The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Sonar newbie here  (Read 3109 times)

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sonar newbie here
« on: Sep 22, 2015, 08:13 AM »
In the closing weeks of summer I've been thinking about picking up an ice fishing sonar for this season, I've never owned one but in the past I have used a fl-8 and and also have used a marcum 2.0 troller , things I like about each are they both showed my jigvery well, the marcum had a nice steady mark while the vex was flickering in and out, messed with the sensitivity a little with no help, I also like how the marcum reads vertically instead of around like a typical flasher unit, but also like how the standard color flashers have different colors for position of fish under you, red yellow green and so on, so my question is for you guys, what do you recommend , take in consideration I normally fish in about 10-25fow with the exception of gull lake where I'm in about 35-80fow, I'd like to ins a unit that can do well in both conditions, not looking to break the bank here an not looking for gps or anything like that on my unit, thoughts on the marcum 5.6 dual beam? I heard it's pretty decent. And I know this entire subject has been Beaton to death in previous threads bit new products come out each year and I'm not exactly up to date on all the electronics hype, thanks in advance guys! Hope to hear some good advise!

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Sonar newbie here
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2015, 08:45 AM »
couple things, you didn't mention if you fish in the dark with plankton and what size jigs you want to use down deep.
planktonmess's with us big time the deeper we fish and the darker it gets and the shown down and hummnbird ice-55 get trashed from it fast. so far, the lx-6/7/9 will handle it the best and i can fish for some time before i even see it while my buds either quit or leave because of it.
also, the deeper you go the more gain you need to see your jig. the bigger the jig, the easier the sonar can see it
the showdown dual beam has been discontinued for a few years and if you can find one, its left over stock.

digital is all i would ever recommend in what ever brand you find has best support and features and warranty. thats why i went with marcum, they are the leaders in digital ice fishing sonars and offer plenty of features and tuneability.
the way you fish with it makes it a bouns as well, with the arm holding just the bottom in the water so no wires/puck in the way, for the most part and makes it so you can leave the puck in the hole.
its also for all year fishing with several boat transducers available for it.

stay away from humminbird BIG time! their customer service is the pits!! they are big rip offs.
vex are big blobs of 3 colors as you noticed. marcum is 6 color and a graph and vertical displays all at the same time.

check them out. they are a sponsor here too.
so i would recomend the lx-6i on sale around thanksgiving/cyber sales.

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2015, 09:28 AM »
Thanks for the fast response, what was the reasoning for getting rid of the dual beam 5.6? I found a few available online, I checked out the lx6 and it's a bit out of my price range but not quite out of the question yet

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2015, 10:10 AM »
marcum/chris said it wasn't a good seller or they would not have pulled it. i think it had a slow start myself.
i know it had a different name/brand when it first hit the market. auqaview maybe, and then got bought up by marcum who got bought up by rapala. also, the showdown uses a heater to try to keep the display reaction times correct or real time and no delays. the lx6/7/9 does not need one.
i found the first one for a buddy for 225$ and he still has it and went with the dual beam last season to get the update they charge for it (50$ back then) and his power button was broke, so he just unpluged the battery to turn it off/on. it was the 2.1 version i think and sold for 275$ retail and another 50$ for the 5.6 update and you'd have 325$ into it plus shipping. so they just sold the 5.6 for 350$ and then came out with the 5.6 dual beam for another 50$. playing with numbers like that might have been its downfall too.
after you use one, you'll wish it had color tho and so i think it sort of over laps their line up and they want you to have color anyway. it is only one chart also and the lx6 has up to 4 charts/displays at one time. being adjustable display/charts it is much better in every way. having the graph and vertical displays are very nice. the graph will show suttle changes the vertical can't as well and is it a history of sorts so you tell whats going on better. i like the vertical too to see the faster movements. the vertical zoom is really nice, because the of the tiny target seperation of the normal vetical display makes the tagets seem too close together and the zoom magnafies that. you could just bump up the target seperation, but why when you can use it with the zoom.
the way it process's the data is way better too. i think you should be able to pick one up for 500$ around turkey day or soon after. thats only 100$ more than you were willing to spend and you get a 6 color fish finder (graph/flasher) you can use all year. so its really two sonars in one.

