Author Topic: Last mountain lake 2015-2016  (Read 98045 times)

Offline Foozie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Last mountain lake 2015-2016
« Reply #420 on: Mar 20, 2016, 10:42 AM »
Walked out north of white rock(north of Sarnia) yesterday and ice was good. A little soft the first 10-12" while drilling but good ice after that. No concerns other than the shore line. A little spongy but still accessible. Walked out 2-300 yards to find 15-20 feet. 6 hits on the tip ups landing 2 decent pike, 9lber and a 5. Pretty slow and extremely quiet, saw 1 quad and another group that had walked out by white rock. Still some fishing out there but be careful and walking only I would say.

Offline bb73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #421 on: Mar 20, 2016, 08:57 PM »
Anyone fish midway this weekend?

Offline BigO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #422 on: Mar 21, 2016, 01:07 AM »
Fished Midway today. Had much better luck for pike last weekend in 18-21ft. Burbs were slower than same time last year. Tried for perch in 30-40ft. Quiet. Last weekend the perch were more cooperative for the few groups we talked to. 40ft.

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #423 on: Mar 21, 2016, 10:24 AM »
Walked out north of white rock(north of Sarnia) yesterday and ice was good. A little soft the first 10-12" while drilling but good ice after that. No concerns other than the shore line. A little spongy but still accessible. Walked out 2-300 yards to find 15-20 feet. 6 hits on the tip ups landing 2 decent pike, 9lber and a 5. Pretty slow and extremely quiet, saw 1 quad and another group that had walked out by white rock. Still some fishing out there but be careful and walking only I would say.

I'd agree on the ice conditions.  Some soft ice, but shorelines were still good for walking.  Fishing was good for pike in the shallows in the Alice/Wee Too area.  Several others groups had walked out as well.

Offline Roughrider24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #424 on: Mar 21, 2016, 01:46 PM »
Slow for our group yesterday Collingwood area. Water actually looked a little murkier in the holes likely from them letting water in? Going to hopefully try again on the weekend can't end the season on a slow day!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #425 on: Mar 22, 2016, 06:27 AM »
Where did WalleyeIceMaster go? He made 15 pretty damn funny posts the *poof* gone....

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #426 on: Mar 22, 2016, 10:21 AM »
Where did WalleyeIceMaster go? He made 15 pretty damn funny posts the *poof* gone....
His mother in law probably read his posts and buried him alive!  ;D :roflmao:

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #427 on: Mar 22, 2016, 11:20 AM »
His mother in law probably read his posts and buried him alive!  ;D :roflmao:

HAHAHAhA! Well, I had not thought of that. Sounds like she could certainly do some damage!  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline WalleyeIceMaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #428 on: Mar 22, 2016, 09:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for your concerns regarding my well being. Happy to report that I am still above the ice! As some of you may have alluded to, following my earlier reports I got into some hot water with the in laws. Just a good reminder to always log out of your profile on the world wide web. Needless to say after the mother in law got home from her trip to Maui and saw my posts I had some explaining to do. First of all, I have been told to clarify that it was not actually her making the ice crack earlier in the season. But you know what they say, if it smells like a fart and sounds like a fart its probably a fart. All I'm saying is the old girl was on the ice when it was cracking. Anyways, once I had the wife convinced that she shouldn't leave me because of a few posts on the Internet I was able to spend a few days on the hard water. Like usual I hammered the eyes and managed some great pike fishing as well. Around this time I decided I should take the wife south for a few days. Late one night over a couple drinks some tough looking hombres overheard me stating I was the best fisherman around. Little did they know what they were getting into when they challenged me the following day to a fishing competition. Looking back it may have been wiser to let them win but to be honest I couldn't keep the fish off my hooks. I knew I was in trouble when the gps tracker was shut off and Marco pointed the boat to the open ocean. Finally I was able to convince them that they should let me live in exchange for a walleye ice fishing trip guided by the one and only walleye ice master. Lucky for me none of those boys have passports and are never getting anywhere near my secret spots! Upon my arrival back home I was able to get out a few more times for some walleye, pike and burbot action on the mountain. Honestly guys nothing beats ice fishing in nice spring weather! Love reading all your posts and again i appreciate the concern for my well being. Until next time, tight lines everyone. This is WIM signing out.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #429 on: Mar 23, 2016, 06:54 AM »
WIM: Thanks for the update, glad to hear you are well and you are getting things with the wife and inlaws on an even keel. As they say "happy wife happy life" although, I will be the first to admit this does not automatically mean if she is happy you will be too. I guess that is the give and take in marriage. I recon that is why man invented ice fishing and all the comforts to allow you to stay out of the cabin for long periods of time.  ;D ;D

Offline Roughrider24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #430 on: Mar 25, 2016, 08:21 PM »
Last day for me tomorrow.  Hoping to get back on the right path to the eyes/perch for one last fry. Had a couple bad outings the last couple weeks would like to end it on a good note.

