The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: do you think this strong el nino is real  (Read 1761 times)

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
do you think this strong el nino is real
« on: Oct 06, 2015, 11:25 PM »
most of summer was a little above average mostly the last 3 or 4 weeks of summer, now october is starting out above average, it's got me worried

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
Re: do you think this strong el nino is real
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2015, 11:33 PM »
Better start dieting now, could be some thin ice.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2015, 11:37 PM »
Not overly concerned, it is what it is and nothing we can do about it. Many predictions have been leaning towards cold(ish) and less snow which is fine, when the cold actually starts is still up in the air

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2015, 11:48 PM »
I feel the same way, 70 degree weather still holding strong  :'(
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2015, 06:51 AM »
it's real. no question there. The real question is... which is stronger, the el-nino or the Arctic Vortex?

Think cold thoughts guys!

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2015, 11:10 PM »
this coming weekend looks to be pretty cool, let's hope that it keeps going that direction :)

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2015, 12:31 AM »
It's either real or I was hallucinating today. It hit+27C or 80F here in Battleford, Saskatchewan, Canada and the flower gardens are still blooming nicely.

Offline Defcon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2015, 10:29 AM »
I wouldnt be concerned. Lately every year has been similar...warmish one week and then the big flip. Last year here in Muskegon, I remember I wasn't on the ice until January. This year I bought a Lowrance Ice Machine...so I'm hoping that it ices up a tad sooner.

Offline junobeans

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2015, 06:01 PM »
2 years ago they where saying it was gonna be and el nino and it was one of the coldest winters on record!! The bottom line is the weather guessers don't really know what is gonna happen.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2015, 07:13 PM »
cant predict the future..

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2015, 10:52 PM »
might snow this weekend, i'm already feeling better

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Don't be in a hurry ice will be here before you know it, until then enjoy the great open water fishing!
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline Just Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2015, 06:24 AM »
I've heard forecasters say this winter will be milder than the last two. In my opinion the last two were way too cold, it made ice sure enough at -30 at times, and it seemed it never stopped snowing last winter around here. Anyone remember that huge car/semi pileup on I-94 near Kalamazoo? I could stand it being a warmer winter than the last 2, but cold enough to make good ice.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2015, 07:13 AM »
that 100 plus car pile up is in a bad area on 94. between the truck stop and galsburg is always bad road. i think its low lying because the sheer wind/tornado that went thru followed that section too. in winter it must get colder surface and the tree lines make a wind tunnel for the surface too.

computers are making the models for our weather and a person has to pick from at least a few of those to say whats up. so in that regard, its some what a crap shoot what one they pick.
nature knows better i think. watch how high low the squirrel nests are and how many crickets and wooly bear catapilers and such.
i've noticed not very many monarch butterfly's this year.

last season ended too fast for me. in fact wind took out the shore line while i was on the ice. the ice wasn't that good any more any way, but it was before april. the year before we were fishing into april on marys cove union lake.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2015, 10:42 AM »
I've heard forecasters say this winter will be milder than the last two. In my opinion the last two were way too cold, it made ice sure enough at -30 at times, and it seemed it never stopped snowing last winter around here. Anyone remember that huge car/semi pileup on I-94 near Kalamazoo? I could stand it being a warmer winter than the last 2, but cold enough to make good ice.
There's a multi-car pile up at that spot on I-94 all the time, especially on the first major snow of the season or any major snow after that. Not a Winter indicator  just a bad/strange stretch of highway

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2015, 02:03 PM »
General observation:  I have 4 mature black walnut trees that produce nuts every year.  Some years greater than others.  2013 was heavy estimated 200 gallons hullts/nuts, and 2014 was extreme and estimated 300 gallons.  This year I don't think I have even came close to 50.  I know these trees can go in cycles, but just something else to throw into the mix.  I guess it will do what it will do, and we cant control it.  As much as I like to see Nov-April seasons, we cant always get them.  I just hope its better than 3-4 years ago when the season lasted about 6 weeks in West MI and was sketchy.

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2015, 10:53 PM »
the winter of 2011-2012 really sucked, ice only lasted 9 weeks here in clare county, from early january till early march. didn't last long, i pray we are not in store for that again

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2015, 10:54 PM »
another warm up coming sunday on the opener of firearm deer season, in fact all of next week is in the 50's, wish we would get lucky every year like the last two, was on the ice early december both years

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2015, 12:33 AM »
Now the future forecast for December looks pretty good, that being said, next time I look it'll probably change again. Looks like tennis shoes for the firearm deer opener.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2015, 06:24 PM »
It appears the Michigan Temp thread has vanished. Opener for firearm today, people doing yardwork, golfing, riding street bikes, lots of flies, still green leaves on trees, nice weather for indoorsman. Look like it'll be colder this weekend. Stay calm and dont panic.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2015, 07:05 PM »
Up here, at this time last year, we were out on the smaller lakes ice fishing. Today it was 65.

Offline lm26sk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Subie life!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2015, 07:16 PM »
Some snow predicted for weekend with steady mid 20s at night here in pa .. Wouldnt worry much about el nino

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2015, 07:16 PM »
I may hold off on buying the shanty I thought would be nice.  If I buy it, it will never get cold.  May wait for spring and find one on sale
Life is tough, Its tougher when you're stupid

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.