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2015, 12:02 PM »
Thanks hopefully I can find one online for a deal or a Black Friday special

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2015, 05:09 PM »
Thanks hopefully I can find one online for a deal or a Black Friday special

I would keep a eye out for a humming bird helix 5 sonar with out the gps my self there selling for 199.99 right now retail any discount you get is even better yet 5 inch screen even has a flasher setting on it.. if any thing you can add a transducer later for like I think it was $80 and battery for like 10-20 bucks and maybe even a dave genz flasher case for $25 equals =  $125 all ebay prices... but if you can get $20 or even $50 off that flasher might be worth going to cabelas or waiting for black Friday... they even have a gps model which is cool for marking locations were you found fish in the spring fall and summer and track back to them liked marking weed line to come back to in the winter etc..etc...   any how were all looking for black Friday gear but hope you get it if any thing...

there are difference between the humming bird and the Marcum the Marcum lx6s is a deep water unit which would preform better in deep water... but how does it preform in shallow with a 8* and a 20* cone angle which are deep water cone angles... now the humming birds are 20* and 60 * which give more angle for shallow water say up to 30 foot  best used under 30 foot of water  for the 60* cone angle...   that were there target separation is looser  then Marcum's  on the humming bird cause there not shooting for deep water were the plankton become a problem for separation... but it all depends on the transducer you can  get. like the 8* is for deep water depths say to 150+foot  and the 20 * is for mid depths say to around 60-70 foot max now same for the humming bird were the  20* is for mid depths 60 - 70 foot max  and the 60* is for shallow depths up to 30 foot ... you got to look at the transducer and decide what you pan to fish the most  is what I suggest the Marcum is a great unit don't get me wrong the humming bird is also ok but I am thinking humming bird is better then lowrance units for price stand points... that why I said them but if fishing more lake trout etc deep water fishes I would go for the Marcum units.... maybe in the future you could get a unit were all you got to do is switch out the transducers for deep to shallow but problem is no one wants to deal with that yet...  if any thing check to see if you can get a different cone angle for  the Marcum if you can I would go with it for sure...  which I don't thing you can??   

also go with cone angle say the 8* will be  8 inches in 10 foot of water were the 20* will have a 15 inch foot print in 10 foot of water were a 60* 30 inch of foot print 10 foot down this means a 30 inch circle on the bottom of the lake is what the transducer pic up.. but if you go deeper the foot print get bigger... say for a 20 foot down the 8* cone picks up say 16 inches and so on these are just examples for what I am talking about not true tail facts... 

Offline ifish4fishwithteeth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2015, 07:45 PM »
I may be "old school" but the LX-5 does everything I need it to.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2015, 07:57 AM »
I may be "old school" but the LX-5 does everything I need it to.
Older school. Love my LX3
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2015, 08:59 AM »
I feel older than dirt. I bought my FL8 when they first came out and it just won't die.  Can't replace it 'till it does. SWMBO has spoken.  It works well enough.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2015, 10:16 AM »
i talked to a distributer yesterday and he says "helix" is whats hot for now. to keep your eyes on that tech.
i know humminbird has it, but i won't get burned again from them. so maybe some other company like marcum some day. i'm set for now anyway, but wanted to share what i was told before you buy any thing.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2015, 02:45 PM »
@3300
I am glad you said that cause the h.b. is new tech at low price for some reason I feel lowrance is going to follow suit and I should wait on buying cause lowrance will come out with better stuff next week...  the h.b. it seems like bidding wars but for selling are going on between humming bird and lowrance...and lowrance is tad better?? basically same as you said there above...

@steelheader32
 truth fully if you fish a lot of deep water the Marcum is the way to go so is vexilar but we know about the blurs the vexes cause for some ... I thought you were asking more about modern equipment  and what the deciding factor are between different equipment...just read you post all wrong when trying to help you out... I would suggest the Marcum over it all...  if he liked his fl8 I could see him getting the Marcum lx3 same kind of blur I think same kind of deep water use again as the Marcum's and vexes.. the nice thing about vexes they got interchangeable transducers like a 9* a 12* and a 19* which humming bird does not which Marcum does not plus the screen are not lcd  which in extreme temps are know to freeze and crack...    which if you buy the lx6s I would not keep it in the truck as storage over night or for weeks on end  if I was you...  but for sure the lx6 is better cause you don't got to buy two transducers for it.. like a 9* and a19* it come with a dual mode transducer a 8* and a 20* see the point...but since you don't like the vexes and I think you will like the Marcum I will leave it at this....

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2015, 04:08 PM »
I think I'm gonna go with the lx6, seems it has wee urging I want plus some, may take me a while to get to know all the functions but sounds like it's worth it, just waitin for the right sale to Pop up, I did find a used lx5 this week but the guy never did give me a solid price, was one of those "make me an offer" things

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2015, 06:31 PM »
I think I'm gonna go with the lx6, seems it has wee urging I want plus some, may take me a while to get to know all the functions but sounds like it's worth it, just waitin for the right sale to Pop up, I did find a used lx5 this week but the guy never did give me a solid price, was one of those "make me an offer" things

what ever you do look at the screen in simulator mode before you buy it at gander cabelas or what ever dicks sports etc....to see if you can enjoy it you said there was a complaint about the vexlars so keep that in mind when looking at the screen see if you got the same problem or not...  if not I would say go for it also ultimate sport show have these units at them most of the time just a tip so if you cant find it right away mite want to look at it there first...

