Author Topic: Line Advice  (Read 1103 times)

Offline bryan62

• Team IceShanty Regular
Line Advice
« on: Oct 27, 2015, 02:20 PM »
I am an avid crappie fisherman and fish exclusively with ice flies watching my line for bite indicators. That being said, for years I have used Stren Hi-Vis yellow main line with a clear leader. I have a problem with line memory coils from my spinning reel when fishing light weight flies, so last year I switched to Nanofil in yellow for my main line with a clear leader. I liked it in the beginning, but after the honeymoon phase, I found that I had issues when it was below freezing. the line would sometimes freeze to my rod eyelets and get little frays in it when you broke it loose. it also begins to fade and lose the bright yellowness that it starts out with. So, I am looking for a Hi-Vis line for my main line and would like some advice from others who may fish similarly to the way I do. As of right now, I am considering Power Pro Ice Tec and Viscious Fishing Panfish Ice.
GO...
The breath of God produces ice,
and the broad waters become frozen.
Job 37:10

Jesus was the best fisherman!! Luke 5:6

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Line Advice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2015, 07:18 PM »
you might think of trying a inline reel? I have a total different style of an old fashion set up and they made all ( penguins ) go away
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline bryan62

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2015, 04:06 AM »
Inline is what I used forever. Started using spinning reels and I do like them, but the draw back is obviously the line coiling. I just bought a couple of the Eagle Claw in lines to try them out. Since I will be using both styles, I am still looking for the best line option. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline custom r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2015, 06:03 AM »
fireline    for ice fishing .
Think it is called fire ice

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2015, 07:38 PM »
I have used Viscous for the last 5 years or so and have been very happy with it.
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2015, 08:00 PM »
I use cajun red due to it being easy to see out on the ice.  Can't complain about it yet, used it for the last 3 years.  Can't say its helped or hurt my fishing just easier to see.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2015, 11:42 AM »
I switched to Viscious on a couple rods and Cajun on a couple for the past few seasons trying them out and have no complaints with either.  Have used both on crappie, gills, and smelt.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2015, 09:29 PM »
Theres some pretty sweet hi vis yellow line by ASSO. 2lb diameter has a 3.5lb break strength on bow scale. Your Bobbers Down stocks it 4.99 Has low to almost no memory. They make a pink line too lol

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2015, 04:24 AM »
if you dont mind using a leader if it was me i would be using hi vis power pro braid

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2015, 01:53 PM »
The only thing about braid is that it holds water and freezes.

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2015, 06:00 PM »
power pros ice fishing specific shouldnt

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2015, 06:25 PM »
To my knowledge all braided line holds water. Some more than others. If your in a warm shelter or its above freezing outside it should be fine. When it does freeze however yikes!

Offline MrHoosier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2015, 08:30 PM »
Sufix Ice Magic in neon orange is pretty good line.  Tough, very little memory, and seems to resist freezing  up better than other brands I have used.  It seems to have a little more stretch than I anticipated but havnt had any trouble with it effecting hook sets.

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2015, 11:04 AM »
2-3lb ice magic is what I use on all my poles. Love it

Offline bryan62

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2015, 08:23 AM »
Thanks for the valuable feedback guys. I am leaning towards the Vicious. I will let you know how I end up and the results. As far as braids go, as I stated and have seen confirmed on this string, they perform well until they absorb water and it's below freezing. I am removing braids from my arsenal.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2015, 10:11 AM »
Pole Cat Ice 2# for me.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2015, 12:44 PM »
I also like using spinning reels, but I don't use the tiny little ones that most guys use: they coil the lines to much! Go with a next size up and straighten the mono when you get on the ice. I hook it to my sled and walk backwards feeding the line out. When I have more out than the depth I plan to fish, I give it a good stretch. This will also help with finding any imperfections in the line. Reel it back on the reel (don't reel against the drag, you will end up with line twist, a different problem) and you are good to go for the day, no coils and a good feeling for what your line can take and how much pressure you can apply to a fish!

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2015, 04:46 PM »
Reckon that Cajun Red in 8 lb test outta do the trick :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.