The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: LaCrosse area ?  (Read 8876 times)

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
LaCrosse area ?
« on: Sep 30, 2015, 09:20 AM »
May have a chance to get some ice time in this coming season, anyone fish the area ?  Anywhere from Desoto north to Lacrosse
Bud

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LaCrosse area ?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2015, 05:31 PM »
Yep.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2015, 08:58 PM »
Just wandered back in here.  Been busy getting my tow vehicle back on the road, had to change out fuel pump, in the tank of course.  Got Family along/near the river.  Will keep a closer tab on the sight once it looks like fishable ice.
Bud

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:54 AM »
Don't imagine anywhere close to ice yet right ?  Did I see a post someone was putting their shanty out on Shell Lake ?
Bud

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2015, 12:59 AM »
Nope, not yet.  Looking at the long range we might get out about the first week of Dec. or so if we're lucky which is about par for the course.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2015, 06:43 PM »
There are some ponds and marshy areas frozen over towards the bottom end of pool 8. Hopefully not too much longer and  :tipup:.

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2015, 09:59 PM »
I fish around LA crosse a lot. I live about 30 minutes away though. If anyone see some hard water I'd appreciate the heads up. Hoping to have ice by Dec 21 and 22.... took vacation to try and fish without crowds.
To fish or not to fish; there is no question.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:27 PM »
I just got back from hunting lower pool 9 out around Lansing, IA backwaters were locked up by Thursday night broke up Friday and then locked tight by Sunday morning.  It will take a few more colder full days I think, but it's getting there.  I plan on ice fishing down there as much as I can when the ice comes.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2015, 11:07 PM »
I'll take a drive up Fishermans tomorrow and check it out, that's usually the first place to get out.  I might have been trippin but when I was on I-90 just before dark yesterday it looked like Shopko bay was frozen over.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2015, 02:09 PM »
Black River and Lake O are more or less locked up with 1" on the lake, the 10 day is less than inspiring though. :-\

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2015, 04:41 PM »
Black River and Lake O are more or less locked up with 1" on the lake, the 10 day is less than inspiring though. :-\

It's a start. I'd say that within 3 weeks, someone will drive their vehicle onto Lake O like every other year...

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2015, 04:49 PM »
There was another guy out there doing the same thing I was and he said he was gonna come back tomorrow and fish it.  Ohhhh Kayy.  Most of the trucks that go through seem to be later in the season when the ice is good and people end up hitting pressure ridges.  Seasons past I've actually seen a couple people out there I don't think even knew they were on frozen water.  Watched one car drive on off the end of Fishermans about 100 yards then turn around and drive right back off, and saw some Asians in a BMW SUV who asked what all the shacks were for, when I told them ice fishing they seemed even more confused.  And then there's the guy I heard about who drove his truck out to the the middle of the main channel at the dam, did some donuts then left. 

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2015, 04:57 PM »
Most of the trucks that go through seem to be later in the season when the ice is good and people end up hitting pressure ridges.  Seasons past I've actually seen a couple people out there I don't think even knew they were on frozen water.  Watched one car drive on off the end of Fishermans about 100 yards then turn around and drive right back off,

Yes I have to agree. I've witnessed both in person (especially bad during the atomic derby). Why anyone would think it's save to cross a pressure ridge is beyond my recognition (maybe I can jump it?).  If there's roughly an inch across the BR and Lake O, I'd bet Lauderdale slew has a couple inches. But you won't catch me on it until there's at least 4" of ice and some stable cold nights.
Thanks for the report. I'll just keep relining poles and making sure I'm ready when winter does hit.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2015, 01:26 AM »
It's not looking good.

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Looks like a little colder temperatures coming after the front next week. Maybe we can get a few inches so some of the backwaters can freeze over.
Just talked to a guy Sunday that said there was still ice off fisherman's RD into lake O, I assumed by the sail boat club? Said he wanted to take his kayak in there but an inch of ice still. Really bad ice he said but enough to prevent him from fishing in his kayak.
Maybe this big system coming through this weekend will drop the polar vortex long enough to make 6" of ice. Doubt it but the days are short right now...

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2015, 03:02 PM »
Fishermans Rd. and the Sailboat club are on opposite sides of the airport.  I haven't been by the lake since I went to check that one time but even the small ponds along the highway have been open for quite a while so I doubt there is anything left on the lake at all.

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2015, 03:22 PM »
I guess I'd assume the little bay at the end of fisherman's road before the spillway.
I forgot the sail boat club is on lakeshore.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2015, 12:30 AM »
You guys are making me drool, my itch was getting so bad, its turning into hives.  Got out on a higher reservoir in the high country 12" of good ice but just cant get excited about fishing for trout,  Targeted the Pike but came home without a single hit.
Bud

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2015, 08:25 PM »
Temps look good on the 10 day.  Maybe in the next week.  Maybe.

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2015, 10:17 AM »
Has anyone scouted around to see if there's any ice in the lax area? I'm hoping nothing froze over the weekend so this snow doesn't get dumped on the top of it. Cold weather this week will hopefully lock some stuff up for fishing over new years weekend.

Offline Troutbum12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2015, 12:12 PM »
La Crosse is going to get the highest snow totals out of this storm!

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2015, 12:28 PM »
La Crosse is going to get the highest snow totals out of this storm!
Which is why I'm hoping there isn't any ice yet so the snow doesn't insulate an inch of ice preventing new ice from forming more rapidly.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2015, 04:30 AM »
Just cleared about 6" off my car and there's more coming.  Nothing over freezing on the 10 day, don't think it's gonna happen before the new year but I'm hoping to be icing eyes come this weekend.

Offline turk762

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2015, 11:09 PM »
Not much ice on Lake Onalaska. It appears the snow melted into the Lake. Watched geese out there all day, swimming. Everyday when I open the shades to my front window I am looking at the lake for ice. Cold weather is coming, cross your fingers.

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2015, 09:58 AM »
I'm only working a half day tomorrow, so around noon, I'll be going for a little drive and check a bunch of different back waters to see where and how much ice there is everywhere and will report back tomorrow night. I'm guessing that most places won't be safe until Saturday.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2016, 06:23 AM »
On Wednesday afternoon I checked a spot that had enough ice to hold me, just barely.  I bet if I go check it again later there will be someone out there.  Might try to get out tomorrow depending on what I find today.

Offline turk762

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2016, 10:02 AM »
Three guys were fishing north of the air port yesterday. They said that their was about three inches of ice. The ice was white and looked iffy to me. I attempted to walk out to one guy to check the thickness felt some cracking and that was enough for me, I got off the ice. The guy fishing were thinner then I am so I decide to give it another day or two.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2016, 01:00 PM »
It has begun.

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 01, 2016, 08:12 PM »
I fished today. Tried  end of isle laplume. Nothing there. Then went to the gravel pit behind Gunderson. 3 crappie. Then went to the end of fisherman's road. Nothing there. Ice is sketchy. 3 inches most everywhere. Supports 1 person but wouldn't have a card party out there. Saw some people on airport beach this evening.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2016, 08:26 PM »
Nuckin futs to be out off the beach this early, there's current and it's 20' deep.  I usually give that one a little extra time to mature.  Gonna try to hit up one of my walleye spots tomorrow afternoon.  I spudded it today and it was probably good enough but there wasn't anyone else around and I didn't feel like pushing my luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.