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #431 on: Mar 25, 2016, 11:36 PM »
I checked buffalo pound today and shoreline was open couldnt get on. Is there anywhere to still walk on at last mountain?
"Some people fish their whole lives without realizing it isn't fish they are after"

Offline cerndo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #432 on: Mar 26, 2016, 12:17 AM »
Fox's Point and Glen Harbour are walkable

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #433 on: Mar 27, 2016, 04:08 PM »
I was on the ice yesterday.  It was pretty good in the morning, shorelines were fine, but throughout the day most of the snow melted and there was quite a bit of water on the ice by the end of the day.  Shorelines will probably get pretty nasty with the warm temps, but I'd imagine it will still be walkable until the end of the month.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #434 on: Mar 29, 2016, 06:44 PM »
Spent a nice day at the regional catching some rays and a few fish as well.  Just walked out a little way and had steady action all day. Caught 12 pike and a burbot released all but 2

met a new fishing friend Gerber 84 years young and still walking out to catch the big one.

This will be my last outing until the ice is gone.  Pretty decent year once again. 
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #435 on: Mar 30, 2016, 06:52 AM »
A great way to wrap up the season! Congrats and thanks for the look, good eats right there  :tipup:

Offline Jedeoki

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #436 on: Mar 30, 2016, 12:05 PM »
Hi everybody,

I don't know if you guys do introduction posts, but here's mine:

My name is Jesse and I am hooked on fishing! Grew up fishing open water at the summer cabin and the odd ice fishing outing here and there, but this season, I have ramped up the game a little bit.

I bought a gas auger last summer, my girlfriend and I bought a pop up tent this winter, she's happy with a propane heater and the tent. I'm stoked to have her along for the company - and she can catch fish! She's currently beating me in the burbot count.

We were out on Last Mountain Friday March 18th and had a decent day. Caught 8 pike on rods and tipups, and she hauled in two burbot out of the tent. I had a 5-6lb burbot on my line but it started coming up the hole backwards and in my excitement, the hook came out and down the fish went. What do you guys do when fish come up the hole backwards?

Earlier on the 18th, the pike were on our tipups. I pulled in an 11.5lb pike. It's my largest fish to date (the lake we have a cabin at isn't very big) and it was a fun fight to bring him in off the tipup!

Judging by the comments, the ice should be ok for one last hurrah tomorrow. We plan to walk on tomorrow and
try to catch some more poor man's lobster!

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #437 on: Mar 30, 2016, 05:14 PM »
Welcome Jedeoki, you are lucky to have a girlfriend who shares your enjoyment of the outdoors. Good luck tomorrow.  Last Mountain holds some monster pike keep trying you will catch one of them.  It also holds some monster Walleye and Perch but its a completely different game. 
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #438 on: Mar 30, 2016, 07:40 PM »
She's a keeper!  :thumbsup: Lol. Nice catch Jedeoki and GF! @) Like the beers and burbot on ice!!! I take it you mean't March 18th instead of April? lol.

Offline Greatwest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #439 on: Mar 30, 2016, 11:41 PM »
I recognize the exact spot you were fishing. I hauled in a 17lb pike there around this time last year. Good luck tomorrow. It won't take long to beat your biggest pike. The bigger the bait the better it seems for tip ups 10-12" herring from cabelas have been working the best.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #440 on: Mar 31, 2016, 01:23 AM »
Anglerbrian, you really found the fish on your last day out, congrats. @)

Way to go to Gerber, still walking out to ice some fish at 84. :thumbsup:

Hi Jedeoki / Jesse,
Welcome to the SK. part of ice shanty. :)

Thanks for that nice introduction, and good job to you and your gf for icing some dandy looking pike and burbot.

Congrats on your new pb pike. :clap:

Burbot, followed by pike are my 2 fave fish for the table. ;D

If the fish is coming up backwards I usually try and get it up as high I can in the hole and the grab it under the gill plate, if I can reach it if not just try and haul it up onto the ice tail first.
This only works half the time,lol. ::)

Good luck with the last day of the ice fishing season and into the new open water season. :tipup:

WW

Offline tightline06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #441 on: Nov 30, 2016, 03:26 PM »
Does anybody have any ice reports for LML around regina beach? Is it locked up yet? With the looks of the weather forecast for next week, hoping to walk on next weekend.

Offline lra484

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #442 on: Nov 30, 2016, 06:25 PM »
Good ice at Regional----been froze shore to shore for a week. 

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #443 on: Dec 03, 2016, 05:48 PM »
Ira484, do you know how thick is the ice at the North end? ???

WW

Offline lra484

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #444 on: Dec 04, 2016, 05:27 PM »
There is over 3.5 inches of good ice at Regional Park.

Offline lra484

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #445 on: Dec 12, 2016, 12:29 AM »
10 inches at regional----8 inches at Lewis creek.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.