Author Topic: Recommend An Insulated Hoody???  (Read 3563 times)

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Recommend An Insulated Hoody???
« on: Oct 08, 2015, 08:38 AM »
Looking for an insulated hoody that I can wear under my bibs.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Recommend An Insulated Hoody???
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2015, 08:45 AM »
I would suggest an insulated shirt and a nice hat. If u need to toss your coat on with a hoody underneath, its a PITA.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2015, 08:48 AM »
Very warm ...they make cargo style sweatpants as well

http://www.modells.com/product/-01212161004.do?sortby=bestSellers&from=Search

I found the sweatpants tooooo warm w or w/o thin thermals

http://www.modells.com/product/-01212164986.do?sortby=bestSellers&refType=4

I found out that just wearing a vest is a great way to layer ...keep your core warm and you wont feel AS COLD

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Guide-Series-Mens-Therma-Fleece-Vest&i=725420
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2015, 09:10 AM »
i'm looking to try one of these. they made a newer version with out the fleece in the arms for easier on/off. has a different name or added word to the name.
                                                 Striker Ice Performance Hoodie
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=50012096
http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Striker-Ice-Performance-Hoodie-p39092.htm

i have a heavy duty hoodie that has a lot of bulk and is warm enough, but i'd like to try less bulk and keep the warmth.
they are nice to keep the wind off the neck, when you don't need the parka hoodie up yet.
i wear my hoodie over the bibs. easy to get a parka on over it. its in the sled most days until the sun drops with the temp.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2015, 09:24 AM »

I have the Climate parka ...that has a removable inner jacket which I believe is similar to the hoodie in material/construction ...minus the hood.

It is very warm ..kinda a compressed fit ..I didn't wear it with the parka at all last season..because of the fit ..I just went with the Climate Bibbs (minus the inner lining)  thermal top,sweater,hooded sweat shirt..and a vest...then the Parka only if it was brutal...last year was quite a challenge as to what to wear ...new Climate Bibs/Parka as well as new boots.. Muck Artic sport...I was adding and removing layers pretty much most of the season .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2015, 10:31 AM »
I absolutely love my Cabela's Micro Berber Hoody! I've had it for 3 years now, and the past 3 years, I have not needed to wear my coat once! It is all I need to keep me warm, just make sure to have a nice base layer shirt underneath, and it's a great hoody! They are also on sale right now, so it's a great deal!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-men-s-outfitter-s-micro-berber-hooded-sweatshirt/944597.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmicro%252Bberber%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=micro+berber

I have thought about trying a Fishbum product for a couple years now. They claim they are awesome, both windproof, and waterproof, and super warm. The price is a little high, but I finally bit the bullet and wanted to try one for the fact that it's waterproof. I haven't received it yet, but when I do, I'll give my thoughts on it!

http://fishbumoutfitters.com/fishbum-fishing-clothing-presents-jackets/

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2015, 11:24 AM »
I have a Kahatadin hooded sweatshirt from LL Bean and love it . Its waterproof and warm.
LLBean.com
Oops! is too late.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2015, 11:26 AM »
Thanks guys.  To clarify, I am looking for something that I can wear under my bibs when I am not wearing my parka (e.g. sunny or in the shelter).  I shave my head, so I am always wearing a hat.  My thought is that the hood would be nice to keep the wind off of my neck, but not choke me with a zipper under my chin.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2015, 11:31 AM »
Fleece neck gator ....

Offline GreatScott

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2015, 11:37 AM »

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2015, 01:06 PM »
Vanderlaan,
                     There is a very warm Hoody with the Iceshanty colors available right here at/on Iceshanty.        ;)2

I wouldn't be seen in anything else.        ;D

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2015, 04:46 PM »
Thanks guys.  To clarify, I am looking for something that I can wear under my bibs when I am not wearing my parka (e.g. sunny or in the shelter).  I shave my head, so I am always wearing a hat.  My thought is that the hood would be nice to keep the wind off of my neck, but not choke me with a zipper under my chin.

This!!! http://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing/men-s-casual-clothing/men-s-base-layers/men-s-heavyweight-base-layer-tops%7C/pc/104797080/c/104746680/sc/104495580/i/104036580/cabela-s-men-s-e-c-w-c-s-polar-weight-hoodie-with-polartec-reg-power-dry-reg-regular/1900675.uts

That stuff is amazing. I have the long sleeve crew

Catchin' Fish

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2015, 04:56 PM »
I wear an Under Armour Hoodie. Light and warm.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 08, 2015, 04:58 PM »
matzilla is absolutely correct! That is the same exact base layers that I wear every single day I'm hunting or fishing in cold weather! It's absolutely awesome stuff! I still wear the micro berber hoody over the base layers, and under my Striker Ice bibs.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 08, 2015, 05:02 PM »
Same here...base layer + an old BoneCollector micro berber hoodie for me - I haven't worn a parka in 2 years. When it is colder than 0 or windy out I will add an old synthetic waffle shirt

Catchin' Fish

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 08, 2015, 05:04 PM »
 icebreaker is the best brand you will find for that type of gear.  i got some of that and a heated milwaukee hoodie that is the best ice fishing purchase i've made.

