Author Topic: which Vexilar???  (Read 4795 times)

Offline landgills

• IceShanty Rookie
which Vexilar???
« on: Oct 29, 2015, 10:21 AM »
Hello everyone, at the end of the season last year I brought up a topic about which Vexilar I should purchase with my Cabelas points. After reading everyone's responses, it appeared as though the FL-18 was the most likely choice. Well since it was the end of the season I ended up deciding to save my money and continue building my points up and have yet to make any purchase. Now that we are coming up on a new season and I am now ready to burn those points. I would again like to bring up the question... Which Vexilar should I purchase? and please be specific because I want one that has all my fancy attachments, case, you name its. I want to make the purchase all at once rather than buy one piece now then a few months buy an accessory, then followed by another accessory months after that. I suppose my real question is, Which Vexilar should I buy, and what should I all buy with it? I would like to keep it under $700 for everything.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
Re: which Vexilar???
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2015, 10:36 AM »
If I had to do it all over again I would still get an FL-18, but with the digital depth/battery indicator already attached. Mine's been bullet-proof for 12 years now, and I added the depth/battery indicator myself, which is a neat and very useful add-on. I like to keep things kind of simple, and the auto zoom on the FL-18 is enough to help me catch a lot of fish. I think you can get into one for less than $500.00.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2015, 10:42 AM »
Hope this video helps

next is which transducer ....dual beam or tribeam if available .

the FL 18 will get the job done ...paired with a dual or tri or pro transducer even better

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TeamTwoSticks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2015, 11:12 AM »
If you are looking at the fl-18 then you want to get one with the Ultra pack and pro view ice transducer. I would then send the proview into vexilar and exchange it for the tri beam. The fl-20 has a few more options over the 18, and the fl-28 is the newest addition.

As for the bells and whistles make sure that you get the Ultra pack on whichever unit you decide on. IMO the ultra is a little more rugged than the propack.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/vexilar-fl-18-ultrapack-case-with-proview/1707399.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dvexilar%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=vexilar

Offline snotslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2015, 11:13 AM »
I have an fl-20 and love it. I had a fl-8 before and had to upgrade. The one thing I like about the fl20 over the 18 is the screen. U can see it from different angles plus the 18 and 8 have the screen sunk in so if your out fishing while it's snowing it will pile up on your screen.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2015, 11:21 AM »
i have  a fl 20 which is a great rock solid unit and as far as vexilar goes has great options.but i also have a flx 28 and that unit is amazing with weed mode,zoom, auto depth,5 different color choices and is quiet.also the display is crisp.cant go wrong with the fl20 but if ya got the coin id go with the flx28.i got the flx28 pro pack from reeds for 570 last year.few bucks more than the fl20.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2015, 11:24 AM »
The Ultra pack is one tough  :flex: pack ...I had the original Pro Pack felt like it was going to shatter at times but never did and then upgraded to the Ultra for my  FL18...I will using my 11 plus yoa Pro Pack with a FL12 unit as a spare.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline derek_buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2015, 01:16 PM »
I do not have much experience with Vexilar units, but my buddy had a Marcum LX-7 and it has every feature you could ever need in a flasher. Just thought I would throw that out there in case you aren't completely set on Vexilar brand.

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2015, 08:24 PM »
I have the FL22 and the FLX28... Love both of them. I had nothing but Vexilars. Have zero complaints.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2015, 06:58 PM »
I have an fl-20 and love it. I had a fl-8 before and had to upgrade. The one thing I like about the fl20 over the 18 is the screen. U can see it from different angles plus the 18 and 8 have the screen sunk in so if your out fishing while it's snowing it will pile up on your screen.

This is true, the snow gets in there, but they have the magnifier lens that snaps on to the cup. That's what I use to keep the snow out.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Why Vexilar old tech,  why not Marcum LX7 digital with free upgrades.
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2015, 07:25 PM »
I have some old flashers close to 45 years old and still working

Offline jgouldin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2015, 07:48 PM »
I had a fl-18 genz pack and love every second of it but the screen stopped working on it and needed a new one so bought a flx 28 and I don't know how I fished with the fl-18.  The two different zooms are good for all species and with the different color options you can really figure out what size fish are down there. Fishing pactola in 80 feet of water or more it is a world of difference when on the x10 setting. And the half light setting for when it gets dark out or in a shack really helps you eyes from hurting after hours of staring at the screen.  They have made many improvements that I would have never even thought about. 
Gouldin

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2015, 03:28 PM »
Stop it! You're gonna cost me some money haha. I looked that flx28 over good last year and it was pretty freakin' cool. Then I put my $ back in my pocket and went fishing with my FL18. I tried to pretend it didn't happen.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

But...if I did buy one I'd have my FL18 for guests. hmmmm........

Offline landgills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2015, 04:07 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone. The way it looks on here and what I am hearing from other friends, it sounds like the FLX-28 is the way to go. One of the question I have with a Vexilar is, does it matter how shallow or deep the water is that you are fishing? Could I fish 8 feet or 80 feet? Also I am curious about what the best package would be... which duecer, case...ect?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Nov 04, 2015, 04:28 PM »
The Ultra case is a tank..sits a little higher ..better for my neck ...I like the TriBeam covers a lot of different fishing situation....not sure you can find the TriBeam other than through Vexilar . Only one unit (FL 22) goes 0-60 ft the rest I believe go 0-300....I believe less than 3-4 feet you would have very little to see as the cone angle wouldn't be great.

My above previous posts /video explains most of what your asking

Offline jgouldin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2015, 08:20 PM »
I am very impressed with the deep water fishing with the flx28.  At pactola I used to look for 76-79 fow because of the transducer on my fl18 but now I can just set up and fish with the new electronics.  Even if you don't buy a flx28 you need to fish with one to check them out.  I did buy my last year towards the end of the year and Cabelas had 25% off all ice fishing so picked it up for $416.  Its awesome not trying to sway anyone or anything though.
Gouldin

Offline 43.69375-97.188485

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2015, 12:47 PM »
If your price range is 700 I would definitely go with the FLX-28 ultra pack they 669 on Cabela's website. I have FL-20 and love it. I don't think you can go wrong with either but there is only a $50 difference in price why not get the 28

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2015, 07:50 PM »
I would buy the Vex that comes in the RED bag-- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline chrispeters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2015, 02:36 PM »
Sir,

I have a FL-18 and my wife has the FL-8. They are both great machines. Of course the 18 has a few more options the bottom zoom is amazing, but if your fishing suspended fish the 8 and the 18 are the same machine. Bang for the buck the 18 is a great buy. Its really not much more then the 8 and you have a few more gadgets to play with and get use to. Which ever one you buy spend the 30 minutes and watch the video. It is well worth the time.   

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2015, 04:47 PM »
I have an fl 18. Pro pack. Use it from 30' to 5' no issues. Which ever one you get, like someone else said watch the video it is well worth the time

Keep It Safe! JDL

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 17, 2015, 09:11 PM »
I would suggest the FLx28 with the pro pack 2, tribeam, flex light, ducer arm holder, and cup holder. That's the best setup IMO. You can send the proview ducer in for a tribeam to vex if you do it when you open the box and have the receipt to show when you purchased it.

A few years ago I got an FL20 50th anniversary edition that had every option possible with it and a stocking hat. It is sweet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.