New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: sorry--old dude needs auger help  (Read 1266 times)

Offline old geezer from here

• Team IceShanty Regular
sorry--old dude needs auger help
« on: Oct 12, 2015, 11:10 AM »
i know this has been beat to heck--but here's a chance for some one to help an old dude replace an auger  # 1  will be 70 in march  ----will be living on summitt lake  in argyle- :tipup:--but do plan to take trips to tupper,long lake and lake eaton ,with occasional trip to lake francis in vt--- :tipup:--what is the absolutely best hand auger for someone who isn't  what he used to be  ??? i know the ice up north can be pretty thick going 2 ft or more---#2  if i have to buy a power auger ,what do you think of eskimos sting ray for some one who will be out up north maybe 3 or 4 times---i already plan to buy one of those new plastic sleds----any and all input is greatly appreciated ;D                 
Dang-it....missed another

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: sorry--old dude needs auger help
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2015, 11:29 AM »
I have had a Nils 6" auger for 5 or so years now and really like it.. I bought a replacement head (expensive $69.00 ) last year just because. One thing I will say is DONT hit anything (wood, etc) or it will be useless requiring an authorized sharpening.. I found out by on only the second time out with new head I hit some submerged wood and it was useless thus requiring me to put the original head back on which cuts fine until I send (need to soon) the new-old head to Frank for sharpening..
With that said, I find the nils very easy to use ,no pushing down and offset handle is awesome using 2 hands, it's all I use ..

Now :
The ice was extremely thick last 2 seasons and while I used the nils 6" , I found it difficult to keep the holes clear and given the thickness of the ice a little tough fishing out of the 6" hole , mostly lake trout.
My brother-in-law bought an exkimo stingray, 45 cc 8" auger and I was glad he was willing to drill some holes for me.. It seemed to work well and wasn't terribly heavy @ 28 lbs.. Cant say as I'd recommend it as we only used it towards seasons end but it worked fine if your looking at a power auger.. I'm still cool with my lightweight hand auger.. I also have an old jiffy 30 9" that is a beast to lug around and has set in the basement for 5+years, probably will never use it again.

You say you live on Summit , My son lives near there (was just there sat) and I never but always wanted to fish that lake, I have fished others in the area..
If you know of public access or would like o fish together there sometime that would be awesome.. I could also let you try out both augers if you can wait that long, lol..
Good luck and have a great season:
Rich

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2015, 05:59 PM »
65 here....I qualify as an old geezer....sort of.

I use a 4.5" fin bore III. Easy drilling, no problem landing fish. Been using them for many years now. Also, easy to get replacement blades.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline kyle1982

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2015, 06:30 PM »
I also have a 6" nils best hand auger i have ever used.

Offline RodandBobber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2015, 06:52 PM »
If you've got a little coin to spend, go with an Ion. If you're poor like the rest of us, 6" Nils is hard to beat. I use a 6" Mora Lazer auger and that cuts like butter. I am 36 though, so still in my prime and might not be the one to ask.
I thank God for everything in my life. But I especially thank God for ice.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2015, 08:06 PM »
I also have a 6" nils best hand auger i have ever used.

X2
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2015, 04:46 AM »
Both the Nils Master and Fin-Bore are great hand augers, the twin grip, offset handle is more efficient your using both hands while drilling. Fish 307 in LG, sells the Fin-Bore.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2015, 08:38 AM »
i use a hand  lazer drill[5in] i drill about 5 holes at a time till i find the pannies, but
i do have the hand drill rig[18V] that gos on my hand lazer drill ,i use it for real thick ice
I AM an old dude[76]
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2015, 09:44 AM »
i have a SM mora 6" auger. works great as a hand auger. bought a Rigid hammer drill at Home Depot. with adapter, it is  so much easier to drill holes, and it's fast!

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2015, 11:01 PM »
Just cook some of that food you told me about, and I'll bet anyone around ya will drill for ya - for a plate of that grub! I really (IMO) think the Nils are over rated. I have a Fin-bore III from Fish307 and side by side I see no difference. (except the price) But what makes a difference is the off set handles and good quality sharp blades.

Offline pmac3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2015, 09:30 AM »
Nils is ok. I'd get it in 6". I have an 8" and have had a lot of problems with it no matter how sharp the blades are, and I have it sharpened by an authorized professional. They're a little too delicate for the rigors of ice fishing in my opinion and probably not worth the price. If you're interested in a gas auger, the Eskimo Shark Z51 is powerful and relatively light, at least compared to my old Jiffy. Hand augers, a Strikemaster Mora in 6" cuts beautifully with sharp blades and about half the price of a Nils.
Pete

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2015, 02:11 PM »
 I have a6 inch in a 4 and a half inch nills with a Tanaka motor the best one out there I think hey buddy use mine and he went and bought one

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2015, 05:30 AM »
 I have a6 inch in a 4 and a half inch nills with a Tanaka motor the best one out there I think hey buddy use mine and he went and bought one

Offline old geezer from here

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2015, 06:12 PM »
                  i took your advise--bought the mora in 6 " with  an extra set of blades---the amount of times that i would probally get up to tupper , long lake , and a  few others didn't merit me spending 400 bucks plus for a new power auger----just thought of this --what i save on the auger--maybe i'll see about a shelter for 2---any suggestions  ;D
Dang-it....missed another

Offline icecaptain14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2015, 12:53 AM »
strike master has a pretty sweet hand auger called the lazer 6 inch bought one last year due to my auger having to fail due to the recoil I was surprised when cutting the ice it was like a hot knife going through some butter

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2015, 09:56 PM »
Bud if you bought a mora sorry you did not take his advise...mora drilling you will be doing should have got a nils
I can drill 3 holes to one with my nils no doubt to a mora....I have had mine for 6 yrs and still have a replacement head waiting to b used ....good luck

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2015, 05:13 AM »
i am not too old but i am disabled with a back injury and i now use the clam plate with a wilwakee m18 drill and a 6 inch laser auger.  this setup need a laser auger. it only weighs about 7lbs! it cuts ice faster than my jiffy does. at the end of last season i drilled 56 holes with on battery in about 22 inches of ice! i advice anyone and everyone to go this way. i can hole hop all over the place and find the fish and structure i want to fish with no effort. then i can follow the schools all over the place and stay on fish all day long! the cost will be right about the same as a good gas auger but the weight makes it the best deal on the market!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2015, 05:53 AM »
                  i took your advise--bought the mora in 6 " with  an extra set of blades---the amount of times that i would probally get up to tupper , long lake , and a  few others didn't merit me spending 400 bucks plus for a new power auger----just thought of this --what i save on the auger--maybe i'll see about a shelter for 2---any suggestions  ;D
I don't quite understand  your choice when it was the only Mora vote but made your descion so that's kool.  I turned your current age 3 days ago and run a 5"   S/M lazer hand auger for early ice pulling a 1 man sled and a 8"   S/M lazer mag express power auger when the ice is thick enough for me to use my ATV pulling my 2 man sled.  The smaller the bite the easier to crank, works for me.  A two man shack may be a little more than you want to pull by hand.  Good luck as I know what you mean.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2015, 06:12 AM »
I'm a crippled up old Irish Polack who once met a man who was in the civil war. Go with the Nils you wont be sorry .
Oops! is too late.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.