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 08, 2015, 05:19 PM »
  I have a couple Dickies brand hoodies that have the zipper front.  They are really comfortable fairly thin and would fit under bibs quite nicely.  They have a liner that looks like long johns, so I guess you would call them insulated.  I think they would be perfect for under bibs for if you wanted your parka off.  Cheap too.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Oct 08, 2015, 05:24 PM »
I just wear Gildan's Heavyweight Hoodies.
Not expensive but toasty.

http://t-shirt.ca/sweatshirts/18500-gildan-heavy-weight-blend-hoodie/

You will see me out sitting in the open @ -25C with no coat, just bibs and hoodie on. ;)

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2015, 02:22 AM »
Not real sure if you wanna spend the dough but you seriously need to check out Fishbumoutifitters.com hoodies and jackets, if you like a little style you will love them, and pretty good quality imo, but for sure look into it.

Offline WildMN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2015, 06:37 AM »
I wear Carhartt Rutland Thermal-Lined Hooded Zip-Front Sweatshirt.  Water tight, warm, zips, And I dont need a coat unless it gets into the teens or lower. 

http://www.carhartt.com/products/Rutland-Thermal-Lined-Hooded-Zip-Front-Sweatshirt-100632

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 09, 2015, 08:30 AM »
I just wear Gildan's Heavyweight Hoodies.

Is that you modeling on the website?   :roflmao:

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 09, 2015, 08:36 AM »
How does the size on the ECWCS run?  I note one of the reviews says that it runs small.  They come in tall sizes, but I am 6'6"/270 with the sleeve length of an orangutan, so ordering "one size bigger" is not an option.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Oct 09, 2015, 09:48 AM »
How does the size on the ECWCS run?  I note one of the reviews says that it runs small.  They come in tall sizes, but I am 6'6"/270 with the sleeve length of an orangutan, so ordering "one size bigger" is not an option.

I don't like a compressed fit generally ...I have found that most base layers run small ..I wear a size large in t shirts and long sleeve henleys ....I go XL in all my base layers ...dosent cut off/pinch near my arm pits  .. the extra room and loft is the best fit for me .

Offline CavScout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Oct 09, 2015, 01:33 PM »
My vote would be for any of the mid weight or heavy weight Polor tech ECWCS base layers.  My personal favorite is the kind that has the square grid fleece lining that traps air. Super warm amd comfy for the weight.  It is what the army issues and one thing that I dont plan to give back. Cabelas carries the fancier civilian models, but if you want to save some coin grap up some surplus.   All my soldiers, including myself love our "waffle" tops.
US Army Cavalry Scout 2007-Present 

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline CavScout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 09, 2015, 01:38 PM »
On sizing for the ecwcs systems. The bottom base layer that touches the skin or "silk weights" can be loose or compression. I prefer loose for better mobility and breathability. All the other layers work best when worn loose as it traps more air, thus insulating better.    For a point of reference. I am 6'3" and 230 and wear a large long in gi issued sizes. I also have an xl top that fits fine too, just a little loose.  In relation to t shirts i am between sizes with all my shirts being lg or xl depending on brand.
US Army Cavalry Scout 2007-Present 

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Oct 09, 2015, 02:32 PM »
Is that you modeling on the website?   :roflmao:

No, but here I am modelling one of my creations using Gildan Heavy Weight Hoodies.   ;D
I put together hoodies and tee shirts for our annual Alaska fish partys!!  ;)

Close up of the image I put together for the 2012 shindig.  @)

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 09, 2015, 04:05 PM »

They have a tall size selection as well...the fit is a bit snug but not overly tight - close to the skin. If you want something to fit like a normal shirt would then order a size larger.

Catchin' Fish

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 09, 2015, 07:42 PM »
I have one of these, lightwieght and VERY warm, http://nomaralaska.com/sweatshirt.htm

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 09, 2015, 07:57 PM »
I have a Kahatadin hooded sweatshirt from LL Bean and love it . Its waterproof and warm.
LLBean.com

X2 I have three of these that I use for just the purpose you have asked about. I really like them. You can usually get them on sale if you sign up for LL Bean's emails.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 10, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Thanks again for all the insight.

Well played Difter.  Sweatshirt looks great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.