Author Topic: SoDak Trip in the books  (Read 1537 times)

Offline openwaterguy

• IceShanty Rookie
SoDak Trip in the books
« on: Oct 26, 2015, 08:29 AM »
Headed to the Webster area January 21-24. Booked the sleeper shacks now bring on the ice! Anyone else have trips planned yet? Does anyone know much about ice fishing the Missouri up by Chamberlain?

Offline medic76

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: SoDak Trip in the books
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2015, 08:12 PM »
Make sure you post back on your trip. I would like to plan a trip up there this year or for sure next.

Offline openwaterguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2015, 08:53 PM »
Will do! Last year was our first guided trip there and Dakota Backroads did a great job. The bite wasn't the hottest when we went but lots of fun! Hoping to get on a lot of jumbos this year. Did manage a 39" pike that took 35 min to get in.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2015, 08:55 PM »
Just booked two last week for the Webster area.

First weekend of December, and a another trip over New Years

Offline openwaterguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2015, 09:00 PM »
Jthod keep me posted on how ya do! What guide service did you go through?

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2015, 09:06 PM »
First weekend in December is going to be pushing it. I sure hope we get ice by then, but with all this warm weather lately, 60's & 70's the ice season still seems like it'll be a while before it's here. I've been itching to get on the ice since July, so there isn't anybody who hopes I'm more wrong, but I'm guessing it's going to be mid December before we can safely be on the ice.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2015, 11:11 PM »
Yeah, it's a gamble, but I can cancel the reservation.

No guide service needed  :)

Offline openwaterguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2015, 09:21 PM »
I'd like to eventually fish those lakes enough where I don't need a guide but for right now it's a great investment for me.

Offline Fish2Live

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2015, 09:03 PM »
Is a guide a must for two guys going for the first time. And no 4wheeler?

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2015, 09:09 AM »
Like I said, our first trip, we decided to wing it.  3 first time guys, no 4 wheeler, walking out.  There were times when we walked in up to a mile.

From my limited experience:

Doing homework before you head up there is the big thing.  Get maps, good road map, lake countor maps (from the SD website, mikes maps, sportsman guide map book, navionics, etc).

Read ALL the reports you can find, call sportsmans cove, Dakota Angler 2 minute fishing report, etc..

Talk to people at the bar, hotel, lodge, cleaning station, wherever.  Be social, just don't be rude.  Sometimes the reports from the tackle shops, and GFP site are pretty vague.  Word of moth reports are usually much more detailed, if you a person is willing to talk.  Beer is a good payment for a good report

Be prepared to move around.  100's of bodies of water with potential for fish.  Have a few ideas lined up each day to try.  If it's not working, move.  Obviously some of the lakes are huge, and intimidating.  They need to be broken down into smaller fishable areas, some times a short move is all it takes.

Big crowds usually mean there's something good is going on.  Sometimes being a follower will screw you, other times it will get you on the fish.

We fished no less than 10 different bodies, all of which produced fish.  Some obviously much better than others.

Offline openwaterguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2015, 06:01 PM »
JTHOD nailed it....
Last year we weren't as mobile as we should've been. We were too complacent fishing out of the shack. One day I suggested we drive around the lake and see how everyone else was doing. Seen a guy running out to his tip up every minute to catch a fish. Asked him if he would care if we fish next to him... He said no and we ended up getting some nice jumbo perch. Main reason we get the guide is for the sleeper shacks though. For only $200 a day/night (split by 4 people) it is well worth doing that.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2015, 08:52 PM »
We have looked into them, but haven't given them a try yet.

I picked up a old Honda 4 wheeler a couple weeks ago, so I think that will help our mobility even more. 

We were spoiled with good weather almost all of last year up there, and both of us who go have Striker Ice Suits, but we only set the hut up a hand full of times, usually just for darkness using a camera, or shade lol

Offline outdoornut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2015, 08:29 PM »
We are going up the first week in Jan, can't wait. It will be my first time, buddy is a repeat visitor. Look forward to the reports

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2015, 11:31 PM »
I'll be up there Jan 1st-5th as well.

It's getting hard to contain the excitement.  All this rain is bringing me down!

Offline Big Lefty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2015, 12:36 AM »
We made our first trip up that way last January. Rented a house on the north shore of Waubay.  Did very well on the perch early and late in the day, and got on some nice gills midday on Enemy Swim.  We had a blast and we'll be back up that way a couple times this winter.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2015, 08:27 AM »
Two weeks from today!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2015, 11:50 PM »
We will be headed up to LOW the first week of Feb and I think we are going to hit Webster for a day on our way up and a day on our way back, no guides just gonna wing it and see how we do.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2015, 01:10 PM »
We will be headed up to LOW the first week of Feb and I think we are going to hit Webster for a day on our way up and a day on our way back, no guides just gonna wing it and see how we do.

We'll be up there over new years, let me know if you want a report

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2015, 01:42 PM »
headed to NESD Jan 9-19 cant wait

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.