one day. 

I learned ice fishing on my own.  I don't know near what I should for the amount of time I've been ice fishing, but I enjoy the heck out of it.  But I learn what I can when I'm on the ice.  To attend a seminar on ice fishing and lakers would most likely have been a huge benefit to me, even with general ice fishing knowledge. 

Oh well.  Maybe next year....

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2015, 11:07 AM »
That chili better be darn good for those of driving from Rifle... ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2015, 11:38 AM »
To be honest, I doubt if there's anything way out of the realm of what you already do. There is some specialized terminal tackle and bait, maybe some presentation techniques that differ somewhat from the normal. I think it would be more crucial to find the right lakes and then find the proper lakebed geography that would hold lakers. If I see something that makes me jump out my seat, I'll PM you.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2015, 02:30 PM »
To be honest, I doubt if there's anything way out of the realm of what you already do. There is some specialized terminal tackle and bait, maybe some presentation techniques that differ somewhat from the normal. I think it would be more crucial to find the right lakes and then find the proper lakebed geography that would hold lakers. If I see something that makes me jump out my seat, I'll PM you.

Thank you!!  But that's my problem, I don't know what presentation techniques are to be used for different fish.  I just get out there and yank on a line.  Sometimes big yanks, sometimes very slow and barely noticeable.  I don't know where fish go in lakes, other than to be around structure for safety.  I have been fly fishing for years, and it is completely different.  I can read the water, I know where to look, and I know what to expect.  But in a lake, I'm clueless.  Honestly, I usually just look for where all the people have been and where they drilled holes, and that's where I go!   

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2015, 03:14 PM »
There's SO much to learn, for sure Raptor --- I agree.  Seminars are a great place to start.  I really learned a lot from Bernie's seminar last year, I wish I could attend this one at CTP.  And there's the chili thing, too...   ;)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2015, 04:49 PM »
Yeah I think seminars would be a big help for me.  I get on youtube, and try to find videos for ice fishing, but they rarely talk about the how's and why's of ice fishing.  It's usually more of "LOOK AT THIS FISH!!"  Which, don't get me wrong, is still a lot of fun to watch!  Or they talk about new products.  But I can't find much on instructional information. 

I feel like I have the basic equipment, and I try to get the best I can afford.  It's just a matter of learning how to use it properly I suppose.  I am going to try to book a guided trip with that speaker at the seminar, and hopefully can get some hands on experience that way.  Just gotta get the money together somehow.

Trying to find out if Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse in Grand Junction will be having any seminars or classes.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2015, 12:44 PM »
If someone goes to this seminar this evening, would ya mind letting me know what rods, reels, and pound test line are recommended?  I'm going to try to schedule a guided trip on the Mesa with the speaker later in the year, but would like to have the right equipment when I go.

Thanks a lot.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2015, 09:21 AM »
Well, let's hear it!!  Was the seminar worth going to (I'm sure it was)?  What did ya learn that surprised you??

Man I wish I could have gone.......

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2015, 10:03 AM »
We had a great turn out despite the weather and the north side of town just a mile or so from us locked down due to that crazed shooter. Robby is just full of great information and really knows his stuff. I personally was back in the shop to man the counter so I missed most of it.  I know Stinky was here and can give a better run down

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2015, 10:12 AM »
We had a great turn out despite the weather and the north side of town just a mile or so from us locked down due to that crazed shooter. Robby is just full of great information and really knows his stuff. I personally was back in the shop to man the counter so I missed most of it.  I know Stinky was here and can give a better run down

Man I wondered if that idiotic shooter was close to you guys or not.  I am a concealed carry permit holder, and never leave the house without my TRP just for that reason. Never know where or when those idiots are going to show up.  It absolutely ANGERS me when I see the stories of the cowards shooting innocent people, SPECIALLY on or around the holidays.  I have no sympathy for those animals (not humans) that do those things.  They belong in a cage (prison) for the rest of their life, assuming the police aren't able to serve justice on the spot.  Then our jacked up court system lets them enter an insanity plea, and they live out the rest of their life.  If proven guilty, they need to be, well......   

Anyway, enough of the ranting and back to why I'm here.....

So Stinky???  We're waiting!!!!!  ;D ;D

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2015, 10:25 AM »
That shooter was about a mile and half north of us . We did have a couple people cal us and said they were not able to attend because they were on lockdown.
Stinky started a thread about the seminars last night down below.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.