New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Staying on the ice  (Read 1240 times)

Offline RodandBobber

• Team IceShanty Regular
Staying on the ice
« on: Sep 24, 2015, 11:22 PM »
Might be a little early, but we have a group of 10 guys who are looking to spend an entire weekend on the ice this year. Friday-Sunday. Given the size of our group, we are looking for some ideas as to what some of you guys might have used for "lodging" yourselves or just some creative ideas that won't break the bank. Thanks
I thank God for everything in my life. But I especially thank God for ice.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Staying on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2015, 12:51 AM »
could you rent an arctic tent?

Offline RodandBobber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2015, 06:43 AM »
I guess we could look into something like that, but I'm not even sure where to start looking

Offline RodandBobber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2015, 06:46 AM »
Our current thought is to use a 10' x 20' carport with the enclosure kit. Plan on modifying it with a stove pipe jack and portable wood stove for heat. My main concern with this option is melting ice on the floor creating a wet mess.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2015, 07:04 AM »
Just wondering. Do you have to camp on the ice? Setting up a base camp on or near the shore might be easier. I've done winter camping trips but never stayed on the ice.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2015, 07:56 AM »
You will have a sloppy wet mess on the floor for sure. We do this several times a year with 3-5 guys. We just bring comfortable lean back chairs and take a nap in those for a few hours at night. But if you plan to lay down you will want elevated cots. I woudnt mess with the wood stove I would have 1 or 2 big buddy heaters with plenty of propane. Carport idea is not a bad idea at all though.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2015, 08:20 AM »
When guiding smelt I do overnight trips and have had as many as 20 people on the ice before. Now granted, we are fishing overnight, but frequently I have clients need to zonk out for a few hours to keep up with the big boys....
Aside from a SnoBear, which I could happly demo for you...cough cough...

What we use for lodging on the ice are the HT Arctic Bay 4 man shelters. Sleeping wise, you can really only fit two grown men at a time to sleep, three if you are well acquainted. It is a "suitcase Style" shelter with a hard plastic floor that will raise you a couple inches off the ice and keep you dry. It is not insulated however, so you will need a buddy heater. It does have a vented top so any fumes escape easily. I run my buddy heaters with a weber gas grill adaptor so I can run a 20# cylinder outside. These should run you no more than about $199 at retail.

Only a couple draw backs, and it would really only depend on the weather when you go. 1.The spreader bars to dome the roof are honestly pretty much useless and I don't use them. This will make the roof a tiny bit leak if it rains. 2. If it is really cold and you run the heater inside the shelter, water can condense on the zipper and freeze it shut. Not a huge deal, it melts right off, but if you try to force it open or closed you could damage the zipper.

Hope this helps. I do about 15 overnighters a year and these haven't failed me yet!

Good luck
P

Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline RodandBobber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2015, 09:03 AM »
Need to plan on staying on the ice as I'm not sure about setting up on land due to it being private property most likely. We are planning on the wood stove to help combat condensation and help dry gear.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2015, 01:13 PM »
Craigslist New York has some Possibles  Military GP Tent 16x32 for 2 hundred Fair Condition- Potsdan Massena

Cabelas Big Horn ll Outfitters Tent with Vestibule 12x23 with Vestibule  750

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2015, 02:29 PM »
You must be a tight bunch. Sure, I enjoy my fishing & hunting buddies, but if we spend that much time together, we'd be punching each other's teeth out. ;D
I'll second the Craig's list recommendation. I've seen some pretty good deals on large military tents with stove pipe vents this past summer. Use those interlocking foam mats for a floor, won't get wet like carpet.
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2015, 02:47 PM »
If you put a wood stove into anything, no matter what type of floor you have down, bring cots to stay well up off the ice, especially if there is any snowpack on the ice, you will have water coming into the tent.
This is sounding like a large operation, hopefully you have a way to get all this on and off the ice. After being up for a weekend or longer a heavy canvas tent can get quite heavy.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2015, 09:25 PM »
If enough of you in the party have portable shanties, just use these with 2 guys per shanty. I have done many overnights in one, just with a Big buddy heater and sleeping on a cot, as others have mentioned. I don't know about a big carport or other tent, but with a few heaters running it could work. A cot to stay well above the ice is mandatory for ice camping.

The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2015, 05:49 PM »
I am going with thermal 6 sided hub to sleep in..along with a cot. Have a big buddy. They makke double hub style pop ups..look into that maybe. Any tips to a new over night ice camper?

Offline RodandBobber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 30, 2015, 10:43 PM »
We have a six sided hub and a double hub. The main problem is the amount of guys going. We make this trip every year and have a few older guys that really need the warmth of a wood stove. Not to mention the fact that it will dry out any wet gear. We did end up purchasing a carport and are going to modify it by cutting the side pokes down a few inches to help create a skirt around the outside, installing a stove pipe Jack in one of the side walls and sewing in some reinforced tie downs on the top of the canopy over the trusses. As far as advice for a first timer, I gues it depends on the amount of guys going. The first year we went, we just used a regular tent. We put down some 1" foam board and a tarp, then set the tent on top. We slept 5 guys in a 4 person tent without a heater and it was HOT in there. Had a bit of a problem with the condensation freezing the zippers but it was -10 that night. Just make sure you take fresh socks and gloves for day 2.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2015, 09:52 PM »
should be an awesome weekend

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 02, 2015, 07:49 AM »
that's a great idea cutting the poles down to make flaps. Good thinking. How do you plan on anchoring it? How tough is it gonna be to set it up on the ice?

Offline RodandBobber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 02, 2015, 10:51 PM »
We plan on running ropes from the frame at the top of the poles down to ice anchors and throwing some heavy ropes or straps over the roof supports staked down as well. Hopefully it sets up pretty quick. We will retro fit it and do a dry run next weekend after the carport arrives. I will share updates as we move along.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.