The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Building A Shanty On Wheels  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Building A Shanty On Wheels
« on: Sep 21, 2015, 09:15 PM »
I recently bought a Pop-up camper that had been turned into a utility trailer which I am now turning into a shanty. Already has plywood flooring and is 6x8. This will be my first build and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips? I plan on using 2x2's for the framing. 80inches on the high side and 72 on the short. Insulation and not sure if I want to use plywood or Vinyl siding for the exterior with the interior walls being done with just Plywood. Maybe a pop-out up top towards the tongue of the trailer to place things. A fold down table that can be hung on the ceiling when not in use. My initial thought is to do 2 6ft long benches on both of the 8ft sides leaving 2ft at one end to put in the propane stove/wood stove. The benches being flip ups for optimal space usage.. never can have enough storage! I have a small wood stove that would be perfect but I'm undecided on putting that in because I've never done that before and installing the small propane stovetop I have would be very simple. The other 2ft space on the opposite side would be used as a cabinet and on top just table space or radio/tv. I bought a little device for my kayak that I plug in to a car battery and I can use 2 sockets, 1 cigarette lighter, and 1 usb. I tested it out with a radio and got a full days use and when I used a very small old tv I left it on and it died between hour 5 and 6 when I was checking on it. 4 holes for jigging which will be sleeved with PVC or buckets. I'm hoping to find 3 free or cheap windows to use. For the roof I found that using a thick hard plastic was the way to go on our older shanties. Those though I had nothing to do with the construction of. On sunny days you don't even have to use the stove and it warms right up and creates a lot of natural light. I'm hoping to finish it before the start of Bow Season and will be posting photos when I'm done. Might take a little longer than that but that's the hope! Im open to any suggestions/ideas as this is the first one I've ever built.

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
Re: Building A Shanty On Wheels
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2015, 05:09 AM »
Sounds like a fun project!
I have two thoughts for you
1) keep in mind that weight builds up quickly! Before you know it it will be very heavy, if you're going to ply inside and out, use luan, or other 1/4" ply on the inside
2) when building the inside commodities use screws not nails. It will be much easier  to modify, and fine tune layout if needed in the future. Screws come out easy, nails do not!
3) one more... It would great if you started a build thread and we could see the process and progress!
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2015, 06:20 AM »
Awesome! Love to follow shanty builds, here is a link to the "Ice Shack Tips" forum here on IS, it is LOADED with shanty builds and will inspire you (or overwhelm you  ;D) with all the different way people have built their shanties.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=33.0

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2015, 11:21 AM »
Speaking from experience, reinforce frame at the hitch area. Mine broke pulling down the road a few years ago, & have another in my yard I acquired with the same problem.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2015, 06:35 PM »
Wmhunts:
Is there a different material you would suggest using? I really wanted to make it insulated but am just not sure on the building material to use to keep it lightweight and durable. Thanks for the tips on the screws too!! I probably wouldn't have thought of that and then been in a pickle. Once I get a couple good days too work on it I'll take some process pictures.

Lavman:
I've been scrolling through there A LOT lately. Fortunately for me my internet isn't too good here or else I'd probably be scrolling through for hours seeing everybody's shanties. When I'm completely done I'll post a start-finish process on that site, even though I'm sure mine won't be even close to the quality of some of those guys!

Grampieshanty:
That's a good idea. How did you go about reinforcing yours?

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2015, 08:21 AM »
I ran angle iron 3/16 i think from the axle out the front & adapted the hitch to that. Welded everything solid. The one I aquired I'm doing the same & selling it. Good luck.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2015, 12:13 PM »
I ran angle iron 3/16 i think from the axle out the front & adapted the hitch to that. Welded everything solid. The one I aquired I'm doing the same & selling it. Good luck.

Thank you. I'm going to do that tonight. Looks like I've got a few days off starting next Wednesday so I'm going to pick up materials throughout the week and consider the options before getting started on Wednesday.

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2015, 07:41 PM »
I would go with 1/4 inch ply on the inside and no more than half on the outside I found a place in nh that sells 1/8" fiberglass sheets on Craigs list, never did build a shack though and I just sold the sheets, he may still be on nh craigslist, search fiberglass panels

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2015, 08:30 PM »
Can help you out with free windows. Also I am selling the acquired shanty on wheels. Let me know if your interested in either.

Got some windows from my neighbor but thanks anyways!

I would go with 1/4 inch ply on the inside and no more than half on the outside I found a place in nh that sells 1/8" fiberglass sheets on Craigs list, never did build a shack though and I just sold the sheets, he may still be on nh craigslist, search fiberglass panels

I'll take a look for those. Thank you. We are debating on making it a real "pad" on the ice or just putting in the more standard custom benches. Planned on doing some today but mother nature was against that idea. Going to use most of tomorrow to put in the frame work!

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2015, 12:00 PM »
Go for comfort!
If you want to suffer you can always step outside!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 02, 2015, 01:01 PM »
Sounds like your making some progress, that's what I have it's a old pop up converted.
1/4" plywood exterior and a recycled rubber membrane roof to keep it light.
I run a woodstove because I like a dry heat.
12 volt LED lighting with a small solar panel works really well.
Post some pics would like to see your build.
Another season or 2 out of mine and I'll be building another.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2015, 12:40 PM »
Any progress?
Looking forward to seeing some pics.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2015, 08:02 AM »
Propane heat is a lot more portable than wood. Wood tends to weigh a lot.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2015, 12:16 PM »
Any progress?
Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Yah, how we makin' out here?  ;D ;D

Offline DaSquatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2015, 06:56 AM »
I built one out of a large pop-up.  13x8 with a slide out!  figured out a way to keep the slide-out, so we have a dinette-queen bed combo.  Also kept the forced air furnace and sink.  Added a four burner cooktop/oven combo out of an rv, and a homemade woodstove.  Lots of insulation, and cedar tongue and groove inside.  We love it, spending long weekends on the ice and having a comfy place to cook, sleep and socialize.  We use it as a hub as well as to fish out of (3 holes).  And, it makes a great deer camp for two.  But.....it's too heavy.  I'm gonna have to build a heavier axle, the original is a bit warped.   That's not a problem, but removing it from the ice when the snow is deep has been a challenge.  I built steel skis that help alot, but if it's hard, or impossible, to go with a pick-up, you're pretty screwed.  Last year, on Memphremagog when the date arrives to remove shacks "or else" some of the big shacks out there had to be dismantled.  A couple got burned.  So, the other posters are correct, build it as light as you can afford to.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.