Author Topic: Lures / Lure weights for walleye?  (Read 8281 times)

Offline lacquiparlelegend

• IceShanty Rookie
Lures / Lure weights for walleye?
« on: Sep 16, 2015, 08:54 PM »
What's your guys favorite lures and what weights do you use for jigging walleye? I have a few buckshot's and macho minnows but I was looking to buy some more tackle but not sure what weights to go with. The VMC Tingler spoon looks like a good lure but just wondering what weight to go with.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lures / Lure weights for walleye?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2015, 11:13 PM »
Only thing I have caught walleyes under the ice on have been size 5 and 7 jigging rapalas. Normally have to tip them with a minnow but have caught one last year with no bait.

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2015, 11:28 PM »
I fish alot of walleye here in SD, and some of my go to lures are Acme Little Cleo spoons, anything from 1/4 to 1/2 oz. I love using the slender spoons from custom jigs and spins, all sizes will catch fish. Rapala Rippin Raps work great.  Anything from UL #4 to #6 work best for me. Most any kind of spoon or jigging bait will catch fish, but my #1 go to lure would be the little cleo spoon in gold, tipped with a minnow head.
I'm also interested to see what others like to use. Always looking for new and better baits!

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2015, 02:20 AM »
I would say any size lure the rod you are using can handle without being overloaded. I started bringing out a MH, M, and ML rod with me last year to cover the lures I have(anywhere from 1/8 to 5/8).  That Tingler spoon is pretty light for its size so I would go with either of the two larger sizes, but that's just me.

Offline mazak730

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2015, 02:28 AM »
My go to lure is a #5 Rapala jigging rap Glow Yellow Perch. I also use a lot of custom spoons that are made here in Michigan. They use the Cleo body on them. As far as line. I run 8lb Fireline to a barrel swivel then about 2.5 feet of 8 or 10 lb fluorocarbon depending on where I am fishing at. snap swivel on the end of that and that's it.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2015, 08:56 AM »
My go tos are #5 & #7 rapalas and #3 do jiggers along with ice slammer spoons. I fish these lures on medium light, medium, and medium heavy rods depending on what and where I'm fishing. Most of the time I run 10# power pro but I'll fish 5# in the rivers.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2015, 02:05 PM »
We have had good luck with Chubby Darter, most often in Perch colors...

Offline Walleyerus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2015, 01:37 PM »
Spoons seem to work well. The PK flutter fish and PK spoons are Killer for Many of us in Canada. Check out the web page www.pklures.com or the face Book page. In Feb 2015 there was a guy using it and caught the Fresh water fishing hall of fame Live release walleye on the Flutter fish. And watch a show 2 weeks ago on In-fisherman TV and they used them Crushed some Monster eyes. With all the good anglers on here you will get some great tips and just experiment. 1/8 to 3/8 of an oz is normal. But depends on depth and color as to what that fish want to eat on that particular day. Good luck have a great winter.  :tipup: :tipup: :)  Ps The PK predator rocks for Monster Perch and Crappie.

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2015, 03:09 PM »
2" is apperantly the magic length.  Most of what they eat is at those lengths.

Offline Wyomingbohunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2015, 02:08 PM »
pk lures, perch colors, orange tiger stripe, bright/flashy color.

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2015, 02:55 AM »
#5 (2") jigging raps are deadly. Most of what a Walleye eats are in that size range.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2016, 11:53 AM »
Anything from 1/8 to 5/8 oz.  3/4 oz top if I'm bottom banging a big spoon/buckshot.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.