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2015, 07:19 PM »
i'd stay clear of the lx5 as the motors wear out every year for many and that may be why its for sale. there is plenty of chatter on here about in the equipment section or fishing with electronics sub section.
the simulator looks bad on the lx6/7/9's.
use youtube if you want to see one in action or better yet i sold you some in-line reels last season at panera bread in bc and we can meet up and i can show you the unit, well an lx7 anyway. being on ice would be the best way to show you one tho, but then the sales will be over when you need one the most.
remember we talked about tucker being your uncle i went to school with?

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2015, 07:30 AM »
i'd stay clear of the lx5 as the motors wear out every year for many and that may be why its for sale. there is plenty of chatter on here about in the equipment section or fishing with electronics sub section.
the simulator looks bad on the lx6/7/9's.
use youtube if you want to see one in action or better yet i sold you some in-line reels last season at panera bread in bc and we can meet up and i can show you the unit, well an lx7 anyway. being on ice would be the best way to show you one tho, but then the sales will be over when you need one the most.
remember we talked about tucker being your uncle i went to school with?

Yup I remember, that would be great I we could get together sometime and discuss the flashers, I'm starting I get antsy about this season already

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Sep 24, 2015, 08:43 AM »
i'll send my phone # to a pm and we can talk on the phone when and where theres a dock at aleast.

bunch of lx6 reviews on youtube
[ Invalid YouTube link ]marcum+lx6+review

heres why i went with the lx7. i can take the cash hit in steps this way instead of all at once. its another 500$ to turn it into a dvr and camera and watch both at once cam/sonar. i found a site that sells the lx9 for 1016$ and they sell the lx7 for 605$. thats what i paid for mine.

Offline Jig_Pounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2015, 11:17 AM »
I have Vexilar FL-12 that I have been using for the last 4 years. I cannot beat the quality of this flasher. It does everything I need it to do on the ice and I have never had an issue with it. The nice thing is that with all the new flashers on the market you can still get into a nice flasher for much lower price then what they use to be. When I bought my FL-12 is was not the latest and greatest but was what I was looking for and the price was very affordable compared to the new models.

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2015, 11:24 AM »
May not seem like a big deal but the digital units are silent...spending all day fishing with a mechanical flasher gets a bit annoying on the ears. BTW...I own a Marcum LX7 and I love it....bought a open water ducer for my trolling motor this spring, so now I use it year round.
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2015, 11:33 AM »
What's the cheapest you all have seen the lx6 or lx6 go for?

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Oct 01, 2015, 07:36 AM »
like i said, around turkey day the sales start up. they are already starting according to the news.
500$ is lowest i've seen it and free ship, no tax. thats another 50$ saved right there.
btw, its 84 days til xmas.
just run it thru a search engine often to find a price break or add to a bunch of carts and subscribe to get notifications about the item or sales.

May not seem like a big deal but the digital units are silent...spending all day fishing with a mechanical flasher gets a bit annoying on the ears. BTW...I own a Marcum LX7 and I love it....bought a open water ducer for my trolling motor this spring, so now I use it year round.

x2!!

i hated that sound when it was off balance and i hated trying to look at it in the dark with no way of turning down the brightness. i would try every thing to make all the noise stop, but it always came back too soon. they do not balance the the hub that spins. it must be too much effort for them and still charge 500$ for a peice of junk ice-55.

after having the lx7, their is no comparison other than it finds fish to any thing else out there. days of the old analog tech. are long gone for me as well.

don't forget, marcum has a new performance firmware (features and performance can be uupdated via firmware with marcum lx6/7/9 for ever. thats a huge deal maker) for the shallow water/3 foot missing (for some) from transducer downword in early january. i think they are waiting for ice to make sure its ready for release.
the firmware/updates are free. thats another reason they charge more up front. they used to charge 50$ for an updated firmware.

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 02, 2015, 11:20 AM »
........don't forget, marcum has a new performance firmware (features and performance can be uupdated via firmware with marcum lx6/7/9 for ever. thats a huge deal maker) for the shallow water/3 foot missing (for some) from transducer downword in early january. i think they are waiting for ice to make sure its ready for release....

