The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jiffy Blade Replacement Question  (Read 2001 times)

Offline spencer236

• IceShanty Rookie
Jiffy Blade Replacement Question
« on: Oct 11, 2015, 05:16 PM »
My Jiffy propane has the 8" Stealth blades on, currently the blade is a 3558. The little blades are useless if you ask me, on cold days they ice up and doesn't cut as well. I want to eliminate those and I see there is an 8" "Ripper" blade for sale but the number is 3538 stamped on it. Will this blade work if i swap it with the 3558?

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jiffy Blade Replacement Question
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2015, 08:29 AM »
I have the same issue with mine, the little blades on the inner part freeze into a nice little ice cylinder and it won't cut through anything. Would love to know the same thing

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2015, 09:06 AM »
I would contact Jiffy ...good luck Emailing them I have had no luck getting catalogs etc from them may be a phone call . Try their FB page via message ...I have had better luck contacting several companies that way .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2015, 08:00 PM »
i bought a jiffy lite 8 inch propane last winter and havent used it yet. i better check the blades on it. its still in the box. sounds like i could have the same problem. other than that is everyone happy with the jiffy propane.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2015, 12:58 PM »
I used to have the same problem with my Stealth STX several years back. I always traveled with a propane torch that I used to light my heaters and grills and many times had to warm up the blade to melt the chipper blades free from ice.
Other solution but it presents it's own problem is to drill a dummy hole almost all the way through but leave enough space to stand the auger up. Then just use a spud to make a small hole in the bottom. The water will keep the ice from building up on the blades. Only problem is that on super cold days you may have your auger freeze in place as the metal will get colder than the water and adhere to the blade. However, as long as it's just a thin layer, your chipper blade should still dig right in.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2015, 07:02 PM »
my other gas power auger is a jiffy stx and it does freeze up on cold days. so now i cut all of my holes i need at the same time . if i need it again for some reason i thaw it out on my buddy heater. i have also put it in the ice about half way down and it helps.

Offline spencer236

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2015, 02:48 PM »
As for being a propane auger, I love it, never once have i had an issue with bottle freeze-up. I asked my same question on Amazon and the response was that this single blade will work on my auger. I think i will buy it and just ditch the 2 smaller blades and see how it goes

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2015, 05:09 PM »
The propane aspect is great, ive only had trouble once and that was at -22f after driving 80 miles with it in the bed of the truck from Mont P to Carmi (she was a bit cold!) but I heated the propane on the dash of the truck and she fired right up, took 2 pulls to fire on sunday after sitting since march. But I hate the blades, so would love to hear how it went without the little blades.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.