Author Topic: Safe Ice  (Read 3142 times)

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
Safe Ice
« on: Oct 25, 2015, 08:31 AM »
Before anyone chews me a new back end, I am aware that no ice is considered safe ice.  HOWEVER, we all feel comfortable on varying ice thickness and conditions, and as such, I am curious how others feel when venturing out.

I will walk on ice between 1-2" thick as long as I don't venture over water over 3' deep, but typically wait until there is 3-5" of clear ice before I start walking out to my haunts in the 6-20' range. I typically wont drive on until there is a good foot or more of ice or more, even with my car, but I have seen people with half tons on the ice with as little as 8" of ice.

Again, this is my personal choices, you can agree or disagree if you think these are safe practices or not.  Any time you are heading out, always check the local conditions and stay safe!
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Safe Ice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2015, 09:02 AM »
My rule of thumb is..... on good color ice is.....
1" on airboat. But will walk 2" and again shallow water only. Small ATV  on  good 5" plus. But staying away from trees, road beds and rocks/boulders. Small light weight truck 12"

Offline Masonbuchanan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2015, 10:40 AM »
I put 1/2 my truck in a lake two seasons ago. Ice was 16" thick when we started out, 5 inches where we went in. Scary stuff, make sure you know the lake prior to driving out.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2015, 10:59 AM »
8 inches for me here.  I'll walk or sled out at that point - if no snow, walk.  Sometimes I drive the truck around the edge as in just off shore where I now it is frozen to the ground and then walk out.  I have to be very familiar with the lake in these cases.  8 inches is usually first week of 2nd week of December.  I don't mind taking a month off.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2015, 10:07 AM »
At least 6" walking  ..... 16" for my truck.

How long can you tread water?
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline fishingplumber28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2015, 08:30 PM »
6" walking with gear, sled 12".......lost a friend on primrose a few years ago the ice opened like a trap door around Christmas black solid ice....I only bring my sled on now leave the truck on shore.

Offline degasvegas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2015, 09:34 PM »
I'll walk out with gear in tow when there's at least 4 inches of good clear ice. I ussually won't drive on until there's a solid 12-14, and even then I don't venture off the beaten path until there's 16+ inches.

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2015, 09:43 PM »
For me, has to be 4" before I'll walk out. 6" for all my heavy gear and portable shack, and 8"-10" for my atv. Won't take a vehicle unless there's a good 18"+
I love ice fishing, never experienced falling through, and don't ever want to, so I'm extra careful!

Offline blasterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2015, 05:26 PM »
Walking on I do 2-3 inches of good ice but I stay sallow and only on ponds and lakes I know.  While wearing pfd or floater suit... I don't go deeper water or heavy gear till around 6 -8 inches. Atv after 8 inchs. I don't drive my truck or jeep on the ice anymore. Lost a atv through a lake when I was young and that stopped me
From drive on with trucks haha

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2015, 05:55 PM »
6" I'll walk out.

8-10 I'll take the atv.

Offline Masonbuchanan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2015, 08:45 PM »
8" walk, 20" for truck. Can't friggen wait....

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2015, 09:32 PM »
  Clear ice , 4 inches. That's my starting point for hoofin it. Not goin over deep h2o though. Like to start out in the 6-8 foot  range on weed line edges...... Let the ice shape up while huntin the early toothy bite. Really get a kick out of watchin the big dogs go nuts as they near the hole and the hand bomb ....   :woot: :woot:

Offline BlackEcoboost

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here fishy fishy!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2015, 12:11 AM »
Before anyone chews me a new back end, I am aware that no ice is considered safe ice.  HOWEVER, we all feel comfortable on varying ice thickness and conditions, and as such, I am curious how others feel when venturing out.

I will walk on ice between 1-2" thick as long as I don't venture over water over 3' deep, but typically wait until there is 3-5" of clear ice before I start walking out to my haunts in the 6-20' range. I typically wont drive on until there is a good foot or more of ice or more, even with my car, but I have seen people with half tons on the ice with as little as 8" of ice.

Again, this is my personal choices, you can agree or disagree if you think these are safe practices or not.  Any time you are heading out, always check the local conditions and stay safe!

X2! Pretty much exactly how I feel. Last weekend the lake was 3" everywhere we went of amazing good black ice. Felt no threat of falling in at all and like you were saying about the 3' of water, that's as deep as I was fishing when I was out this weekend fishing for those brook trout ;)
How far a fisherman stretches the truth depends on the length of this arms.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2015, 11:49 AM »
I am not so sure there is such a thing as good amazing black ice that is only 3 inches.

Too each his own but until you have been through the ice keep going with the idea that a few inches is safe ice. 

No fish is worth it to me.  I'll keep waiting till around boxing day to be sure it really is safe ice and not some I gotta go fishn bad so the ice is safe idea.

Just my opinion and it really ain't worth a whole lot

SHOTGUN

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2015, 11:38 AM »
Shotgun I'm in your camp.  I heard the ice in the dugouts around here is about 3" as of yesterday.  Was -19C last night.
I'm still chasing a buck so I'll wait until next week to see if there is 8" for walking out.

I'll eat some summer walleye or this fall pheasant until then.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2015, 02:44 PM »
You know the ice has a lot of growing to do when it sounds like thunder coming out of the ice.  Almost like explosions sometimes. 

I'll wait.

SHOTGUN

Offline demasterangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2015, 09:10 AM »

A few years ago ,in Feb. at CVR , walked out 30 yds. ...2 ft of ice at least ....
 Moved parallel to the shore 50 ft. Two turns of the auger ,thru , maybe
 Couple of inches ....it was that really cold winter we had . A few weeks later
  The same kind of thing at Travers . An old guy told me gas bubbles keep the
  Ice from freezing . Sort of changed my attitude about southern reservoirs .
  Can't wait to fire up the new Ion ...

Offline flytyer nymph

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2015, 08:26 AM »
Good Morning,
 I'm kinda the chicken of the group. I won't go out on less than 4 inches walking with sled. Have not driven out on the ice. Not sure what thickness is required for my Tahoe.
Going out this week to look around the K country.
Kj

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • stay warm, safe and tight lines
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2015, 06:39 PM »
Me 5" to walk out about 8" to take the shack and heavy gear, 14" + to drive out
Tight lines and big fish

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2015, 05:18 PM »
With all this warm weather I am thinking any ice will soon be starting to rot just like spring break up

BE SAFE

SHOTGUN

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2015, 06:14 PM »
Two prime candidates for the 2015 Darwin Awards went through the ice on Last Mountain Lake in Sask yesterday.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2015, 06:32 PM »
With all this warm weather I am thinking any ice will soon be starting to rot just like spring break up

BE SAFE

SHOTGUN

Don't worry.   Will be out on opening day in Central.  Will report back just for you :)

Offline Legend Boats

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2015, 04:33 PM »
I feel any fish is not worth your life to question first ice. If everyone followed the guide lines, we would have less fatalities every year. 3-4” gives me a feeling of “safe” in my mind when i’m venturing out on first ice. The ice fishing community is very good at providing honest feedback on fishing and ice conditions. All the best to everyone this year on off the ice.
Cheers Henry - Legend Boats

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.