Author Topic: Buying new ice shelter need suggestions  (Read 1818 times)

Offline csjohanson

• IceShanty Rookie
Buying new ice shelter need suggestions
« on: Oct 08, 2015, 08:17 AM »
Going to buy a new ice shelter and sell my old one but can't decide what I want need some thoughts.
The new Clam yukon x thermal or Otter xt pro cabin ??

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Re: Buying new ice shelter need suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2015, 10:08 AM »
A lot of what goes into buying the right shack is how you plan to use it.  Do you fish alone or with someone else?  How do you get the shack on the ice?  Are you pulling it by hand or are you using an ATV, etc?  What kind of vehicle are you driving to the lake in?  Truck, SUV?  Will you have help to load/unload it from the vehicle?  What sort of storage space do you have for the off-season?  if you fish with 2 guys, how much gear do you bring on the ice?  Sled size becomes important there but that also adds weight and makes it harder to pull. 

Al of those things play in.  If you fish alone or walk a lot and pull your gear, then weight becomes a consideration.  If you have help loading/unloading and are pulling the shack with an ATV, then weight becomes less of a consideration and durability moves up the list.  All depends on how you plan to use this.

In terms of weight, Otter tends to be heavier overall than Clam but Otter also has an edge up on durability if you ask me.  I haven't looked at these two shacks side by side but those are the things I'd think about if I were trying to decide between the two of them. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline csjohanson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2015, 11:24 AM »
I've already considered all that. That's why I have it narrowed down to those two. It's not my first flip shelter. My current shelter fits in the back of my pickup with the tonneau cover closed so I'm leaning towards the otter because it will also but what I'm unsure of is if the clam will the collapsed measurements say it will be 5 inches to tall but the seats are removable so I don't know if that will give me the room I need. The weight is similar with only 6 pounds different . But the clam is $200 cheaper is the only reason I'm even considering the clam. I like being able to keep my gear clean and out of sight under my tonneau cover. I would have all my questions resolved if I could see them side by side but they are new models this year and aren't out anywhere that I've been.

Offline csjohanson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2015, 11:31 AM »
Actually weight is irrelevant I looked it up the otter is only 3 pounds heavier

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2015, 07:56 AM »
You can contact Dakota Angler and see if they will have both shacks displayed at the Sioux Falls ice show November 6&7. Todd gives a pretty good discount on show products mostly because he doesn't want to haul them back to the store.  ;)

Great place to (kick the tires) if you can make it. 

http://www.dakotaangler.com/

dc

Offline csjohanson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2015, 03:15 PM »
Thank you guys. I ended up ordering the otter XT pro cabin, should be here the end of this week!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2015, 03:25 PM »
Hope it serves you well . You should give a review a and  nd some pictures when you get it as its a new model/construction and limited info/pictures out there.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline csjohanson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2015, 08:44 PM »
I can definitely do that!! I may have to ask help on uploading pictures when the time comes!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2015, 08:27 AM »
what ever you do, don't buy otter right now or for a few years.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=318502.msg3352407;topicseen#new

Offline HuskerIce24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2015, 04:48 PM »
You'll love the Otter, best Shack on the Market by a long shot!   Accessorize it with a Sportsman Caddy and some rod holders!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2015, 05:38 PM »
I can definitely do that!! I may have to ask help on uploading pictures when the time comes!!

PM sent regarding picture upload .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fish-core

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2015, 10:45 PM »
i agree with huskerice24 you'll love the otter, got one last and wont be needing another for a looonnng time. enjoy!!

Offline csjohanson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2015, 02:37 PM »

Offline csjohanson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2015, 02:38 PM »

Offline csjohanson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2015, 02:39 PM »

I got it figured out!!!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2015, 03:45 PM »
Thanks for the Pictures . So your review ? how was the assembly ...good instructions ? all hardware included and good overall layout ?

Offline csjohanson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2015, 04:30 PM »
My review..
 Cover seems very durable it's heavy, if I'd have to guess it's all of 25 pounds. It's made of almost a canvas material. Seems like it should last a very long time.
 Instructions were great, I can't think of anyway they could've been better. Assembly probably took 1.5-2 hours overall, I decided to put the cover on and let it set overnight before I permanently screwed it to the boat. I highly recommend letting it set overnight because the cover comes folded up tight and it needs to relax a bit before it's attached.
 All hardware was included except 4 quarter inch flat washers, not a big deal. NO EXTRA hardware included  so don't lose anything during assembly. Overall it seems like a great shelter, it's seems very durable and should last me a very long time :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.