Author Topic: Ice Cleats  (Read 3341 times)

Offline JigthePig

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Cleats
« on: Oct 05, 2015, 09:24 PM »
Hello everyone.  I'm glad the ice season is approaching quickly.  I have been trying (without luck) to find some ice cleats, or pack boots with spikes that will fit me.  I wear a size 16.  I have been unable to find anything.  The largest set-up I could find last year left me wearing a slim boot that wasn't warm enough, just so I could get cleats around it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kyle
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat.  But the man worthwhile, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Cleats
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2015, 10:10 PM »
I've got your problem, also, and never found a pair to fit. I screw 3/8" hex-head metal screws into the soles of my ice boots

Offline sam heaton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2015, 05:09 AM »
      The screws work fine for walking. Its been a long time since I was able to run. I don't know about that.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2015, 06:05 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2015, 07:19 AM »
I've had these in my Cabelas Trans Alaska III PAC Boots for 3 years.  Dedicated to ice-fishing.
They wear much longer than the standard sheet metal screws and are designed to "grab" the ice.

Ice Screws

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2015, 07:30 AM »
i too have a problem finding a good winter boot that will fit my (size15) I ended up finding a pair or boots that are made for snowmobiling and they are a size 16 and fit good a little loose on me but the fit is nice with wool socks the brand I have are HMK I just looked and found some in size 16 and even in size 17 not sure what your budget is but I found them https://www.denniskirk.com/snowmobile/boots-shoes-and-accessories/120%3A8916.attrs I have the boa laces and love them for wearing slippers in the truck and putting them on when I get to the lake.  I also just screw short hex head screw in the bottom for cleats.
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2015, 07:46 AM »
been using these for a while and they are not dedicated to ice only. i wear them every where outside. no more slipping any where. packed white snow is just as bad as clear ice slick wise. no reason to not protect yourselves full time.

3/8" kold kutters ice racing screws 18$ delivered for 250
http://www.amazon.com/Kold-Kutter-Series-Snowmobile-Traction/dp/B008N6AQXO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_1/176-0456374-1177628?ie=UTF8&refRID=1NQPZTCZ7N88773S9JKA&dpID=31yH-VEAfrL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

you can do 4 pairs of boots and have some spares for replacments. i use about 30 screws per boot. i have 3 pairs done that i wear when i go outside in the winter. not just ice fishing. you can run wearing these and they are super comfortable. they are hardened steel and don't wear down as fast as the cheap hex screws from the hardware stores.

good stuff!

Offline DakotaAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2015, 09:18 AM »
I wear a size 13 Pac boot, and I can just barely stretch a pair of XL Kahtoolas over them. As has already been said, traction screws driven into the boot tread is probably your only option for a size 16 boot.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2015, 10:15 AM »
I wear a size 15 boot and found that HT XXL has a pair that fit but the straps wore a grove in the boot( I never took the cleats off) and it wore through causing the boot to leak and voided the warranty. I now use the screws in the boot and love it. No ice build up and really cuts down on the weight off the boot. I also used epoxy when putting in the screws and only lost 1 screw all last season.
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2015, 10:30 AM »
I used the dedicated boots for a couple seasons. They work good but you might want to use the ice studs instead of regular screws. The screw head on regular sheet metal screws aren't very hard and I found that walking in parking lots and such really wears them down quick. Once the head is worn smooth they lose any traction they had.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2015, 08:20 AM »
Size16.  :o I'm following you through snow banks getting on the ice. :tipup:

For around $50, Young's western wear in Valentine Ne will install permanent cleats if you have exclusive ice boots.

dc

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2015, 09:01 AM »
what are those made of?

looks lke they ground off the treads from your boots. i would want more in the center of the boot for mounds of ice, like ice holes areas.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2015, 06:40 PM »
The boot soles are ground off smooth to create more surface area for the replacement spike sole that is glued on. They are golf spikes that can be replaced although I've never had to replace any.

2nd pair of boots with permanent spikes over a 10 or 11 year span. With 4 sons that like to ice fish we've tried almost everything.

dc   

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 13, 2015, 12:25 AM »
 :o Man, do those look wicked Sandbilly.  They look like you couldn't slip even if you tried.  I may have to take Young's a pair of boots to work over the next time I am up to Merritt or the refuge.  Thanks.  Happy trails ! :)

Offline IceHunter53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2015, 06:53 AM »
Hi.

Try the web site    32north.com    they will have what your looking for

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2015, 08:29 AM »
icehunter, welcome!