Author Topic: handheld for lakemaster chips  (Read 1932 times)

Offline waterfowlstocker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • not how deep you fish its how you wiggle your worm
handheld for lakemaster chips
« on: Oct 08, 2015, 09:06 PM »
Is there a current handheld GPS that is compatible with lakemaster chips??

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: handheld for lakemaster chips
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2015, 09:31 PM »
no

Catchin' Fish

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2015, 10:31 AM »
no
Matzilla is correct Johnson Outdoors purchased LakeMaster, Humminbird and Minkota and made all their products proprietary:  But there are other options
Option 1
http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater/Product-Category/Accessories/Cartography/Contour-Elite/
Contour Elite is a computer version LakeMaster. They sell the DVD's by regions for about $150. You can add a USB - GPS to your computer for tracking.

Option 2
http://www.navionics.com/en/mobile-pc-app-1
This is a "Boating App" you put on your smart phone, (android / iPhone etc) tablet, iPad - $9.95 per year. (they offer a high def version for $50/year but in my opinion not worth it.) You can try either for free for one week. Smart phones have built in GPS capability. They also have webapp with USA lake maps you can view your lakes on your compute. Just click on the webapp button (its free)
You download a region area from a US map (Canada and other areas of the world if you so choose). Keep the download area small unless you have a lot of data storage on you smart phone as all the selected map data is loaded on you phone. You can change the area at any time.
I bought a cheap 7" tablet (DigiLand) $40 which has built in GPS capability. It works very well. Tracking (refresh rate) is a bit slow, but Navionics is currently very aware of the issue and working on a fix per an email I received from their development team last month.
I did some overlays on some MN lakes comparing my Contour Elite and Navionics maps. They are extremely consistent to one another.   
I believe over time Navionics contour maps will far exceed any other fishing contour maps in the future. The app allows you to create your own contours using several sonar units where the sonar and boating app are linked. I use the SonarPhone and it works great. You can select an option to sync our unit with Navionics who use your contour data to update their maps. Map updates are done almost daily and I have seen the contour I created show up on an update for a lake I spend a lot of time on.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2015, 09:05 PM »
I think you can also use garmin lakevu on their handhelds

Catchin' Fish

Offline waterfowlstocker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • not how deep you fish its how you wiggle your worm
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2015, 06:00 PM »
how is garmin lake view compared to lakemaster??

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Catchin' Fish

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2015, 11:32 AM »
If you have a boat depthfinder that accepts lakemaster chips, just buy an extra power cord.  Rig it up so you can hook it up to your vehicle 12v plug in, or get a portable battery and take your boat unit on the ice with you.

Has worked excellent for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.