The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lipless Crankbaits in WY  (Read 1116 times)

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
Lipless Crankbaits in WY
« on: Oct 20, 2015, 10:29 AM »
My icefishing buds and I have been experimenting with lipless cranks over the past 5 years. I have had some mixed results on WY and MT waters. They also seem to be species specific. I have found walleyes, when in an aggressive feeding mood will crush them. If the eyes are in a neutral or negative mood, the bait will only bring the fish into the cone without commiting. Many times the lipless crank will call fish in only to be caught eventually with a spoon. We've tried them tipped and untipped. I've notice the tipped bait slightly messes up the intended action. Channel catfish on the other hand seem to prefer a spoon over the lipless crank in nearly every situation. In my experience it seems to be more of a calling bait than a catching bait.

Feel free to share your experience in regards to lipless cranks. 
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lipless Crankbaits in WY
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2015, 10:47 AM »
I agree with you. It seems like if they're in a neutral mood which is more often than not the walleys tend to hit the dead stick while jigging the lipless crank. 
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2015, 11:43 AM »
I think this goes for all fish. When they're aggressive and hungry, they pretty much eat anything. But when they're in a neutral or negative mood, they are very picky eaters and tend to like a motionless small bait. This doesn't just go for lip less cranks either, this goes for all baits. I've had alot of luck using the Rapala Rippin Raps, or the Clacking Raps.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2015, 12:02 PM »
I am a big fan of Salmo Chubby Darters and have lots of luck with them. I think that you are right in that they are not the best choice when the fish are in a neutral or negative mood, but even when that is true, they still call fish in and give you the opportunity to present another option. When the fish are in a positive feeding mode they will often out fish other baits (in my experiences), I think in-part, do to that "fish calling" ability...

Offline Westsloper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always something in my icehole!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2015, 02:37 PM »
Lipless cranks are my go to when I see fish screaming off the bottom to hit baits. Perch, eye's, trout all seem to crush them if the mood is right. I like them for perch to weed out the dinks when fish are aggressive.
Jiggin up jumbos!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2015, 07:13 PM »
I am a big fan of Salmo Chubby Darters and have lots of luck with them. I think that you are right in that they are not the best choice when the fish are in a neutral or negative mood, but even when that is true, they still call fish in and give you the opportunity to present another option. When the fish are in a positive feeding mode they will often out fish other baits (in my experiences), I think in-part, do to that "fish calling" ability...

I used to fish Salmo Chubby Darters quite a bit, especially in shallow waters. In deep water it takes f--o--r--e--v--e--r to reach the bottom fish zone. Haven't used them in quite some time. Heavier spoons are my go-to.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2015, 06:38 PM »

I fish mostly for lakers, but have had days when they work.  Had the most success dropping an ice fly on a dropper below the bait when they get picky. 

I agree, a rattle spoon will catch more fish under most circumstances, and they get down fast.   I like the northland rattle spoons for both hardwater and open water....

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2015, 09:34 PM »
I have only used them when fishing for pike (so far) and your right it was more as an attractant to bring them in. I had a few chasers but they always went over and hit my dead stick not the lipless
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2015, 08:59 AM »
Whenever I try a lipless I soon try something else.   :P

Like a blade or jiggin rap or kasty. ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2015, 10:29 AM »
I just started using them last year and have to agree with others. They are great for calling in fish. I was really surprised on how aggressive a pike will hit this bait. When I have a fish come in and look at the bait just to swim away I will switch out my lipless with a completely different lipless. Different size, color, and make. I did have a musky come in and look at my lipless, but when I switched to a slightly bigger and different color that fish came back and hit it aggressively.

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2015, 09:36 AM »
I stared using some chubby darters last year and was happy with the results.  Usually when I'm hole hoping I'll have two rods ready to go, one with a chubby darter and one with a pk spoon.  I like the chubby darter for seeing whats down there. If they don't go for it I'll drop the pk spoon down the hole.  Seems to work pretty well for finding eyes. Also had good luck jigging it around my tip-ups when looking for pike.  If they don't go for it they usually end up on a tip up.

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2015, 02:33 PM »
good point about jigging around the tip ups, thank you.
I am haunted by waters...

Offline Curitibano1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2015, 11:39 AM »
The last few years I've had great success on northlands rippin shad for trout.  I've never been skunked with one.  Been catching lots of rainbows and browns on them

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.