Really!!  That's my only complaint of my LX7, I fish a lot in 6-7fow...can only see my lure in the bottom maybe 1.5feet when fishing that shallow.  I barely put the ducer in the water in order to try to gain a larger "viewing window" but it doesn't help that much.  Emailed Marcum and they said to do the ducer thing and try open water mode...pffft made no difference.  Now my buddy has a LX7 (older, but using the same firmware version) and he doesn't have the issue....weird....we think they changed their ducer somewhere along the line.  ???
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Oct 02, 2015, 11:47 AM »
Really!!  That's my only complaint of my LX7, I fish a lot in 6-7fow...can only see my lure in the bottom maybe 1.5feet when fishing that shallow.  I barely put the ducer in the water in order to try to gain a larger "viewing window" but it doesn't help that much.  Emailed Marcum and they said to do the ducer thing and try open water mode...pffft made no difference.  Now my buddy has a LX7 (older, but using the same firmware version) and he doesn't have the issue....weird....we think they changed their ducer somewhere along the line.  ???

Have you tried swapping transducers with your buddy and vice versa....and if all is well with your  swap and your buddy's Marcum experiences the "dead zone"... inform Marcum of your findings  .. I would think that if they had to exchange the first run transducers it would be a expensive recall/exchange...Vexilar had a bad batch of TriBeam transducers but that was a limited quantity...I just exchanged mine ..only cost to me was shipping out ...and fast return 7 day turnaround total.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Oct 02, 2015, 11:51 AM »
In the closing weeks of summer I've been thinking about picking up an ice fishing sonar for this season, I've never owned one but in the past I have used a fl-8 and and also have used a marcum 2.0 troller , things I like about each are they both showed my jigvery well, the marcum had a nice steady mark while the vex was flickering in and out, messed with the sensitivity a little with no help, I also like how the marcum reads vertically instead of around like a typical flasher unit, but also like how the standard color flashers have different colors for position of fish under you, red yellow green and so on, so my question is for you guys, what do you recommend , take in consideration I normally fish in about 10-25fow with the exception of gull lake where I'm in about 35-80fow, I'd like to ins a unit that can do well in both conditions, not looking to break the bank here an not looking for gps or anything like that on my unit, thoughts on the marcum 5.6 dual beam? I heard it's pretty decent. And I know this entire subject has been Beaton to death in previous threads bit new products come out each year and I'm not exactly up to date on all the electronics hype, thanks in advance guys! Hope to hear some good advise!

Good video on the Vexilar line up ...when I started looking for my Vexilar some 10 plus year it was limited research material and reviews and practically no videos .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 02, 2015, 10:27 PM »
Customer service on HB graph units is 2nd to none...on the ice flasher series - not so much, mostly because they're being phased out

Catchin' Fish

Offline Just Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 18, 2015, 09:36 AM »
I was going to start a new thread, but since there is a lot of good discussion on this one I thought I'd ask a question.
I am color blind and can not see the difference in reds or greens, sometimes yellows also look like greens....what would be a good unit for me to buy?
Would a underwater camera be my best bet?

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Oct 18, 2015, 09:56 AM »
I was going to start a new thread, but since there is a lot of good discussion on this one I thought I'd ask a question.
I am color blind and can not see the difference in reds or greens, sometimes yellows also look like greens....what would be a good unit for me to buy?

Vexilar has a solution for Color blind anglers

http://www.vexilar.com/blog/2014/12/29/blue-light-conversion?_ga=1.253125961.1388971649.1444576275

I would call them to verify which units that are covered .

as for which unit ...good video

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #26 on: Oct 18, 2015, 10:00 AM »

The Showdown would work well for you......
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Oct 18, 2015, 10:00 AM »

I honestly think a flasher is better than an underwater camera. A camera will only show you fish that are in front of the camera. Not the ones that are off to the side, behind, above, or below. A flasher will show you if there are fish within the cone angle and where at in the water column they are. Not sure what unit would be good for you to buy, but I would check out some display models if you can. I have a Lowrance Elite 5 HDI unit and I can change the color pallet on it. That might be a feature that you need.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Oct 18, 2015, 10:04 AM »

Every tool has its place ....a flasher will let you ice more fish than a camera ...cameras are a tool best used for verifying/locating  types of things ...structure ...fish ...bottom composition.

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Oct 18, 2015, 10:05 AM »
marum has a new firmware to address that issue due out early january.

marcum has switchable color palates for color blind folks on thier lx6/7/9 or gray scale
humminbird ice-35/45/45 series does too no gray scale option, but i would not own another one even if it was given to me.
marcum showdown is 9 level gray scale and no color at all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.